• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Ben White

Worse Deal?

• Ben White for £50m

• Harry Maguire for £80m

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Who the hell is Rodon? :lol:

Sp**s look pretty far away from the other pairings...plus Nuno has only been good with a 3 at the back, so it will be interesting to see if they switch to that.

TornadoTed

Established Member
In my opinion,

Dias and Stones as the clear winner because they are tried and tested and injury free. I would put us and Sp**s 5th and 6th because of age, they are two youngest pairings and just how good a lot of the other guys are.

It is really hard to separate VVD/Konate, Maguire/Varane and Kounde/Rudiger. All could be fantastic but there are question marks. How will players acclimatise to the Premiership, will VVD get back to his pre injury level etc.

I can't think of a time when there were so many potentially great central defensive partnerships. It will facsinating to see how the season unfolds and if any of the partnerships are the 'difference maker'

bonzka

Actually reckon they'll do the media thing fast enough, since he needs to get into training ASAP.

Medical was already done, so this one shouldn't take long.

fella needs to endear himself to us. Straight into training. Max out the bleep test.

Starring turn in the next Arsenal training video.

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids
Good player. But David Luiz was also a good player (in 99% of the time) for Arsenal. But yes way better than the bums of Holding etc.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
In my opinion,

Dias and Stones as the clear winner because they are tried and tested and injury free. I would put us and Sp**s 5th and 6th because of age, they are two youngest pairings and just how good a lot of the other guys are.

It is really hard to separate VVD/Konate, Maguire/Varane and Kounde/Rudiger. All could be fantastic but there are question marks. How will players acclimatise to the Premiership, will VVD get back to his pre injury level etc.

I can't think of a time when there were so many potentially great central defensive partnerships. It will facsinating to see how the season unfolds and if any of the partnerships are the 'difference maker'

VVD/Konate (Matip), Koundé/Rüdiger, and Maguire/Varane, in that order.

Varane really isn't all that special, he's a good defender but he's not great bringing the ball out. When he first broke out he looked surely like he was going to be a generational CB (was at the clásico in the copa del rey when he really broke out and scored from a header, man what a potential monster he looked then) but injuries really took it out of him and at this point I'd prefer Ben White to him.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Tried and tested is obviously Dias and Stones, been very impressed with John Stones but when fit VVD and Konate are the best partnership there. VVD carried a trash defender like Lovren when they won the PL.

If VVD goes back to his form prior to his injury then he’ll carry that defence.
💯 I'd even go as far as to say that if VVD goes back into that form you can pretty much put anyone beside him and it'll be the best partnership.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Saw an article talking about the big 6 central defensive partnerships for next season and who was best.

Dias Stones
VVD Konate
Kounde Rudiger
Maguire Varane
Gabriel White
Romero Rodon

Opinions everyone?
VVD Konate (or Gomez, don't think it's obvious Konate will be chosen if both are fit)
Dias Stones

Maguire Varane

Gabriel White

Koundé Rudiger
Romero Rodon

Spaces to indicate clear gaps in quality

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

💯 I'd even go as far as to say that if VVD goes back into that form you can pretty much put anyone beside him and it'll be the best partnership.

Criminal that we didn’t even try for VVD when he was at Southampton and before Liverpool, City, Utd etc were interested in him.

Knew he was class whenever we found it so difficult playing against that Southampton team. I remember they were our bogey team for a while.

GDeep™

League is very weak
VVD/Konate (Matip), Koundé/Rüdiger, and Maguire/Varane, in that order.

Varane really isn't all that special, he's a good defender but he's not great bringing the ball out. When he first broke out he looked surely like he was going to be a generational CB (was at the clásico in the copa del rey when he really broke out and scored from a header, man what a potential monster he looked then) but injuries really took it out of him and at this point I'd prefer Ben White to him.
Kounde will play in a 3 and i think he’ll look great. In a two though, I’m not sure.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
And Holdini is still playing games as a starter :facepalm:

Wish that was the case as he was our best and most consistent player after KT and played vital role in us having such a good defensive record. However it looks like Wgite will replace Hlodini to improve the teams build up play at the back despite wearing us defensively. Hopefully White will be utilised as as DCM instead of CB.

Mitch

We can't pass ball from back we look clueless every time Luiz gone injured.

Disagree, Gabriel is very good on ball and Holding isn't as bad on the ball as many make out. The most imporant thing is in Holdini and Gabriel we have the mosr solid defensive CB pairing we have had in many years. Whilst ours CMs have never been this bad.

Last edited:

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Criminal that we didn’t even try for VVD when he was at Southampton and before Liverpool, City, Utd etc were interested in him.

Knew he was class whenever we found it so difficult playing against that Southampton team. I remember they were our bogey team for a while.
Yep, there was definitely an opening to sign in the summer of 2017 after Liverpool had tapped him up (and wasn't allowed to make a new approach until jan 2018 iirc). We could have sold Alexis and that would've funded the majority of VVD's fee as well.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
. Whilst ours CMs have never been this bad.

We were literally fielding a no legs Arteta along with a no legs Flamini.

Hell, we don't even need to go that far, we had Elneny along with Xhaka and Ceballos. Luckly a fit Partey will make a bigger difference this year.

Mitch

We were literally fielding a no legs Arteta along with a no legs Flamini.

Hell, we don't even need to go that far, we had Elneny along with Xhaka and Ceballos. Luckly a fit Partey will make a bigger difference this year.

Arteta was superior to our current crop of cms. In Ceballos first season, him and Xhaka actually had performaned well unlike last season where they were dreadful.

I hope you're right about Partey but going on just how woeful he was last season I am doubtful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom