• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bergkamp - can he still cut it?

jaygooner

The Iceman deserves another year, we should use him as a super sub, he's still got that magic touch that can turn a game.

Senght

Ill want him for another year, the magic is still there and you can't dobt that he is a legendary striker. He should provide cover for our young lads. Late sub to frighten their defenders maybe? heh

satan_beckham

i really dont see him staying for another year...he is just past it in my opinion,look at the game against man city,when he was playing we dont looked very attacking,but when Reyes came in we suddenly attack so much..its good to retire now then later or else he will be like seaman

Anders Limpar

I think it would be great if he slowly, over the next season or so though still being in the squad helped to mould the young guns into our attacking style of football...

...if he is half as good to teach what he knows from what he's learnt over the years it would be excellent for everyone at Arsenal!!!

gypped

I wish Bergy could always be at his prime because I never want to see the day he leaves us, but I agree, if we get silverware this season, I think it would be best for him to leave on a high note. I'll miss him though. :cry:

pamilih

Everybody will miss our living legend. Just like toward Seaman, I can easily let him do whatever he wants. He has earned it.

If he sticks around and coach the youngsters that's great. If he appears at subs, wonderful.

A club's culture is built on this sort of continuation.

satan_beckham

think its best if he be a coach,but he has said so many times that after retiring he wants to go back to holland his hometown...

beaney

give him another year as a bit part player. coming on as a super sub! i think hes much more effective that way, he doesnt seem to produce as much when he starts a game.

he can still be useful as his passing is still second to none. if were struggling to unlock a defence he could be the key.

better off with him than kanu or wiltord IMO.

wouldnt want him hanging on for nothing though, its sad when players stay TRYING to play when they clearly shuldve given up (seaman)

Sammer

Established Member
It all depends on Bergy.

If he is fine with the role of a "super sub" as Beany put it - he´d be perfect and I think that there should be no doubt that he is still a great player. Sure, his best days are behind him, but his experience and vision (=passing) is still first class.

So if Bergy is D´accord with his role as sub, or as a main player when needed, he´d be perfect.

n_henry

Sammer - Yep, if Bergy's happy to be more of a sub player, then we should sign him for another year (assuming his wage demands aren't too high ;) )...

He can't cut it anymore as a starting XI player. :(

A

Anonymous

End of the road for Bergie. All your sentiments are commendable, but do you really want to see him flopping around on the pitch, thrashing around like a trout in a net, while younger players run circles around him?

All good things must come to an end, friends. For Bergkamp, the end must be on a high, not like Seaman.

I love Dennis, my fave player ever for the Gunners but I think he should probably give it away at the end of this year if his form stays the same. he still has moments of nagic but it's not like a few years ago.

A

Anonymous

simply NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

he is holding up the development of the youth.

Just look at Reyes comming on against CITEH. He did more to excite the fans then bergie did all season.

:mrgreen:

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Bottom line is, I guess Dennis will sit down with Arsène at the end of the season and have a chat. If Arsène thinks Dennis is worth another contract, he'll offer it. If Dennis thinks he can play on, he'll sign it. If not it's bye bye to one of the greatest ever Gunners.

Gooner83

Bergy will probably think he can play on, and Wenger won't.

Bergy lives and breathes football, so i guess it will be hard to tell him.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I'm not sure, I think Dennis has always been one of the more level headed football greats. I think he will know if it is time for him to quit.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
i think it all depends on how we do in the CL this year... if we end up winning it (which could happen), he will certainly retire... if we get to the Semis of finals but do NOT win, i think he will want to stick around for 1 more year to try to get that CL medal (the only championship he hasnt won)

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have always been the club of the people, the streets. Arsenal was one of the first clubs to really have black players, so it did represent the mass of the UK and how London is. I hope people at the club know that and who are they playing for.

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom