• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Ben White

Worse Deal?

• Ben White for £50m

• Harry Maguire for £80m

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Nothing sums up our fall more than the idea that our current crop of CBs are "fine", add to that Leno is "fine", Elneny is a "fine" backup, Lacazette is "fine" because we'll struggle to sign better. "fine" gets you back to back mid-table finishes.
What’s more funny a team that conceded 7 goals more had two cbs outperforming our best best performing cb. Actually 3 better performing cbs as Webster had better season than hype job Ben.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Luiz played these balls for fun when fit for us.. FFS the agenda against Arteta is out of control.
Yeah I agree with that. I'm no fan of Arteta but Mustafi kept his place in the team on account of those long diagonal balls he was actually pretty good at last season.

Dj_sds -

They're not allowed to under Arteta. We play from the back with short passes. Also, those long range passes are drilled in training with advance player locations pre-determined by the coach. If that's what you're looking for from White, you won't see it if he comes to Arsenal because we don't play like that.

Luiz did it a lot, so this makes absolutely no sense.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Ever considered Arteta doesn't feel comfortable playing that way because the defenders aren't good enough? Luiz was the closest thing we have to a long ball playing centre back and I regularly remember him making passes primarily to Tierney out at left touch line. I can't remember who it was (City or Liverpool certainly was a big game) we played against and Luiz went off injured and it killed our attacking play.

No, because this style of play risks relinquishing possession and Arteta hates that. This style of play precludes intricate passing triangles which is Arteta's aim.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Meanwhile he’s better on the ball than all our CB’s so playing the short passes that Mikel might want will only benefit the team.

I doubt that. I'm not knocking him in any way, I just think you're over estimating him.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Luiz did it a lot, so this makes absolutely no sense.

Not a lot and most of Luiz's longish passes were mid-length to Tierney who then runs forward, not long. I could be wrong of course, but I don't remember any long passes from the back to forward positions.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

So, how long is he? Transfermarkt has him at 189cm which is 6'2 I think. Other places have him a bit shorter. 189cm is plenty enough for a CB, but maybe he is 185cm, which isn't short either especially if one can jump?

Anyway, Luiz left who was very good at passing. Arteta will want to replace him. Saliba can't be trusted upon straight away to start, and Holding is not good enough with passing.

Anyone who has watched Liverpool in recent years knows how important a great passer at CB can be. I mean VVD here with his pinpoint long passes, which can result in goals.

Saliba has 3 years in contract. He was also paid in something like 6-7 instalments. I don't think this means the end of him here. Here we would get a PL proven homegrown ball-playing CB, who is young and also very versatile. Saliba would be the understudy, and has the possibility of claiming a spot. It also tells something that Bielsa rates him. With 3 years in contract he won't be cheap though.

What is interesting is that Holding was extended in January. He has contract until 2024 with an option for another year. He is a good squad option. He will likely be our CB Elneny (although I rate Holding more).

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
For the record, Arteta builds from the back in triangles CB to L/RB to midfield or CB to midfield coming deep, and when playing a highline, we build CB or mid to wing.

Last edited:

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I hope White/Gabriel/Saliba/Holding/Chambers is the idea. Use Chambers as 2nd choice RB and emergency CB cover. 3 home grown players there as well as Saliba who is U21.

Ideally White, Gabriel and Saliba are the main 3 guys though.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
He has played in 4 tiers of english football apparently, from "League Two" to the "Premier League"...again we could really use an English football expert to help us here. Where's @Rex Banter when you need him. @carlito'sway you know English football, right?
Calls are mounting for @Rex Banter to make his big return... Perfect time, when the crowd have got tired of the new guys and are calling out for AM legends to provide some leadership and experience in difficult circumstances. Might be difficult for him to ignore soon.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Whoscored rated his CB performance last season 6.60 in the league and has areal duells as his weakness

Dunk in the same team averaged 6.84 and Webster 6.77

Holding league performance average was rated 6.79 and Gabriel 6.73. So anyone can use youtube videos to make a player look great. Even their fans are saying his 2 CBs outperformed. The only logical thing I can see is we want to turn him to a right back. Because this guy build like a winger as your 50 million is pure madness
The right back theory is an interesting take and makes more sense perhaps than a CB for Arsenal who can't deal with crosses. Just sounds a like a car crash waiting to happen. £40m for an unproven defensive RB though? Sounds a bit unlikely

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

No, because this style of play risks relinquishing possession and Arteta hates that. This style of play precludes intricate passing triangles which is Arteta's aim.
Pep uses Ederson to great effect. I think a team needs that option to allow space for triangles as there is a danger of pressing to much and being caught out. It's a necessary weapon in the Arsenal.

OSBK

Established Member
I would happily take this guy over holding and chambers. Very good defender and very good on the ball. The season he played for leeds he was outstanding, 30mill for him would be a bargain.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
So, how long is he? Transfermarkt has him at 189cm which is 6'2 I think. Other places have him a bit shorter. 189cm is plenty enough for a CB, but maybe he is 185cm, which isn't short either especially if one can jump?

Anyway, Luiz left who was very good at passing. Arteta will want to replace him. Saliba can't be trusted upon straight away to start, and Holding is not good enough with passing.

Anyone who has watched Liverpool in recent years knows how important a great passer at CB can be. I mean VVD here with his pinpoint long passes, which can result in goals.

Saliba has 3 years in contract. He was also paid in something like 6-7 instalments. I don't think this means the end of him here. Here we would get a PL proven homegrown ball-playing CB, who is young and also very versatile. Saliba would be the understudy, and has the possibility of claiming a spot. It also tells something that Bielsa rates him. With 3 years in contract he won't be cheap though.

What is interesting is that Holding was extended in January. He has contract until 2024 with an option for another year. He is a good squad option. He will likely be our CB Elneny (although I rate Holding more).
the PL website have their official heights & White listed as 182cm

drippin

Wow, pretty strange how much this information can differ.

I checked what they say "officially" about Willock, and he is listed as 179 cm.

I wouldn't trust this "official height" there. Didn't Willock have a growth spurt at some point and should be closer to 185cm? That happened some time ago too? Transfermarkt has him at 186cm.

@MutableEarth

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
The only way I see us spending 40m+ on this is if we really have funds....

Otherwise this is just the wrong priority. Guess time will tell....
Even if we had the funds. Do you trust Arsenal to address every weakness in this squad in this transfer window alone?
So, let’s get this right. We deemed £40 million for Buendia as too much, but we’re happy to spend between £40-£50 million for another CB.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Even if we had the funds. Do you trust Arsenal to address every weakness in this squad in this transfer window alone?
So, let’s get this right. We deemed £40 million for Buendia as too much, but we’re happy to spend between £40-£50 million for another CB.
It sounds peculiar indeed. We'll see soon enough if this has legs or not.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
On Whoscored, he’s had some games in midfield. The thing I worry about is that he’s a smallish CB who has only played in a back 3. Those are some massive red flags.

drippin

Fast search got me this. MutableEarth said in October 2017 that it looks like Willock's growth spurt got him to 6 feet mark, which means ~183cm.

So the EPL official page has him still 4cm too short after 4 years, and he is likely even taller. Wtf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom