• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Ben White

Worse Deal?

• Ben White for £50m

• Harry Maguire for £80m

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerShy

When you actually break it down it isnt too bad.

White - £45M
Lokonga - £15M
Maddison - £60M
Xhaka replacement - £30-40M
Bellerin replacement - £25M

Pretty much £170M even with the two monster money signings in White and Madders.
Still got issues at Centre forward, Left back and wouldn't have done enough to address centre midfield in my mind. Depending what "Xhaka replacement" looks like.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Still got issues at Centre forward, Left back and wouldn't have done enough to address centre midfield in my mind. Depending what "Xhaka replacement" looks like.

You simply can't replace the whole team in one summer. Auba and laca will be here so CF isn't an issue until next summer imo.

Lokonga, Neves and Maddison would be fantastic to address central areas in my opinion.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
We can’t do everything in one summer. For most people CF is least out of all the priorities (CMx2 ,RB, AM) for now. Arguably it’s on the same level as CB for importance but we’re spending a lot of money on CB.

If we do a good job this summer with signings maybe we can go all out next summer for one.

blrgooner

Established Member
Actually maybe I'd agree although the dribbled past stat looks shocking, it might just be a bit of an anomaly. Luiz's defensive numbers are horrible.

They don't really fit the narrative about White's ability as this massive upgrade for passing and playing out from the back though, he's just about the weakest of the four...

Someone else said that you can't really trust defensive stats and that's probably true to a degree, there is a lot they don't pick up about controlling the space, decision making etc.

I still think White's a good player, but unconvinced about spending massively on a new CB
Well dribbled past stat depends a lot on the pressure and pressure regain stat. If you are going to commit yourself more into pressuring the opposition, you are likely to be dribbled past more. I think these stats vary a lot based on the system you are required to play. Brighton with 2 CBs behind him want him to try and win the ball and start attacks, Saliba maybe doesn`t have that requirement from his manager. So I think these stats should be looked at with the context of the system they play in in mind.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Well dribbled past stat depends a lot on the pressure and pressure regain stat. If you are going to commit yourself more into pressuring the opposition, you are likely to be dribbled past more. I think these stats vary a lot based on the system you are required to play. Brighton with 2 CBs behind him want him to try and win the ball and start attacks, Saliba maybe doesn`t have that requirement from his manager. So I think these stats should be looked at with the context of the system they play in in mind.
Also, White played CM at times even. You must get ‘dribbled past’ much more there.

GunnerShy

You simply can't replace the whole team in one summer. Auba and laca will be here so CF isn't an issue until next summer imo.

Lokonga, Neves and Maddison would be fantastic to address central areas in my opinion.
You're starting to approach the point....
You can't replace the whole team. So focus on the most pressing areas. Of which CM, CAM are. A back up LB and CF so Lacazette can be moved on and not lost on a free is too.

Do you not understand the contradiction of arguing players from Ligue 1with good stats cannot be relied on but thinking Xhaka 2.1 and Lokongo, a 21 yr old with mediocre stats from the Jupiter league addresses the Midfield which was absolute poverty last season. 🤣 We absolutely have to aim higher than that.

GunnerShy

We can’t do everything in one summer. For most people CF is least out of all the priorities (CMx2 ,RB, AM) for now. Arguably it’s on the same level as CB for importance but we’re spending a lot of money on CB.

If we do a good job this summer with signings maybe we can go all out next summer for one.
You need to throw a back up LB and a CAM in there too. Ahead of a CB.

If you don't get a CF this window you probably have to keep Laca. Which likely means losing him on a free.

If you don't get Ben White it frees up money and Bandwidth for finding a CF and you have a similar player with higher potential getting those minutes at CB which again goes back to the point many of us in here are arguing about White being a poor use of resources at the figures being quoted.

benjamin86

Established Member
Talking to Brighton about White i'd hope we'd also be asking them about Robert Sanchez, if Leno goes he'd be a very good replacement. He's only 22 and was one of the best keepers in the league last year.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
You need to throw a back up LB and a CAM in there too. Ahead of a CB.

If you don't get a CF this window you probably have to keep Laca. Which likely means losing him on a free.

If you don't get Ben White it frees up money and Bandwidth for finding a CF and you have a similar player with higher potential getting those minutes at CB which again goes back to the point many of us in here are arguing about White being a poor use of resources at the figures being quoted.

Idk why you keep saying this, would you be happier if we signed Doig and Maddison first then White in a month? We're working on ALL deals. Four players were bid for this week, relax.

Also re your comment on the quality of player, proven premier league talent broski.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

White - £45M
Lokonga - £15M
Maddison - £60M

Pretty much £170M even with the two monster money signings in White and Madders.

This would be an amazing summer.

But surely Stan isn't gonna spend this amount...aren't we in a bit of a bad way financially?

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
maybe just out of touch with the 2021 market but they feel expensive for quality of players :lol:

top end deals when we need to make up big ground on the teams above us... is it really a sustainable model this way? where is the scouting or creativity in the market?

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

John Cross kiss of death. He basically not saying anything new but we are confident to get Ben white deal done

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

maybe just out of touch with the 2021 market but they feel expensive for quality of players :lol:

top end deals when we need to make up big ground on the teams above us... is it really a sustainable model this way? where is the scouting or creativity in the market?
we dont have a scouting department. Edu got rid of them to get with modern football. Buy known players you seen on TV

GunnerShy

Idk why you keep saying this, would you be happier if we signed Doig and Maddison first then White in a month? We're working on ALL deals. Four players were bid for this week, relax.

Also re your comment on the quality of player, proven premier league talent broski.
If you can't see the point about prioritising areas with the most need, rather than an area where we have depth then I give up. But wasting resources is why we are in the mess we are currently in.

We need players to transform the team. I agree with "premier league proven". But let's be clear:

Van Dijk is premier league proven.

Ben White is premier league proven with the caveat "ok, for one season, playing in a back three".

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
If you can't see the point about prioritising areas with the most need, rather than an area where we have depth then I give up. But wasting resources is why we are in the mess we are currently in.

We need players to transform the team. I agree with "premier league proven". But let's be clear:

Van Dijk is premier league proven.

Ben White is premier league proven with the caveat "ok, for one season, playing in a back three".

You really aren't understanding my point. We will be signing in the areas of need as well as White, we are obviously waiting for Xhaka to be sold to sign his replacement. We've bid for Lokonga who is a CM ffs. What more do you want?

If you're worried about the quality that's a different story, but we have no European football so we gotta buy certain players this summer.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Yep; lord knows Clive from the Arsenal Vision podcast is full of himself sometimes, but he's spot on when he says (and I'm paraphrasing heavily) we are selling players for Covid prices and buying for regular prices.

we dont have a scouting department. Edu got rid of them to get with modern football. Buy known players you seen on TV

Well....it does worry me; I think a lot is just my complete lack of faith in the Edu, Arteta Vinai trio. And if we drop so much cash and don't do well where tf do we go from here? Yet I've seen this scenario so many times before that it wouldn't surprise me if that happened.

Elite Smarts

Gouendizi 🤦‍♂️

White - £45M
Lokonga - £15M
Maddison - £60M

Yeah this would be fantastic window, except Arsenal isn't Chelsea lmao. Only going to sign 2/5 you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom