• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Ben White

Worse Deal?

• Ben White for £50m

• Harry Maguire for £80m

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Rice

Self-Proclaimed Nice Guy
Gabriel, Saliba, White, Mari. Would we have Chambers as 5th option or keep Mavro?

This would be the end of Holding for me & although I don’t see him as the problem he is not the answer.

You might get £25m for Holding and Mavro if both are off.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

No doubt we have a lot of issues. But look at Liverpool or City or United or Chelsea they've all spent big money on their defence. VVD, Allison, Dias is City's record signing (before looking at full backs), Maguire and Awb, Chilwell and Mendy and they've gave Silva a massive wage and they've all been the better for it.

Understandably then it might be a pressing issue because if you cant get the ball from defence the way you like the attack suffers. And if you can't set the defence up to defend the way you want you have to compensate elsewhere.
Just see Liverpool this season who suffered immensely in the pressing and attacking play. It may not be sexy or glamorous but if you lack the foundations the rest suffer.
Ben White compared to Maguire and VVD is like grown men compared to a child though. He also has one season at top level unlike them when they moved and his season is nowhere as good as their season before they moved

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Spending money doesn't always gurantee you quality e.g Maguire, Keane, Lindeloff, Oatmentdi, Mustafi, Mangala etc

Whilst spending low doesn't mean they can't become e.g. Holding superb peformances this season and the Wenger sarcastic comment "I'm sorry Holding didn't out 50m therefore he can't be good".

Can't understand this obsession of having both CBs as ball players. Surely the most important aspect of CB is how good they are defensively ie positional awareness, how they read the game and the anticipation.

Last edited:

Camus

Trusted ⭐
Don't mind who we sign at CB, or if we sign a CB at all, as long as Saliba finally gets some reasonable game time. I think he's going to be amazing, but if not I want to at least see him play enough games to show us why Arteta doesn't seem to rate him in the slightest.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
No doubt we have a lot of issues. But look at Liverpool or City or United or Chelsea they've all spent big money on their defence. VVD, Allison, Dias is City's record signing (before looking at full backs), Maguire and Awb, Chilwell and Mendy and they've gave Silva a massive wage and they've all been the better for it.

Understandably then it might be a pressing issue because if you cant get the ball from defence the way you like the attack suffers. And if you can't set the defence up to defend the way you want you have to compensate elsewhere.
Just see Liverpool this season who suffered immensely in the pressing and attacking play. It may not be sexy or glamorous but if you lack the foundations the rest suffer.

What I'd say is there's a funny paradox where Arsenal fans want top 4 but also are very happy to play a season with Gabriel, Saliba, Mari and Holding. It's like we've lost some perspective. Gabriel and Saliba cost a combined 60m (Liverpool, Utd and City all have one CB that cost more than that) but they're very young, while Holding and Mari cost a combined 10m. Our 4 CBs combined cost the same as VVD and less than Maguire. There isn't a single senior international cap among them. Mavro is our only CB with a senior international cap!

What they cost and how many international caps they have doesn't mean they're all bad players, but if we're measuring up to what the other big 6 have it starts to look pretty weak.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Ben White compared to Maguire and VVD is like grown men compared to a child though. He also has one season at top level unlike them when they moved and his season is nowhere as good as their season before they moved
Here is the Point you missed.

You need the right players for the system. If Arteta doesn't view the players playing there as right then he has to go get ones that are. Defenders are important in how you play. If Arteta views Ben White as someone that helps him get what he wants on the pitch then it is a pressing issue to address. I was simply highlighting those other players who cost a lot and have been vital in enabling their manager to enact their vision and also in the case of Liverpool how missing those players can be detrimental in every area.

Summary: if Arteta feels he needs a player it's not a waste.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Spending money doesn't always gurantee you quality e.g Maguire, Keane, Lindeloff, Oatmentdi, Mustafi, Mangala etc

Whilst spending low doesn't mean they can't become e.g. Holding superb peformances this season and the Wenger sarcastic comment "I'm sorry Holding didn't out 50m therefore he can't be good".

Can't understand this obsession of having both CBs as ball players. Surely the most important aspect of CB is how good they defensively ie positional awareness, how they read the game and the anticipation.
I used to thinks so. But maybe the game has passed us by. Even goalkeepers the most important thing seem to be being ball player. Tbh we do keep the ball between our keeper and cbs more than any team and have a policy of if in any doubt pass backwards. So with Artetas football you could argue a CB has to be great on the ball

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
You gotta calm down, White's extreeemly talented and has many outstanding talents of a modern CB that a guy like Maguire can only ever dream of having.
Football-wise, Maguire and White aren't even in the same universe.

Really, the ONLY reason this deal is ****, is that Arteta is throwing Saliba out with it and we are putting massive cash into our 5-6th priority position/signing we have to look at.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

Can't understand this obsession of having both CBs as ball players. Surely the most important aspect of CB is how good they are defensively ie positional awareness, how they read the game and the anticipation.

Forget the money though, none of our CBs play for their country's senior team, surely that's a good marker of quality and/or experience.

It's hardly a coincidence that we only have 4 players at the Euros this year (one of whom could be sold very soon) at the same time as we've had consecutive 8th place finishes, it generally indicates the quality of the squad isn't what it used to be.

Moah

Looks a tad shorter than Stones, maybe same height as Coady.

E3qyaiiXoAI0941
Is it just me or does most of the players ears look funny :lol:

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Here is the Point you missed.

You need the right players for the system. If Arteta doesn't view the players playing there as right then he has to go get ones that are. Defenders are important in how you play. If Arteta views Ben White as someone that helps him get what he wants on the pitch then it is a pressing issue to address. I was simply highlighting those other players who cost a lot and have been vital in enabling their manager to enact their vision and also in the case of Liverpool how missing those players can be detrimental in every area.

Summary: if Arteta feels he needs a player it's not a waste.
And I fully disagree with this thinking. The reason we moved from Wengers days is you can’t have a manager buying and selling whoever he wants. Mourinho caused all kinds of arguments to have Dier at United and the club refused him. Lampard tried to force Rudiger out and Chelsea refused him. Well run clubs don’t go with anything a manager says, specially a one that has performed the worst in 25 years. If the manager decides who stays and who goes, then why have a football director

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I don't get it. Arteta is an experience merchant, unless you're Saka or ESR. He has lost his most experienced CB in Luiz and decides to sign White who lacks experience too. So, being the genius Arteta thinks he is, I reckon White will be converted into a midfielder (I'm low-key trolling)

GDeep™

League is very weak
Fofana. Rodgers.

We didn’t bring in Arteta to bin people like Saliba. That’s all I’m saying
This is the issue, the club structure keeps changing. Raul signed Saliba but now Arteta isn’t using him or Guendouzi.

So, he wasn’t told by the club he has to develop these expensive kids either.

Rodgers btw, is following the club structure.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I don't get it. Arteta is an experience merchant, unless you're Saka or ESR. He has lost his most experienced CB in Luiz and decides to sign White who lacks experience too. So, being the genius Arteta thinks he is, I reckon White will be converted into a midfielder (I'm low-key trolling)

White has plenty of experience in English football which is the key difference. Not sure I understand this whole Arteta is an experience merchant thing. Tierney, Gabriel, ESR, Saka, Ødegaard and Pepe were his main players towards the end of the season. We need premier league experience more than anything.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
What I'd say is there's a funny paradox where Arsenal fans want top 4 but also are very happy to play a season with Gabriel, Saliba, Mari and Holding. It's like we've lost some perspective. Gabriel and Saliba cost a combined 60m (Liverpool, Utd and City all have one CB that cost more than that) but they're very young, while Holding and Mari cost a combined 10m. Our 4 CBs combined cost the same as VVD and less than Maguire. There isn't a single senior international cap among them. Mavro is our only CB with a senior international cap!

What they cost and how many international caps they have doesn't mean they're all bad players, but if we're measuring up to what the other big 6 have it starts to look pretty weak.
Its priorities, its like youre drowning but decide to spend time zipping up your jacket so you wont be cold when you get out of the water. If we get the players we need elsewhere it makes sense, but it looks like it would be a lot easier to improve upon our midfield which desperately needs numbers as well.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
This is the issue, the club structure keeps changing. Raul signed Saliba but now Arteta isn’t using him or Guendouzi.

So, he wasn’t told by the club he has to develop these expensive kids either.

Rodgers btw, is following the club structure.
Yes I certainly agree with that, I’ve been saying that all season. Edu is a bum he has no experience or credentials for this job, he’s never done what he needs to do here.

You need a strong board above you to install some sort of vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom