• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Ben White

Worse Deal?

• Ben White for £50m

• Harry Maguire for £80m

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Could arsenal possibly be transitioning to a back 3 of some sorts? Ben White seems to have a decent bit of defensive flexibility and played a bit of Defensive Midfield and Right Back. Plus, if Arteta wanted Saliba gone and Saliba's been as good as some of you have made him out to be, we would've gotten at least a few links by now. Deadass think Arteta might have something planned for White that we don't know and that signing White doesn't spell Saliba's end.
I don’t mind us switching to a back three. I think if implemented correctly it could be a great tool to build out the back and utilise more attack-minded midfielders in the pivot, say Willock for example. However, it Arteta has been going public saying he wants a 433/4231 and now he is building a three at the back system? It seems like we have no real plan.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
When you actually break it down it isnt too bad.

White - £45M
Lokonga - £15M
Maddison - £60M
Xhaka replacement - £30-40M
Bellerin replacement - £25M

Pretty much £170M even with the two monster money signings in White and Madders.
That’s a pretty decent summer if you factor in we have no European money coming in. But we have to look at the sales too. Losing Willock for small money or not giving Saliba a chance will leave a bitter taste in most mouths. Giving new contracts to guys like Elneny and Lacazette would lead to more Arteta/Edu derision.

Iceman10

Established Member

John Cross kiss of death. He basically not saying anything new but we are confident to get Ben white deal done
The player has been telling ex- Leeds teammates that he expects to become an Arsenal player this summer. It's probably too far along for Brighton to stop it now. They'll also want maximum time to find a replacement. Yeah, Arsenal just needs to up the offer by a few million and it should be done soon.

Wryer

Not quite getting the logic that bidding 40m for White means we have a significantly large budget.

We've seen how messed up the club in terms of transfer approach. And we remain in the midst of the pandemic.

I like the player, but we need alot more in other positions as well.

Gn1212

Not quite getting the logic that bidding 40m for White means we have a significantly large budget.

We've seen how messed up the club in terms of transfer approach. And we remain in the midst of the pandemic.

I like the player, but we need alot more in other positions as well.
Well, it makes sense when it's reported that we're also actively trying to sign 2 GKs, a RB, 2 CMs, an AM and potentially a ST(if Laca leaves).
Some of the guys we've been reliably linked with will require considerable fees to buy them from their clubs.

There is definitely money available.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I like this one. At worst, White is a reliable cb - downgrade on peak Luiz, but could develop into a top ball playing cb. He's significantly better than he whose name I will not speak as well.

We've cleared Mustafi, Sokratis, Luiz and Mavro - we have space and money for a cb. Rotating White, Gabriel and Saliba is juicy. Mari and Chambers as back up.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
It's just odd to me, I do think Kounde and Tapsoba are pretty attainable for a little more and Nketiah is of interest for an exchange.

Kounde apparently not more than white's 50m pounds also.

Not seen that much of Kounde and Tapsoba, but they seem to be the most thought after CBs in Europe, so why pay almost the same for an admittedly very interesting but incomplete White ?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
It's just odd to me, I do think Kounde and Tapsoba are pretty attainable for a little more and Nketiah is of interest for an exchange.

Not seen that much of Kounde and Tapsoba, but they seem to be the most thought after CBs in Europe, so why pay almost the same for an admittedly very interesting but incomplete White ?

Madrid are seemingly going for Kounde. Tapsoba price is set at like 70M euros.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I like this one. At worst, White is a reliable cb - downgrade on peak Luiz, but could develop into a top ball playing cb. He's significantly better than he whose name I will not speak as well.

We've cleared Mustafi, Sokratis, Luiz and Mavro - we have space and money for a cb. Rotating White, Gabriel and Saliba is juicy. Mari and Chambers as back up.
Holding to lead the line 😍

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I think HG considerations and the fact that he does not need to adapt to the league, language and culture probably plays a major part. There is no escaping that you pay a premium for young English players.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵

Kounde only wants to move to a CL team.

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
Could arsenal possibly be transitioning to a back 3 of some sorts? Ben White seems to have a decent bit of defensive flexibility and played a bit of Defensive Midfield and Right Back. Plus, if Arteta wanted Saliba gone and Saliba's been as good as some of you have made him out to be, we would've gotten at least a few links by now. Deadass think Arteta might have something planned for White that we don't know and that signing White doesn't spell Saliba's end.
We wouldn’t be after a No.10 if that was the case.

It could be that he plans to use him as an inverted right back, links to other right backs seem to have dried up of late.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Yeah, the thing is with White is if he isn't up to standard, the fact he's an English international will protect his value, there will be a market for him. It won't be the same case as a Mustafi, where the just wasn't a market for him after it was obvious it wasn't working.

For the record I think White would be a success here.

Gunners1616

Surprised we are not proposing a player to Brighton... They could be interested in Nketiah, AMN or even Rob Holding/Chambers...

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
The way I look at this situation is as follows:
  1. As long as we have Saliba, I want us to use him. Otherwise we've wasted two years not getting a proper first team CB and his stock will definitely be lower than when we bought him so we will have wasted capital.
  2. With Saliba on board, we currently have enough central defenders to last a season even if we get rid of Luiz and Mavropanos. Without Europe I would even argue we could additionally sell one of Chambers/Holding.
  3. We have a lot of positions that we need to prioritize over CB. We definitely need a DM, creative CM (or LW if he's named Grealish), RB and back-up LB before we go for a CB.
  4. I don't think our CB options are great, even with the addition of Saliba, therefore if there is money available after addressing all the issues above (nr. 3). Then I wouldn't mind if we get a top quality CB as additional competition for Saliba and Gabriel.
  5. I'm not convinced White is that top quality guy. His stats are hardly impressive. Someone did a comparison with our other CB's and aside from interceptions (where Mavro was clear first and he came second) he doesn't beat our CB's at anything. I think he can become a good CB, but with the English premium 40m+ and reportedly 50m is absolute madness.
  6. I don't know who to get. Last year I was absolutely high on Ruben Dias and really wanted us to get him, but I don't have a similar player in mind this year. I thought Caleta-Car did quite well in the game against England and he has been mentioned before. Pau Torres looks quite good, but I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom