• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Benjamin The White šŸ“

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
He is not a CB. My prediction of him being moved to midfield by the end of the season will come through. Just watch
You see the vision. Heā€™s the Seaside Rice. I know football fans have this weird obsession of converting a CB into a DM, but it actually makes sense with White. Thereā€™s no way heā€™s a top 4 CB. Chelsea sold Zouma to West Ham and heā€™s a better defender than White. Honestly speaking where does White fall into when it comes to top CBs?

Varane
Dias
Van Dijk
Konate
Silva
Rudiger
Christensten (?)
Matip
Gomez
Stones
Laporte
Lindelof(?)

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

You see the vision. Heā€™s the Seaside Rice. I know football fans have this weird obsession of converting a CB into a DM, but it actually makes sense with White. Thereā€™s no way heā€™s a top 4 CB. Chelsea sold Zouma to West Ham and heā€™s a better defender than White. Honestly speaking where does White fall into when it comes to top CBs?

Varane
Dias
Van Dijk
Konate
Silva
Rudiger
Christensten (?)
Matip
Gomez
Stones
Laporte
Lindelof(?)
You cant be his size and also be as physically weak as he is in the PL as a CB. teams will always target you. He dont get questioned because he is English in the media and football media is full of stupid ex footballers. i remember Danny Mills saying he was too good for Arsenal and united should have got him instead of varane lool. How in 2 years he can see him at City. Its just weird

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ā­

Ā£50m should buy you an oven baked ready made CB.
Fair point but 10M HG tax, 5M England international tax and 5M youā€™re richer than us and have money tax. We have to respect the rules of the market and view the guy as a 30-40M purchase.

Even saying that, the money has been agreed on now. All that matters for White are his performances not the ratio of his performance versus his price tag. Thatā€™s how Edteta are judged, not the player.

Trilly

Trusted ā­

Difference between Ben White and John Stones at the same age?

Can see White being a top CB at a team that doesnā€™t have to do much defending. Using his recovery pace, ability to get blocks in and his passing ability I think City fans would be raving about him. Meanwhile at Arsenal the very same player could end up being rated as a complete flop.

GunnerShy

Fair point but 10M HG tax, 5M England international tax and 5M youā€™re richer than us and have money tax. We have to respect the rules of the market and view the guy as a 30-40M purchase.

Even saying that, the money has been agreed on now. All that matters is the performance not the performance:pricetag ratio. Thatā€™s how Edteta are judged, not the player.
I still believe in opportunity cost.

That said, there is a player there. I'm just not sure it's a centre back

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Iā€™m worried about him but Iā€™m not sure how much of it we have to ignore as he is a baby in CB years. Would be interesting to know how many mistakes the top CBs were making in their early years.

Weā€™re going to have to be patient with him which is asking a lot of the fan base. The average age of our first choice back like is like 23? There are going to be tough times ahead but if they all develop together it could be something special. šŸ„²
What's this talk of being a baby? He is almost 24 ffs, even a goal keeper wouldn't be able to use youth as an excuse by that age.

Haven't seen people molly coddling Gabriel on account of his youth too much, despite him being actually younger than White and costing half as much.

Trilly

Trusted ā­

What's this talk of being a baby? He is almost 24 ffs, even a goal keeper wouldn't be able to use youth as an excuse by that age.

Haven't seen people molly coddling Gabriel on account of his youth too much, despite him being actually younger than White and costing half as much.
I think defensive positions rely heavily on experience and while we do get the odd defensive wonder-kid, most defenders donā€™t become the best versions of themselves until their late twenties.

Most elite partnerships have at least one relatively old defender but ours are both 23 so we have to understand there will be growing pains. The tricky part will be deciding if a player is **** or just developing.

Last edited:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I think defensive positions rely heavily on experience and while we do get the odd defensive wonder-kid, most defenders donā€™t become the best versions of themselves until their late twenties.

Most elite partnerships have at least one relatively old defender in their but ours are both 23 so we have to understand there will be growing pains.

Stones was almost considered finished there not so long ago then all of a sudden had the season of his life alongside Dias.

23 is still very young for a CB, still far away from his prime anyways. It's why I'd have preferred if he came into a team alongside Luiz maybe as opposed to another young CB not long arriving from a foreign league and isn't exactly fluent in English. But it is what it is.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka šŸ˜­
I canā€™t help wondering if Saliba would have been able to come in and put in a similar level of performance. Why buy potential in a position where you already bought potential 2 years ago? A Varane type signing plus Saliba back in would have left money over and given us a leader at the back. Then again maybe we do have a bigger budget now where 50m isnā€™t a big deal anymore in which case great.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Most elite partnerships have at least one relatively old defender in their but ours are both 23 so we have to understand there will be growing pains.

That's why a back three of Saliba-White-Gabriel, would have worked better...3 young defenders yes, but a little less pressure on them with 3 of them back in defence.

TornadoTed

Established Member

Even saying that, the money has been agreed on now. All that matters for White are his performances not the ratio of his performance versus his price tag. Thatā€™s how Edteta are judged, not the player.
I agree, I don't get the obsession with fees.

Pepe constantly gets stick because he cost Ā£70m. That wasn't his fault, it was a shady Raul deal and he isn't even at the club any longer. Who cares what he cost, he is the only player we have who consistently gets goals and assists.

All I look at is, are they a good player, do they improve us or not. Same with White, if we are a better side with him in it then I don't care if he cost Ā£5m or Ā£50m.

AbouCuƩllar

Author of A-M essays šŸ“š
He is not a CB. My prediction of him being moved to midfield by the end of the season will come through. Just watch
The old David Luiz theory (or Eric Dier, or a million before).

Let's take a player whose qualities are interesting precisely because of the position he plays, and put him in a position where his qualities are no longer interesting whatsoever for anyone other than Burnley.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

The old David Luiz theory (or Eric Dier, or a million before).

Let's take a player whose qualities are interesting precisely because of the position he plays, and put him in a position where his qualities are no longer interesting whatsoever for anyone other than Burnley.
Exactly. I remember reading that while he covered Phillips okay in midfield, he wasn't at the same level there and was better even at RB/RWB.

OnlyOne

ā€˜Donkeys donā€™t have a peak, they remain uselessā€™
Trusted ā­

Ben White will never, ever be a midfielder at Arsenal. The same lot who were obsessed with Luiz playing CM yet he never did. Ben White is a fine CB in a two, he showed it at Leeds game in game out against some of the ugly physical strikers, he's played two games, relax.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
The guy is talented.
He is gonna be targeted in the Air by Chris Wood though next week & others.
The thing is people judge footballers far too quickly nowadays.
The comparison with John Stones is a good one imho.

He will get done in the air at times but so will taller players.
Look at Holding v Sterling or the goal against City the other week. Ben White wasnt responsible for those.
Varanes France conceded headed goals & went crashing out of the Euros it happens.

The worry now is that everytime we concede from a header or he loses one he will get grief.

He has pace so will make recovery runs that some of our other defenders could not so we are less likely to concede that way.
He will also play passes that help lead to goals, bring the ball out of defence and create space for others so our attack is better.

Judge him at the end of the season, lets see If he can build up a decent partnership with Gabriel.
If so & we are winning more football matches with him in the side that is the real benchmark.

I have no idea if he will be a 'top level' CB.
He is not perfect but can improve.

However he is certainly a very good footballer.

You may question the height/price

He is the same height as Mustafi & Ā£15m more expensive due to English tax & the fact he can actually play football.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka šŸ˜­
Ben White will never, ever be a midfielder at Arsenal. The same lot who were obsessed with Luiz playing CM yet he never did. Ben White is a fine CB in a two, he showed it at Leeds game in game out against some of the ugly physical strikers, he's played two games, relax.
People were calling Mustafi and Swis$ Charlie Adam great signings after 2 games and look how that turned out. Guy needs a run of games in a settled team to start showing what he can do I donā€™t blame him for looking nervous so far he will only get better with more games for us.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

He is 6 cm shorter than John Dtones. That makes big difference. 182cm vs 1.88cm

Top Bottom