• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Backpass FC

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
i notice also how many times Bellerin pass the ball backward we laugh at elneny but Bellerin is no different he just too afraid to attack instead of Tierney who looking to take his man and cross or even try to progress the ball forward.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

i notice also how many times Bellerin pass the ball backward we laugh at elneny but Bellerin is no different he just too afraid to attack instead of Tierney who looking to take his man and cross or even try to progress the ball forward.
He is instructed to do so. If no clear pass is on go backwards and start over.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
He is instructed to do so. If no clear pass is on go backwards and start over.
There alot of times at 2nd half yesterday Pepe asked the ball on wings but Bellerin pass backwards i get is the plan building from the back but when you already in other team half you just don't need to get it all back to Luiz or Holding.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

20 minutes at home and drawing 0-0 with Palace. If he did that with a crowd in the stands he would’ve been lynched.

We need fans back ASAP.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
20 minutes at home and drawing 0-0 with Palace. If he did that with a crowd in the stands he would’ve been lynched.

We need fans back ASAP.
lol yeah fans would have booed them already at HT fans helps not to drive our team forward but put pressure on other teams this season playing home or away make no difference.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

We need fans back ASAP.
The no fans is the only reason Arteta has a job tbh. I cant imagine the anger and poison it would be in the stadium watching Arteta football

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Look at the position our cm takes. I used this to defend el neny as well. Over and over you will see our two cbs with the ball. The two cms very close to them with opponent striker in between them. The two fullbacks right up next to the wingers. It’s clear as soon as the cbs pass to the cms their only job is to push the ball wide. Opponents know this because that’s all we do. 20 goals in 18 league games says it all
Yeah, well you pinpointed the real issue.

Özil/Caz rarely dropped so deep. It ensured we had a player or two open for a pass.

Also, @yousif_arsenal also wrote, we are trying to keep it very safe, passing backwards because we are too afraid that we will not recover the ball.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Bellerin just doesn't have the ability to be effective in a progressive sense either at passing, dribbling or crossing. He's a very limited footballer.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Özil/Caz rarely dropped so deep. It ensured we had a player or two open for a pass.

Also, @yousif_arsenal also wrote, we are trying to keep it very safe, passing backwards because we are too afraid that we will not recover the ball.
so you saying the players should go against the managers tactics? This happens every game in most of our possession. Either its what the manager has drilled in them or they keep refusing to do what the manager tell them not to do every game. Either way the problem is Arteta either his tactics sucks or the players refuse to listen to him and he just accepted it.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Özil yes. He virtually played as a 2nd forward. Santi though moved into a deeper role after Özil arrived. Our slow transition from deep is a huge factor here.

I get the sentiment - we want to draw teams out. But you won’t force anyone to press you if they know you’ll never attempt to dribble them or play it over the top.

The double pivot of horizontal static passers is problematic. By the time the ball reaches our forwards, the opposition are smoking cigars on the edge of their box.

Breezy

Yeah and maybe it was needed at the time but now it's time to go back and see if the game can be improved again.

Nah football would be boring if there were 10-15 goals a game.

The unpredictability of it is one of it’s main strengths. Some 0-0 or 1-0 matches can be more entertaining or enthralling than a 5-3.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You need people who can control and/or shield the ball in CM. Notice how these three guys beat their markers and progress the ball a good few meters.

Özil:
DecimalDangerousCaterpillar-size_restricted.gif

Cazorla:
nr9lGE.gif

Wilshere:
FittingAcrobaticBantamrooster-size_restricted.gif

so you saying the players should go against the managers tactics? This happens every game in most of our possession. Either its what the manager has drilled in them or they keep refusing to do what the manager tell them not to do every game. Either way the problem is Arteta either his tactics sucks or the players refuse to listen to him and he just accepted it.
honestly, I think they can't. Dont have the ability.

Özil yes. He virtually played as a 2nd forward. Santi though moved into a deeper role after Özil arrived. Our slow transition from deep is a huge factor here.

I get the sentiment - we want to draw teams out. But you won’t force anyone to press you if they know you’ll never attempt to dribble them or play it over the top.

The double pivot of horizontal static passers is problematic. By the time the ball reaches our forwards, the opposition are smoking cigars on the edge of their box.
It is silly how deep we play.

Kysus

Unfortunately this is Tiki Taka. Low risk possession play even in opponents' half to not risk a counter.
Even elite Barca was ultra boring to watch for huge periods, us? Every game a snoozefest now.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Unfortunately this is Tiki Taka. Low risk possession play even in opponents' half to not risk a counter.
Even elite Barca was ultra boring to watch for huge periods, us? Every game a snoozefest now.
What we are playing is not tiki taka. We are rushing our attack, we always find the most direct forward options, and we are making high crosses into the box. It's the opposite of tiki taka.

Possession football is beautiful. And only stupid people will think that is about low risk passing. It's not.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

Read this again
Making a backwards pass from the touch line is a good decision because we can move the ball into a more central area so that we can build better chances (for example, making a killer through pass in the central area).

However, our team would always look for the forward option, without considering if that is a good option. Passing back to build a better chance is not a bad thing, people here consider that as a crime. To me, rushing everything forward is much more stupid. We should be patient and build our chances.

Possession football is not playing safe, it’s about passing with a purpose to break down the opponent defence. It’s not about always passing backwards, it’s about making a backward pass so that you can have better forward passing options.

Pep’s Barcelona/Bayern/City they were all playing possession football, but it’s very attacking and definitely not playing safe. They are just being patient to create the best space to exploit.

Many Brits have problem understanding this. They think counter attack with passes always goes forward is adventurous. To them, possession football is playing safe. Which is totally wrong. The truth is, counter attack is defensive and boring. And possession football is attacking and entertaining.

Our team is rushing all our attacks and always looking for the most direct forward option. This has to be stopped immediately. We should be much more patient with our attacks, to make more passes and movement to break the opponents defence.

I just don’t get the hate on backwards pass. If there’s no room for progressing, pass it back and build up again, maybe start attacking the other side of the pitch. Just look at how 09 Barcelona do it. As long as you have possession you will create chances.
We are not Tony Pulis/Benitez/Morinho’s team. Do you know how boring those teams used to play? Carragher heading to Terry , heading back to Carragher, and then heading back to Terry.....Liverpool plays a long ball to the other end, lost possession, Chelsea then plays a long ball, then lost possession, and then another fxxking direct boring long ball is being played. That puts every-fxxking-one to sleep. Are you telling me that losing possession is fun to watch? Are you telling me that forward pass means advantageous? No, fxxking not.
If there are no room for a forward pass, making another forward pass, which yield a 100% possession lost is not adventurous, it’s stupidity.

How would you break a low block? You drag the opponent defenders away from their position and create an instant overload.
Imagine how stupid to make a forward pass straight into that block (before opening up any space), and the opponent can easily collect the losing ball. How stupid that would be, when space is not even opened up yet and you try to make a through pass...

Our main problem is that we don’t try to work that space out. We rush forward without working out a gap in the opponent defence.

Last edited:

OSBK

Established Member
I have been in football my entire life, and I have never seen a topflight team with such negative football setup when it comes to breaking lines. Number of backpasses in situations where players have the option to take a risk and pass or drive the ball forward is beyond me. Xhaka is by far the worst in this segment but when You see rest of our team constantly doing this, then it must be a part of our game plan. This is for me one of the most obvious reason we have struggled so much in creating chances. I feel Arteta went for solidity in the back but directly influenced our forward plays and mechanisms making them inconsistent and really awful to watch. Worst thing is that when You have Auba and Pepe who should be feasting on open space and quick transition You are not only destroying our general style of play but also individual members of the team by not playing to their strenghts. Until we change this, we are going nowher no matter what players we play. Am I crazy or do others see this as well?

I think you should sit down and watch newcastle every week. You think we have it bad?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I'll go out on a limb and say Guardiola and his minions have done more to damage football as a spectator sport than anything else in the past 15 years.

Yeah, there was a beauty in watching Messi, Xavi, Iniesta playing that way. Even with that great side and with some of the greatest players ever, it got boring to watch, quick.

I certainly don't want to see the likes of Xhaka, Elneny, AMN etc playing a knock off 3rd rate tribute act of it.

The games got too nerdy and over coached. I don't give a crap about possession stats or however many completed passes a player made. I could have made 95% of the passes Xhaka played yesterday. Show me the chances created / goals scored.

The very best Arsenal teams weren't playing anything like a Guardiola's side. We were a hybrid but much more of a counter attacking team than anything else. Frequently 15-20 seconds from the ball being in Jen's hand till Henry burying it.

Last edited:

Kysus

Read this again

If there are no room for a forward pass, making another forward pass, which yield a 100% possession lost is not adventurous, it’s stupidity.

How would you break a low block? You drag the opponent defenders away from their position and create an instant overload.
Imagine how stupid to make a forward pass straight into that block (before opening up any space), and the opponent can easily collect the losing ball. How stupid that would be, when space is not even opened up yet and you try to make a through pass...

Our main problem is that we don’t try to work that space out. We rush forward without working out a gap in the opponent defence.

You do realize that you constantly call people stupid because you have built up a protective shell(smartass persona) over your little vulnerable self which in actuality has an inferiority complex, right?

Your persona thinks it has football knowledge(it does not) and is constantly on attack to protect that small little piece of identity that you created and that you hold on to to not crash to pieces.

Tiki Taka sucks, deal with it.

Top Bottom