Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by Anonymous, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clrnc

Clrnc Well-Known Member Trusted

Ok that explains it :oops:

2. yuvken

yuvken New Member Elite

It probably needs to be weighed according to the benefits: how much is gained by sacrificing Av size?
    I assume there's much to be gained. In light of that - small Avs - fine. No Avs, however, is not really a good idea IMO. Identity, comfort, a bit of the atmosphere.
    For instance you sometimes want to just have a quick look, see who's around, or interested in specific people's take on a specific subject - missing. Anyway, good luck with the adaptations, and keep up the good work.

3. The Escaped Ape

The Escaped Ape Active Member Trusted

Getting rid of avatars or reducing them in size significantly will reduce the graphic impact/style of AM. It'll make you less attractive to users. I know I partly was attracted to AM because it looked like a professionally designed site, easy on the eye (and the articles - this was before I'd immersed myself in Lobby debates...). Having an avatar that a user feels gives them some space for self-expression within that design is part of the attraction.

If it ends up looking like some sites out there where half the page is taken up by adverts, you're going to lose a lot of that attraction and could well end up losing regular customers, which of course is not in the interest of your advertisers.

Is there the same issue if avatars are linked rather than uploaded? You could limit the size of uploaded avs to 100x100 to save load on the site and allow people to link avs up to 150x150.

4. The Escaped Ape

The Escaped Ape Active Member Trusted

Oh, yes, that reminds me. Having avs at the bottom of the post looks pants.

5. Swish

Swish New Member

Why not just move the avatar to the left, and have the content on the right? Make the max dimensions 80x80 (still plenty big enough) and don't have it at the bottom which wastes more content space than saving it.

Just look around at the plenty of other forums that utilise avatars.

I'd also seriously recommend the scrapping of only the favoured members having it. Avatars are there to have some uniqueness to your posts. People can that way, quickly scroll past all the rubbish that known members with known avatars posting known rubbish in the threads.

6. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Arse Emeritus Administrator

:? Are you on crack?

In fact, don't bother answering.

7. dodge

dodge New Member

Swish on crack has a valid point tho' moving avatars from right to left, saving space, etc.

I am up for changes every now and then but not this one, hate it!

No crack here, just finished me horlicks= now going to hit the sack ni ni;)

8. -Shaun-

-Shaun- New Member

Are avatars meant to be staying at the bottom of the users post, or are people sorting it out?

9. goonerleila

goonerleila New Member

I wonder if someone can help. I have tried switching my avatar on a few occasions and each time it reverts back to my original one. Is there a solution to this problem that I've not tried?

10. Don Pacifico

Don Pacifico New Member Elite

Have you tried clearing your cache? I think that was meant to do it.

11. goonerleila

goonerleila New Member

Cheers Don, I've done that so hopefully that solved the problem :)

12. -Shaun-

-Shaun- New Member

Anyone that can answer me on this one?

13. Loylz

Loylz Moderator Moderator

Seems so. You're not the only one experiencing that.

14. -Shaun-

-Shaun- New Member

I can't see one reason why they would be at the bottom, it looks terrible.

15. loverschoice

loverschoice New Member

True.

16. James

James New Member Elite

It's something the coders need to take a look at.

17. Pepe LeFrits

Pepe LeFrits New Member Elite

Wouldn't mind it so much if the text wrapped around the avatar on long posts!

Not that I read long posts...

18. -Shaun-

-Shaun- New Member

Is there any news at all on the avatars yet? It's been like this ages, didn't think it would be too hard to sort out, unless Admins think it looks better at the bottom of the post.

Also, why does the thread 'Arsenal Mania turns ten years old today!' still come up under the 'Announcements' section in every sub-forum, like Arsenal Talk and Transfer Rumours? It's been months since it turned 10. Been wondering this ages...

19. dodge

dodge New Member

Prolly in the midst of their little summer hiatus, we all deserve it 'you know'!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The avatars should now be fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.