• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Ben White

Worse Deal?

• Ben White for £50m

• Harry Maguire for £80m

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
If Saliba goes it most likely means either attitude issues or a personality clash that the club have kept quiet this time, learning lessons from the Guendouzi situation. I just don't think it can be based off experience and play style, we are clearly looking at ball playing centre backs and he has performed in France now for two different clubs.

Or he simply isn't as good as we all thought. For me he seems very rash watching his u23 games.

Gabriel is also very rash at times. White isn't he's calm, as is Mari. So ideally you pair those together. Holding needs to go.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It’s not an assumption though. We’ve been strongly linked to signing a RCB since January. People thinking he’s coming here to play RB or DM are just clinging to the hope Saliba’s path to the first team hasn’t been further complicated.
And yet we currently play with Chambers at rcb. If Arteta is getting HIS players to play his way, he will want a rb who is basically a rcb , dm and rb all in one. That's basically Chambers and White is similar but a little quicker and better on the ball.

It would be different if we were buying an experienced rcb who obviously would play ahead of Saliba, but I don't think its guaranteed that Ben White would play there.

That is me being optimistic though as I would like to see Saliba given a chance.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
And yet we currently play with Chambers at rcb. If Arteta is getting HIS players to play his way, he will want a rb who is basically a rcb , dm and rb all in one. That's basically Chambers and White is similar but a little quicker and better on the ball.

It would be different if we were buying an experienced rcb who obviously would play ahead of Saliba, but I don't think its guaranteed that Ben White would play there.

That is me being optimistic though as I would like to see Saliba given a chance.

Chambers is/was playing there because he came into the team for a run of games and did well enough to keep the others out (who were playing badly). I don’t think you can read anything into it more than that.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

We currently play with Holding at RCB and Chambers at right back. It's been specifically noted that we want a RCB and a RB. White will obviously be signed because he's excellent on the ball, homegrown and can slot in very easily.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Just doesn't make sense spending this amount on a player who plays in our strongest two positions in the team (CB and RB) when we desperately need Cms.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Can we just now assume if we spend 50m on White its not going to detrimentally impact the rest of our business and that its just another piece in the puzzle?

Very likely we are losing Chambers, AMN and Bellerin all of whom played a significant number of games for us. We've lost Luiz who featured regularly, even Mustafi managed some games last season. We binned Sokratis as well. This is the point I've been hammering for years. Reduce the quantity improve the quality. Those 4 (6 if you include Sokratis and Mustafi) out White and a quality right back in.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Just doesn't make sense spending this amount on a player who plays in our strongest two positions in the team (CB and RB) when we desperately need Cms.

People need to stop thinking if we sign this guy we are out of budget. Its pretty clear we will be spending big money this summer and before sales.

Not going to start the season with Elneny, Partey and Willock.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Or he simply isn't as good as we all thought. For me he seems very rash watching his u23 games.

Gabriel is also very rash at times. White isn't he's calm, as is Mari. So ideally you pair those together. Holding needs to go.
You don't need to watch the U23 games though. He's nominated for team of the season based off Ligue Un performances. Saliba seems to be a bit weak in the air at the moment but then so is White and Saliba at least is 3 years younger with a massive height advantage. White looks rash as well now although he can tackle for sure. They are both clearly talented and I don't think Saliba is getting sidelined because he's not good enough (if that is ultimately what happens). There must be something else going on. Such a shame though, still think he will be one of the best in a few years time

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
You don't need to watch the U23 games though. He's nominated for team of the season based off Ligue Un performances. Saliba seems to be a bit weak in the air at the moment but then so is White and Saliba at least is 3 years younger with a massive height advantage. White looks rash as well now although he can tackle for sure. They are both clearly talented and I don't think Saliba is getting sidelined because he's not good enough (if that is ultimately what happens). There must be something else going on. Such a shame though, still think he will be one of the best in a few years time

My point is I don't think he's good enough to be starting 30 premier league games a season. I fully understand why the club would want a new RCB. I was a bit shocked at first but it's exciting, we will likely have maybe 5 new starters in the side.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We currently play with Holding at RCB and Chambers at right back. It's been specifically noted that we want a RCB and a RB. White will obviously be signed because he's excellent on the ball, homegrown and can slot in very easily.
It's not obvious at all. He isn't that good defensively that he displaces Holding and there is an argument to be had as to whether he is even better on the ball than Saliba.

There is nothing obvious about this signing. That's why it's a problem. That's why people are divided about it.

In a summer where all of our needs are clear.

Cf if Laca goes.
Cm x 3
Rb
Lb
Possible am

The fact that there has literally been no strong link where every fan is behind it other than Buendia shows that there is no plan that makes sense seeing as he wasnt even a target.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
It's not obvious at all. He isn't that good defensively that he displaces Holding and there is an argument to be had as to whether he is even better on the ball than Saliba.

There is nothing obvious about this signing. That's why it's a problem. That's why people are divided about it.

In a summer where all of our needs are clear.

Cf if Laca goes.
Cm x 3
Rb
Lb
Possible am

The fact that there has literally been no strong link where every fan is behind it other than Buendia shows that there is no plan that makes sense seeing as he wasnt even a target.

So you're telling me because there's no strong links that must mean there's no plan? Yet in the other thread you're saying the links to players mean there's no plan... make your mind up.

Or maybe the club are doing most of their business silently? And you and I don't have a clue.

White is far better than Holding and you've never seen Saliba play let alone play under pressure in the PL. He deserves a chance but we need a RCB, preferably one with PL experience.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So you're telling me because there's no strong links that must mean there's no plan? Yet in the other thread you're saying the links to players mean there's no plan... make your mind up.

Or maybe the club are doing most of their business silently? And you and I don't have a clue.

White is far better than Holding and you've never seen Saliba play let alone play under pressure in the PL. He deserves a chance but we need a RCB, preferably one with PL experience.
This is the thing though. He isn't FAR better than Holding. The margin isn't that great to be worth a 50 million pound investment. His passing isn't that much better, his 1v1 duels are but he still gets sat down by Rashford and it's not even hard to be better than Holding at that.

You are acting like we are going after Kounde. That isn't the case.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
This is the thing though. He isn't FAR better than Holding. The margin isn't that great to be worth a 50 million pound investment. His passing isn't that much better, his 1v1 duels are but he still gets sat down by Rashford and it's not even hard to be better than Holding at that.

White has some pretty insane stats for a CB this season and I'd see why we want him. 24 successful dribbles, in comparison Dias made 6 and Holding also 6 I believe. And also interceptions. White made double the amount Dias did this season and almost triple that of Holding.

So he isnt just a ball playing CB, he obviously reads the game very well and is progressive, likes bringing the ball out like Holding but is just better and more well rounded.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

I agree with everything apart from the end, Holding should be first choice CB.

However you'd think Saliba was prime Cannavaro the way people go on about him. People need to realise he might have just been another Raul scam, this is the same guy who paid 72m for Pepe so there's definitely something dodgy going on.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Although White improves our ball playing at the back, it's weakening us defensively if replaces either Holding or Chambers.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster

Unless we are going Kounde... Seems to be smoke and mirrors everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom