• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Barcelona v Arsenal | CL QF 2nd leg | Tue 6 Apr. 19:45 | SS2

Zico

Established Member
Lagos, it's no coincidence.

The good strikers and the good playmakers are able to take apart poorly organized defenses. They can exploit the holes left by our full backs. They can take advantage of the vacuum in front of our central defenders. They will send high balls in to destabilize a keeper who lacks aerial ability. We are not necessarily being beaten by entire teams. We are being beaten by players like Xavi, Rooney, Messi, Drogba because they have the quality to recognize AND exploit these weaknesses.

My four step remedy is in your thread on where to next, but it's all about defensive organization.

Viper

Established Member
CKD39 said:
thegame24 said:
famous no 10 said:
...and that loss to chelski in the Invincible season which I still haven't got over.

We were easily the best side in Europe that year, and that season was the making of "the special one".

Grrrrr.

Oh that 2004 team should have won the treble.

two silly results in one week and we battered both chelsea and united, losing to two fluke goals.

We didn't batter Chelsea, 2nd half they were all over us.
Kolo hit the bar from half way across the line though.

dutchMasta

Abs said:
you didnt, but being raped or scrappy loss is the same thing really.....you go out. For me nothing changed, I knew before the game we were not on their level and it was shown. This so called rape is better for us, than a scrappy loss. Atleast now it shows the manager he need few more class players.....and i think he will bring in players in the summer. That Im sure of
Being raped and a scrappy loss is most definitely NOT the same thing. But yeah, in the respect, I agree that getting slaughtered is better for us, IF it does actually cause Wenger to buy players. But he's come out before saying he'd buy and done nothing, so I really don't trust him to stick to his word. And even if he does buy, I'm afraid he'll fix maybe 2 areas at most, even though 4+ areas need serious addressing (GK, CB, DM, FW, maybe one of the wide forward positions).

Honestly though, I think General got it right. Our coaching needs a lot more sorting out than our squad.

Anzac

Established Member
Finally got to see the game.
Same fundamental flaws in our style - transitioning ahead of the ball; too narrow in attack; poor distribution from GK; lack of composure on the ball; poor decision making in the final 3rd; lack of solidity in our midfield; lack of determination to track back; marking space rather than the player on or off the ball; too laxidasical in passing in possession.

dreamLord

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/apr/06/question-pressing-crucial-modern-game" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... odern-game</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good article about pressing, especially the part why we failed(at the emirates). Imo it's also why we concede silly goals all the time, because our defense is left vulnerable.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
lagos said:
famous no 10 said:
Alfonso said:
The loss to Liverpool at this stage in 2008 felt 100 times worse than last night.

...and that loss to chelski in the Invincible season which I still haven't got over.

We were easily the best side in Europe that year, and that season was the making of "the special one".

Grrrrr.

Bingo! That was the greatest ****up of the Wenger era!

It's interesting how one piece of little luck can have a huge effect on future.

The greatest ****up was in fact the howler from Howard (ManU keeper) who gifted Mourinho his pass to CL finals.
That keeper blunder was similar to Hull keeper who gave the ball to Bendtner after a kick from distance. If that hadn't happened, we would never know who Mourinho is, but on the other hand, ManU would probably go on to win the CL that year.

Make your pick which one would be better back then? :)

RockyRocastle

Established Member
With the team we had out we were never going to win this game in a million years.

That said, I think we didnt do too badly. There defence was there for the taking, but we just lacked the know how and the quality to do it.

Great 3 minutes when we were ahead though!

All in all not a bad trip, Barca is a fantastic city - very moody on the Ramblas at night though.

Went on the stadium tour on the Wendesday and ran into Laporta of all people, the little fella was just walking past us whilst we were stood in the players tunnel.

Fair play to him he had a little chat with us. I had about 70 Euros in my wallet, which I offered to him in exchange for Messi. He wasnt interested.

Latest posts

Top Bottom