• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Benjamin The White 📝

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I really don’t see how 1 bad season from Auba makes him a disappointing signing. Özil would be a looked at more favourably had he just left on a free also.

I wasn’t a fan of the Ben White signing for the record, because of Saliba and just Arteta really, but yeah all this stuff I’m not rolling.

Melquiades

The thing with White is he killed Saliba, so he’s going to get extra static.

Saliba was dead as an Arsenal player before White and if it wasn't White it would have been somebody else.

Something happened last summer between team and player around the club's (unfair) pulling him from the French Cup final with Saint-Etienne and I'll be shocked if he every plays a first-team game for this regime.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Not ready to write him off after just one game, but that one game was really shocking. Probably one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a defender, and at Arsenal that really says something. Lad couldn't even defend in the box, he was always in the wrong position outside of it and forced the midfielder to cover for him inside.

The fact that we had to buy a CB/RB just to cover for our 50mil signing's deficiency doesn't feel me with any extra confidence either.

Kav

Established Member
Not ready to write him off after just one game, but that one game was really shocking. Probably one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a defender, and at Arsenal that really says something. Lad couldn't even defend in the box, he was always in the wrong position outside of it and forced the midfielder to cover for him inside.

The fact that we had to buy a CB/RB just to cover for our 50mil signing's deficiency doesn't feel me with any extra confidence either.

Awww come on it wasn't that bad. Do you not remember squilacci? Listen, i don't rate Ben as a defender and i was one of the few who openly said that the purchase of white was a downgrade on Luiz before we even signed him. However the notion that you can judge him after only one game is short sighted.

I personally think he will need 3 years to develop into a decent CB. Which is not what we need and if we are going to spend that time developing a player we might as well have used either Mavropanos or Saliba, both of whom will have better careers than Ben White.

Truth is we need to give him more time to see if he is just trash or if he can be worth the trouble. All i know is that i don't trust this management team when it comes to building a squad these days. They have the right strategy but the execution is poor.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Lots of Captain Hindsights in here popping up to say "I told you so" after seeing him play 1 game :lol::facepalm:

Think everyone is just used to CBs being bad for us at this point, tbh.

When's the last time we signed one, that has been a success here...Per in 2011?

The rest after that have been terrible or young/not proven enough.

tcahill

The finances on this deal as an individual signing aren't as wasteful as people think.

Despite his high purchase cost, he is on low wages (80k), which across his 4 year contract will look a lot better in total cost, considering a more established CB would probably want wages of 150k+, (Varane is on 300k I believe). And if he flops it's far easier to move him on.

Still think we should have kept Saliba though.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Think he's a good player with the potential to be great, everyone has poor games. The fee isn't his fault so I would hope he doesn't let that affect him.

In an ideal world I'd have used Saliba this season and used the cash on someone like Bissouma but it's a move that further shows that Arteta will be here long term to me.

For all the talk of replacing Xhaka, that is his guy in midfield. Ramsdale, White/Gabriel and Partey/Xhaka looks like his spine if he can resist the temptation to rotate.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Added him to my Fantasy team so I hope he plays a blinder.

Not a bad player but the circumstances of this transfer are really against him.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
People need to get a grip. Don't worry - I'll hand you the pitchfork myself if he's terrible after a season, but one game??? There's more Judge than Dredd in this thread.
He is our best signing this season, he will come good.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
The thing with White is he killed Saliba, so he’s going to get extra static.
Saliba killed Saliba when he stood up for Mateo instead of putting his head down and train with the rest of the team.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
I had White & Tierney for the Brentford game 🤣 I dont have any Arsenal players now!

Not only you. People were putting in White since he was just 4.5 and I tried to warn them all - He's cheap because we will concede and won't win in either of first 3 games.

I think now is the time to get him back in tho. :D

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

I can think of one guy

Can't believe I forgot Rob, been shilling for him for a year too, ffs :lol:

You can discount Holding, as a young player who grew into the team, who was bought for a low fee...but if you look at the "established" CBs we bought after Per...Gabriel (not the current one), Mustafi, Sokratis, Luiz, Gabriel (current one) that's pretty bad...though I liked Luiz, only really Gabriel could be counted as a success, and even that is more on potential too.

Impact

Established Member
I wanted to have it on the record that I think Ben White will be readily considered as world class in a few seasons. He has it all as a modern day defender. He's settling in now but by the end of the season, barring injuries, we'll be talking about him as an outside contender for a starting place at the World Cup. He is that good.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Not only you. People were putting in White since he was just 4.5 and I tried to warn them all - He's cheap because we will concede and won't win in either of first 3 games.

I think now is the time to get him back in tho. :D

I do the Sky fantasy with a group of mates, I won the league last season. Still no Arsenal players but I did put Tanganga in, sent off and conceded 3 🤣

Latest posts+

Top Bottom