• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Ben White

Worse Deal?

• Ben White for £50m

• Harry Maguire for £80m

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
The times I watched Brighton last season he was mostly playing as a DM/CM. I think it's potentially his best position.
Perhaps he is looked upon as cover for DM? Or is he Xhakas replacement!!? ;)
I always wondered if chambers could do a job there for the odd game. Pretty decent on the ball if not the most mobile/speedy. Think he played there for fulham.
Not suggesting regular choice but could be a useful utility/squad player to have around if he is over his injuries especially as AMN doesnt want the role.
Being English as well obvs helps.
I think a major plus for white is his pace to go with ability to bring the ball forward. May be able to play a higher line at the back with him & Gabriel?

Last edited:

isop

Perhaps he is looked upon as cover for DM? Or is he Xhakas replacement!!? ;)
I always wondered if chambers could do a job there for the odd game. Pretty decent on the ball if not the most mobile/speedy. Think he played there for fulham.
Not suggesting regular choice but could be a useful utility/squad player to have around if he is over his injuries especially as AMN doesnt want the role.
Being English as well obvs helps.
I think a major plus for white is his pace to go with ability to bring the ball forward. May be able to play a higher line at the back with him & Gabriel?

I'd be intrigued to see if Chambers could do a job for us in midfield as well; as you mentioned he is good on the ball, dunno if he has the passing range but he's an interesting option.

White is quite an aggressive player and steps out/steps forward with the ball when he's at CB, so a higher line is a possibility, but the whole team would have to press higher up the pitch in order to make it effective, and so far with Arteta we only see that in spurts, he doesn't really seem to play that way.

You never know though, White might end up playing in midfield for us over the long term, but I guess he'll be Luiz's replacement for now at least.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I don't know why people are obsessed with using players in different positions. Just sign a midfielder and a right back, White is a CB.
Yeah, for me it's just good thing to have as a backup option, and in tactical perspective it also gives more options for team to adjust on the run.

It's clear he is the Luiz replacement, and that's what he is. Luiz never played DMF here, but Elneny when we had to go that route due to injuries.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Yeah, for me it's just good thing to have as a backup option, and in tactical perspective it also gives more options for team to adjust on the run.

It's clear he is the Luiz replacement, and that's what he is. Luiz never played DMF here, but Elneny when we had to go that route due to injuries.

Yeah as extreme backup I agree, its nice to have. But definitely shouldn't the main thought behind signing a player.

drippin

Yeah as extreme backup I agree, its nice to have. But definitely shouldn't the main thought behind signing a player.
Rather than DMF, I can see White playing RB and going in the CB position while Tierney bombs forward. Or sometimes the other way around.

That's some possibility imo in later years if Saliba comes here and along with Gabriel comes good etc.

Goonger

Rather than DMF, I can see White playing RB and going in the CB position while Tierney bombs forward. Or sometimes the other way around.

That's some possibility imo in later years if Saliba comes here and along with Gabriel comes good etc.

Surely you want to decrease our dependence on attacking on the left side, not increase it?
White will be a centre back, Im sure of that.

drippin

Surely you want to decrease our dependence on attacking on the left side, not increase it?
White will be a centre back, Im sure of that.
White can attack on the right, he has the capabilities.

And I just said that he will be a CB here. Just some minor speculation against the DMF speculation mentioned above.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
White is certainly being signed for being a CB. But there are ways tactically to push one of your centre backs up when you have possession.

I'm not sure if its exclusive to when we played that shoe horn / donut formation, but I remember Holding essentially acting like an RB/CM down the inside right channel. It was strange but if we were to do that with White it would be sensational. Thats literally a position where White would be one of the best in Europe in terms of going forward. We need to try to centre our build up play around him, but it won't be easy considering we have a left side bias.

Who knows though maybe we are making our right side much more strong than ever next season: new RB / Chambers being better than Bellerin, then you have White RCB potentially pushing up, Partey hopefully getting to his best at RCM, and thats all supporting our best two wingers in Pepe or Saka at RW. It's really nice. You then potentialy play ESR LW, setting up Tierney on the overlap for dangerous crosses into Auba and maybe Madders arriving into the box (he has great positioning and I reckon would get on the end of some really clever dragbacks from Tierney).

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
White is certainly being signed for being a CB. But there are ways tactically to push one of your centre backs up when you have possession.
Once we sign a new RB then you can be sure of it. Atm we are not even linked with any RB so potentially White could end up playing some weird combination of RB and RCB while Tierney would be pushed forward. Arteta is a guy who likes to overthink things so I wouldn't be surprised to see some crazy combination there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom