• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Ben White

Worse Deal?

• Ben White for £50m

• Harry Maguire for £80m

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Not that I'm against this, mind. But weren't those stats for the championship?

The three at the back thing doesn't inspire me a lot, might be spelling a revert to the system for next season.

Hopefully Chambers and Holding go if that's the case. Could bring a decent amount of money for both if that's the case.
The stats I posted were for his time in the prem. His stats for the Championship are much better all round. Suggests that he has struggled a bit this year perhaps

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I class Chambers as a backup right back. If a good enough offer for Holding came in I'm fairly certain we'd take it tbf. But 5 CB's isn't really overkill either way.

Chambers is a CB first tho. Even as a right back, he's the odd man out when it comes to assets.

No one is touching Cedric unless we admit he was an awful signing and bite the bullet and pay him to leave.

Can't be having a player on 70k not even making the bench. No Europe as well.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
The stats I posted were for his time in the prem. His stats for the Championship are much better all round. Suggests that he has struggled a bit this year perhaps

Would like to see him again in a back 4.

In terms of eye test the one huge difference between him and Holding is the agility. White is far, far more agile, which means you get out of certain situations better and cleaner. Holding lumbers.

Finesse

How many times do we watch Holding and Gabby progress with the ball forward into space while we expect them to pick a run or play into feet , but end up either stopping to play it back to the keeper , or square it to the safest option which are always full backs already under pressure ! How many times do they just float the ball ahead in hope and not with clear intent? Gabby will do that time and again trying to look for a diagonal in an already packed opponents half. We end up losing it and it comes back at us very fast . This is where we have a serious problem with low block teams. We cannot go into the season without replacing what Luis gave us on the ball.

It may not be Ben White but we need one more proper ball playing CB to add to Saliba who in my opinion MUST get his chance this season.

Pyres7

I don't mind signing White as long as we're not using up most of our budget on him. If we buy him and still spend well on 2 CMs, a CAM/10 etc, I won't be complaining. But I don't want to hear the excuses if we don't have the money to spend on more pressing areas, or go for more short-term loans or pound shop pensioners like Willian.

We've already got two very highly rated, young, ball playing CBs in Saliba and Mavropanos. Is White THAT much better than them to justify spending £50m on him before giving them a chance?

I mean we were being stingy on a potential game changer in Buendia and let him go to Villa over a £5m difference in valuation. Not worth the 'risk' for that price apparently, but we want to spend £50m on a 23 year old with only 1 season in the PL?

TornadoTed

Established Member
Vidic was more aggressive in the air but Ferdinand was excellent in the air. Rarely beaten in the air
I'm not saying Ferdinand was poor in the air, that was my point. Generally Vidic was the one who attacked the ball in the air more while Ferdinand covered. I suspect their stats would say that Vidic was comfortably better in the air but as you say Ferdinand was excellent in the air himself so the stats would be misleading.

I guess I am just very wary of stats, they often don't tell anywhere near the full story. There are countless examples, look at Xhaka who has excellent passing stats but I would say that is mostly because he mostly plays safe, easy balls. White may be just fine on the air even if the stats say otherwise.

Lets not forget that a stats led approach gave us Xhaka, Mustafi and Perez!

Barry

Aren’t these stats sqewed due to the fact that White plays in a 3 at the back so has an extra defender in there?
There is percentage wins against some of them as well as absolute numbers. They are still not impressive to be honest, but it could be because he is adjusting to the PL

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
There is percentage wins against some of them as well as absolute numbers. They are still not impressive to be honest, but it could be because he is adjusting to the PL
I remember Mustafi outdoing VVD with most key stats so I wouldn’t read too much into it. It’s better asking a brighton fan or seeing their reaction on their forums.

They’re my second team but I’m lazy sometimes so haven’t watched them enough.

Barry

I remember Mustafi outdoing VVD with most key stats so I wouldn’t read too much into it. It’s better asking a brighton fan or seeing their reaction on their forums.

They’re my second team but I’m lazy sometimes so haven’t watched them enough.
At least you are honest though! Yeah agree that stats can be misleading for defenders. Hope if we sign him that he has a high level, all round defensive game as well as his passing and technical ability. That's key, otherwise he will look like a liability however many long passes be can ping.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Going from Leno and Holding to Onana and White would improve our build up massively.

Agree on White, looks elite there.
But, as much as I've been an Emi fan, Leno's key weakness was his height and high ball behavior rather than ball distribution.
Think he's quite solid in that regard, for a keeper, that is.

Iceman10

Established Member
I don't mind signing White as long as we're not using up most of our budget on him. If we buy him and still spend well on 2 CMs, a CAM/10 etc, I won't be complaining. But I don't want to hear the excuses if we don't have the money to spend on more pressing areas, or go for more short-term loans or pound shop pensioners like Willian.

We've already got two very highly rated, young, ball playing CBs in Saliba and Mavropanos. Is White THAT much better than them to justify spending £50m on him before giving them a chance?

I mean we were being stingy on a potential game changer in Buendia and let him go to Villa over a £5m difference in valuation. Not worth the 'risk' for that price apparently, but we want to spend £50m on a 23 year old with only 1 season in the PL?
The excuse won’t be money, but expect less overall in those other signings due to his versatility. If we get Ben White we will likely only get one CM, him being counted as the other option in addition to his primary role as CB.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
The excuse won’t be money, but expect less overall in those other signings due to his versatility. If we get Ben White we will likely only get one CM, him being counted as the other option in addition to his primary role as CB.

This doesn't make any sense at all. We want a RCB, we want two CM's, that's just how it is. Not sure why people have to keep shoehorning things.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Yep this is how i see it as well. He will be counted as a midfielder when in reality he is a CB who can do a job in midfield in certain situations.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Again, another target that suggests we are very correctly identifying our areas of needed improvement. A better CB on the ball than Holding is an absolute must if we want to make a push for top 4 or top 6 as @tap-in says here:
I'm pleased we are going for a CB. We definitely need better quality than Holding if we want to go for top 4 or even top 6.

And going into the season with Saliba, a 20 year old, as our starting RCB, is really a massive risk.

What I don't get is the contract extension with Holding. If we are going to sign White the ideal thing would be to have Saliba as his back-up at RCB and sell Holding.

Holding's lack of composure and ability on the ball is a massive issue in our quality of play and build-up and highly noted U-shape possession, it's something that needs upgrading no matter what, and to think a 20 year old with no PL experience can solve that problem without any issues might be a bit quixotic.

TimoJens

Formerly known as highbury_2006
You don't think we'll be signing two CM's if we sign Ben White? If we sell Xhaka we sign a senior CM, we want Lokonga as backup. Do you get it?

I have no idea what we will do. Last summer we needed a number 10 but didnt sign one and during the winter we needed a LB but didnt sign one.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Again, another target that suggests we are very correctly identifying our areas of needed improvement. A better CB on the ball than Holding is an absolute must if we want to make a push for top 4 or top 6 as @tap-in says here:

And going into the season with Saliba, a 20 year old, as our starting RCB, is really a massive risk.

What I don't get is the contract extension with Holding. If we are going to sign White the ideal thing would be to have Saliba as his back-up at RCB and sell Holding.
Ball playing CB is the biggest crock of sh1t in football right now. People act like its some sort of game changing thing. center backs 9/10 pass to the nearest player for god sake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom