• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Benjamin The White šŸ“

GDeepā„¢

League is very weak
I would leave things as they are and potentially look at White as a long term RB option maybe. Obviously heā€™s restricted getting forward but so was Tomiyasu.

All depends on Saliba, who I donā€™t think will extend.

OnlyOne

ā€˜Donkeys donā€™t have a peak, they remain uselessā€™
Trusted ā­

White had the most tackles and recoveries I think which just shows how much Palace relied on Zaha doing something which he didnā€™t, he beat White a few times but thatā€™ll happen to any full back in the league when you give Zaha the ball so much. Luckily we have another top CB who made sure he was there to help out, thought they worked well together.

Gave the ball dangerously a few times unfortunately which hurt us.

OnlyOne

ā€˜Donkeys donā€™t have a peak, they remain uselessā€™
Trusted ā­

I would leave things as they are and potentially look at White as a long term RB option maybe. Obviously heā€™s restricted getting forward but so was Tomiyasu.

All depends on Saliba, who I donā€™t think will extend.

Did you extend at the final whistle?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ā­
Were we watching a different match? Zaha was being left wide open to run riot on numerous occassions in the 2nd half.

Everytime Palace got the ball, they just sprayed it right (where Zinchenko's lack of pace was exposed) or left to Zaha.

Believe Tomi would've done much better at RB had he been fit to play.

So what game were you watching?

Saliba highlights. When you consider Saliba didn't get dribbled past once in the game the video shows all of his defensive actions.

He covered for White 3 Times in the entire 90 minutes. CBs have to come across and cover more than that on the usual vs Zaha and he also gets doubled up on which we didn't do.

White played better off the ball than he did on it. Just because a ball gets floated over and he has to run back with Zaha and you feel stressed watching it, it doesn't mean he is stressed in that moment.

I didn't see him getting twisted in and out, sat down and nutmeggesd. In fact I saw him intercepting, disposessing and being physical also. Good game from White.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ā­

Player:Rice
Did he help the attack by overlapping occasionally, like good FBs do? Nope.
Did he give the ball away in defensive positions? Yep, 3 times at least.
Did their winger get past him. Yes, multiple times.
Did our winger have to come back and help cover? Yes, most of the second half.

If anyoneā€™s got an Arteta agenda on display here, itā€™s try to spin that into a ā€˜good gameā€™. He may settle down in that role, I know heā€™s not used to it and he had some spells in the game that werenā€™t too bad. But overall that wasnā€™t a good game. Fortunately Saliba was very assured next to him.

What you're saying he is didn't put on a masterclass RB performance where he bombed forward, never gave the ball away, never got beaten and never needed any cover ( which is the wide mens job to do by the way) Prime Cafu would struggle live up to these standards and I doubt you're putting every other player under such an intense microscope.

Fact is he's a centre back by trade up against one of the top 5 wide men in the PL in Zaha ( on his day) no sh1t he's going to be prioritising doing his main job, defending, over bombing on on the overlap like he's Cafu. I'm pretty sure he was instructed to do that. You'd have slaughtered him if he did bomb on and got caught out of position upfield anyway I'm sure.

Was he the best player on the pitch? No. Did he do a good job in a position he hasn't played in for a while up against a really good player in Zaha? Yep.

Anyone rating him less than a 6-7 /10 is clearly pushing an agenda against the lad.

D

Deleted member 102404

Disagree, think Gabriel was good last and much better of the two out of him White last year. I thought White was very poor in the first and final third of last season but was good innthe second third of season.

I've said for while I believe White is far more suited at RB or CM than cb (he doesn't have positional awareness for a CB) and he is showig this now with his RB form. Tomi will have some competition from White for the spot.

Whiteā€™s (and the rest of the defence) best period was early in the season after the first 3 games (two of which white did not play) and he continued to play well all through the season until he picked up an injury.
Gabriel has to remove the moments of panic in his defending, but I still rate him.

Unfortunately for White, he was signed by Arteta, so there is a certain element if it can base who will always slag him off.
Heā€™s been an excellent signing so far - very early into his Arsenal career.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ā­

Player:Saliba

If anyoneā€™s got an Arteta agenda on display here, itā€™s try to spin that into a ā€˜good gameā€™. He may settle down in that role, I know heā€™s not used to it and he had some spells in the game that werenā€™t too bad. But overall that wasnā€™t a good game. Fortunately Saliba was very assured next to him.
He was lucky yesterday he had Saka to help him and Saliba to cut out danger. He looked crap for a large spell yesterday giving the ball away on multiple occasions giving away silly fouls and getting a needless yellow card, compared to Saliba who didn't concede a single foul and won all his duels.

TinFish

White would be a fantastic option to have on the bench if Saliba solidifies his position.

Literally Liverpool/city bench quality material in him.

Hope he doesnā€™t mind, after all his passions are not in football right? Spending Ā£10,000 a week to keep his eyebrows in check whilst coming off the bench when needed is a great situation to have with him.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba

Preach GIF

Macho

In search of Pure Profit šŸ’ø
Dusted šŸ”»

Good game can't complain. Probably 2nd best out of the back line on the night? You could debate Zinchenko being 2nd but to me Zinny got dangled by Ayew, White kept it respectable against Zaha.

White and Tomi both very much look like CB's playing at RB though and that will need to be addressed in the market at some point, it's a baby elephant in the room for now.

sdotzdot

Established Member
Great player once again proving his quality. He had a fantastic game and with Zinchenko was our best player behind Saliba.

Heā€™s become a meme with rival fans purely because he cost Ā£50m. United fans compare him to Maguire :lol:

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Ɩzil, come assist me please!
If he can make Zaha look like the little ***** he made him look like tonight, he can definitely end up benching Tomi at RB.

Well done Ben, starting to get some quality depth in the team now.
What match were youbwatching? Zaha tortured us and if not last gasp Saliba and Ramsdale save, the score woulsnt bw what it was.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit šŸ’ø
Dusted šŸ”»

My worry is he isnt much better than Holding, but he cost 50 million.
As a pure thumping header/clearance defender Holding is better.

The requirements for that role under Arteta though you need a lot more and White is the better player. Not the best use of 50 mil I've ever seen but you could say the same with almost all of our biggest signings.

Top Bottom