• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Benjamin Pavard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
No idea what you all taking about, besides that goal against Argentina he was utter **** this world cup, provided nothing for the team, pure statistical player.
I have to agree. He’s been one of France worst players in the group stage imo. Looked solid against Argentina though.
Rb might not be his ideal position if he’s this sought after.

Last edited:

el_gibor

I can vouch for Pavard, think he’s the real deal and feel it’s inevitable he develops into an elite defender. As a centre-back that is though, not convinced by him at fullback.

40M would be a fair price for him I reckon.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I have to agree. He’s been one of France worst players in the group stage imo. Look solid against Argentina though.
Rb might not be his ideal position if he’s this sought after.

He's not a RB. He's a CB shifted into the France team as a defensive minded RB, just like Lucas Hernandez on the other side. So it's clear why he's not having an absolute stormer. He can deal with the position, but he's clearly not a RB, but a CB. His WC performance shouldn't really factor in his evaluation negatively - he's doing a solid job for a CB shifted to RB, you cannot expect a Dani Alves like performance.

That goal has surely upped his profile a little bit, regardless of what else he's done or not done. Our Stuttgart DoF isn't an idiot. He's worked for Leverkusen and Bayern and he's been doing shrewd and good business at VfB. Pavard won't come cheap.

Diallo and Soyuncu are valued around 30m, Pavard is a level above both. It's true Stuttgart did play a rather defensive solid setup, but if you've seen him there's no denying his positional and general awareness, calm, and footballing intelligence. On top of that he's got speed, stamina and great passing. A lot of these you can't teach. He's been rated by most outlets as not only BL's best young defender, but one of the top 10 CBs of last season. He's now made it into the WC squad of France and - luckily - has become a starter due to Deschamps' tactics. In today's market with a shrewd operator as DoF, he will cost 50 to 60m.

In his interview after the game he thanked Stuttgart and our last coach Hannes Wolf, said he owes it all. Maybe he's staying another season. He seems to like the city and club and his development is down to his time here - and going by what he said he knows that. At the beginning of the summer Reschke said he wouldn't be sold this window, but earliest in 2019 and him and the club had an agreement on how to deal with a transfer. Everyone thinks he's gone for around 50 but maybe, just maybe, he'll put in another season for us. Would be tremendous.

Last edited:

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
They said on the radio he has only started 30 something games as a pro at CB & not all in a top division.

Anyone spending big money on him taking one hell of a risk.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
it means no money Stuttgart president would imagine. why spend more then 40 now, when you can get him for 30 next summer, especially for a young guy who could use another season playing top football.

say yes

forum master baiter
Have we actually been linked to this chap?

Think the best thing for his career at the moment would be to stay at Stuttgart and continue his development.

say yes

forum master baiter
Beacuse if he explodes this year, money clubs will offer twice the contract we can.

Young CBs don’t really ‘explode’ though?

Even if he has another good campaign - top clubs are still going to be hesitant to spend £60m on a young CB who hasn’t been fully tested at the elite level.

In fact if he hits a rough patch in his development, as most young CBs do, that valuation will probably be significantly lower next summer.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

He's not a RB. He's a CB shifted into the France team as a defensive minded RB, just like Lucas Hernandez on the other side. So it's clear why he's not having an absolute stormer. He can deal with the position, but he's clearly not a RB, but a CB. His WC performance shouldn't really factor in his evaluation negatively - he's doing a solid job for a CB shifted to RB, you cannot expect a Dani Alves like performance.

That goal has surely upped his profile a little bit, regardless of what else he's done or not done. Our Stuttgart DoF isn't an idiot. He's worked for Leverkusen and Bayern and he's been doing shrewd and good business at VfB. Pavard won't come cheap.

Diallo and Soyuncu are valued around 30m, Pavard is a level above both. It's true Stuttgart did play a rather defensive solid setup, but if you've seen him there's no denying his positional and general awareness, calm, and footballing intelligence. On top of that he's got speed, stamina and great passing. A lot of these you can't teach. He's been rated by most outlets as not only BL's best young defender, but one of the top 10 CBs of last season. He's now made it into the WC squad of France and - luckily - has become a starter due to Deschamps' tactics. In today's market with a shrewd operator as DoF, he will cost 50 to 60m.

In his interview after the game he thanked Stuttgart and our last coach Hannes Wolf, said he owes it all. Maybe he's staying another season. He seems to like the city and club and his development is down to his time here - and going by what he said he knows that. At the beginning of the summer Reschke said he wouldn't be sold this window, but earliest in 2019 and him and the club had an agreement on how to deal with a transfer. Everyone thinks he's gone for around 50 but maybe, just maybe, he'll put in another season for us. Would be tremendous.

Do you think Bayern will get him for cheap though? Could they bully you into selling for say 30/40?

Toby

Do you think Bayern will get him for cheap though? Could they bully you into selling for say 30/40?

Hm. I think Reschke is too much of a good business man with a past of being a Bayern bully himself to let himself get bullied by his ex employers. On the other hand he does have a good/close relationship with them still. Apparently Stuttgart are/were interested in Rudy and that could've been part of a Pavard-Bayern deal, but by now we've signed Gonzalo Castro for central midfield, so I suppose the Rudy interest as cooled down.

Reschke has proven himself too shrewd to be bullied and he knows how they operate from his time as Bayern squad planner, they will only go in for Benji if they in turn sell Boateng for big money, so our DoF will know they can pay up and he knows Stuttgart need the money to bolster the squad. He aslo seems very, very aware of how much of a gem and thus financial asset Pavard is. Doubt he'll let himself get f*cked here, especially as he's been so bullish about the transfer fee himself.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Hm. I think Reschke is too much of a good business man with a past of being a Bayern bully himself to let himself get bullied by his ex employers. On the other hand he does have a good/close relationship with them still. Apparently Stuttgart are/were interested in Rudy and that could've been part of a Pavard-Bayern deal, but by now we've signed Gonzalo Castro for central midfield, so I suppose the Rudy interest as cooled down.

Reschke has proven himself too shrewd to be bullied and he knows how they operate from his time as Bayern squad planner, they will only go in for Benji if they in turn sell Boateng for big money, so our DoF will know they can pay up and he knows Stuttgart need the money to bolster the squad. He aslo seems very, very aware of how much of a gem and thus financial asset Pavard is. Doubt he'll let himself get f*cked here.

Hope you get a fair fee for him in the end, even if it means selling to PSG or.

Genuine question how do they keep doing it with teams? Is there just the threat that the players will run down the contract and leave for nothing?

It’s fascinating to me how they get away with it.

Toby

Hope you get a fair fee for him in the end, even if it means selling to PSG or.

Genuine question how do they keep doing it with teams? Is there just the threat that the players will run down the contract and leave for nothing?

It’s fascinating to me how they get away with it.

It's a mix of money, guaranteed titles and CL football, and their standing in the German football world. They are arguably the biggest german club, serial BL winners, legendary past. Having a chance at making it at Bayern ist tempting to most german players and it seriously puts you into the frame of the DFB people. Then there's the wages. Besides a bit of an elitist air, Munich is a beautiful city, close to nature and the Alps.

The low fees probably stem from german players mostly opting to stay in Germany instead of leaving the country/ a lack of interest in german players from other leagues. It's only been in the last decade that foreign interest has risen in the Özil/Schweinsteiger generation and more players have left for foreign leagues again. Still, Bayern is option no 1 for most german guys when climbing the ladder and it's seen as a sort of distinction if you've played for them.

There are a lot of great, prestigious clubs with great history in Germany, but none have been able to work so continually like Bayern on the business front. This has put them above all other clubs.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

L’Equipe saying Bayern have made contact with Pavard’s entourage.

Toby

What makes me wonder is the talk about the 2019 release clause.

https://www.swr.de/sport/fussball/bundesliga/vfb-stuttgart/Bundesliga-VfB-Stuttgart,pavard-108.html

Reschke says Pavard has "currently" no release clause.

https://www.swr.de/sport/fussball/vfb-stuttgart/Bundesliga-VfB-Stuttgart,reschke-zu-pavard-100.html

Here he says that he won't leavefor under 50m and that VfB is willing to work on a solution for 2019.

Btw, SWR is a local and reliable outlet.

So, there have been reports about a 2019 RC around 35m €, and Reschke has probably somewhat alluded to it by saying "currently" no RC, but it's actually not confirmed. What makes me wonder is, if you can have the player for 35 next summer, I don't think any club would go as far as paying at least 15m to 20m more just to have him this summer. This makes me think either the club is adamant on keeping him even if it means losing out on money, or something is up with the 2019 RC - maybe it's higher, maybe it doesn't exist at all. Though, there are clubs like PSG and City which don't care about money at all.

Earliest talk around the time Pavard signed a contract extension had Reschke saying there was no RC at all, not for 2018, not for 2019, but the club had a gentlemans' agreement with the player and his agent to get together and talk if a top club would show serious interest, but plan A was to keep him.

But still, I can't see a club pay say 55m € for a player they can sign for 35 the next summer and Reschke being alright with losing out on 15 to 20m, which is a lot of money for Stuttgart. I think Reschke is either trying to seriously milk interested clubs as he knows he will be much cheaper in 2019, or there is no RC for 2019, or the club value his staying more than the money they'd lose out on thinking with him they can challenge for the EL and get their hands on money that way.

All in all and notwithstanding contract details, I think Pavard is slowly creeping out of Arsenal's price range. Only way I can see him here is if he thinks it's a safer bet regarding playing time and development to join Arsenal instead of PSG or City. FYI, Holger Badstuber, another VfB and ex Bayern and Guardiola player is linked to join Man City as a backup CB, as is Boateng, which would probably rule out transfer addict Guardiola as a Pavard interested party. Think the main guys in for him are PSG and Bayern, but the latter still have to offload Jerome B before making any moves at CB.

Last edited:

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
We should overpay slightly now and leave him on loan for a season. We need something for the future despite our pressing present needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom