• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Benjamin The White šŸ“

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I liked that Rob was even going on a few runs from CB, White having a positive influence on everyone it seems :lol:

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
It's a bit strange that the media hasn't been hyping him up tbh. Baring Brenford, he's been really solid, forming a great partnership with Gabriel. Imagine if a 50m England CB went into Sp**s or United and made the same impact...

Not disappointed with this though, let the lad concentrate on his game.
You think the media are gonna admit they're wrong about an Arsenal player?. Lol. They're waiting for Ben to have a bad game so they can do 5 articles. Much like some of the fans here.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I liked what I saw mostly, and this was playing with a minor flu. He is starting to get confidence.

Looks like another decent performance. Apart from the forward runs, he's not an eye catching defender but very calm when defending and under pressure. Good signs.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
CDM claims are so dumb, playing well at CB at 23 so lets change his position, will definitely help his development.. :facepalm:
Not sure if it's dumb or not, maybe in some games it would work, in some, you want to play a high line and BW is great as a CB in that case.

Not saying it would be smart as I have no idea if he can play DMC, but if Saliba comes back to us, it's probably something to consider I guess

bingobob

A-Mā€™s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ā­

Arteta's best work came under a back 3 and it looks like we will have 3 very good centre backs. The obvious outcome is a back 3. Which means we will see Ben White in centre midfield and Saliba sent on loan, again.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Arteta's best work came under a back 3 and it looks like we will have 3 very good centre backs. The obvious outcome is a back 3. Which means we will see Ben White in centre midfield and Saliba sent on loan, again.
We don't have FB's to play that I'm afraid (maybe Tavares), and the new RB acquisition suggest that we want to play with a standard 4 line

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ā­

Player:Rice
Cannavaro and Baresi were no more than 5 ft '9 and they're all time great CB's.

If you can read the game and have other strong attributes you don't need to be 6ft+ to be a very good CB.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Not sure if it's dumb or not, maybe in some games it would work, in some, you want to play a high line and BW is great as a CB in that case.

Not saying it would be smart as I have no idea if he can play DMC, but if Saliba comes back to us, it's probably something to consider I guess

I get what you're saying but is it not better to just buy an actual CDM?

Its the same as David Luiz etc, yeah they might be able to play CDM but why not just buy a player who can play CDM, you can definitely find better CDM's than Ben White.

When a CB is 'world class' on the ball people always want to move them forward but they are world class on the ball at CB, not CDM.

Personally, I just dont get it, removing a player from the position they do well at to test the waters elsewhere.

Edit: also most players who can master two positions are usually world class in at least one; Koeman, Rijkaard, Gullit, Lahm, Kimmich etc.

Lets let Ben White reach his peak at CB first shall we.

Last edited:

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Cannavaro and Baresi were no more than 5 ft '9 and they're all time great CB's.

If you can read the game and have other strong attributes you don't need to be 6ft+ to be a very good CB.

Hah are people still talking about this?

I remember putting a list together back in the summer on this subject; Ramos is 6ft, Puyol was 5'10..

The list goes on and on..

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I get what you're saying but is it not better to just buy an actual CDM?
If he can give us the same performance as a CDM, it's actually fine. We'll potentially be on a tight budget next summer, Auba is getting older and we need a top CF to compete again.
Let's imagine Saliba comes back and becomes a starting CB, BW moves to midfield and we get top CF with our budget... not too bad, is it?
In an ideal world, we have 3 good CB's, make massive investments for CF and DMC, just a question if that's realistic or not after everything we've spent this summer and being out of Europe.

I'm not a huge fan of testing him in midfield, but if that's what it takes for us to get a top CF and bring Saliba back, I'm all for it.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
CDM claims are so dumb, playing well at CB at 23 so lets change his position, will definitely help his development.. :facepalm:
Itā€™s not dumb. Bielsa and Potter both tried him out at DM from time to time. Pretty sure he came on for England as a DM too. Itā€™s not like this idea has come out of nowhere. He looks more like a DM than a CB. Let me put it to like this, would it be dumb to play Tomiyasu in CB despite his good performances at RB? No, cos I think most of us would agree Tomiyasu looks more like a CB.

Latest posts

Top Bottom