Bernd Leno: 2019/20 Performances

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Aevi, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Furious

Furious Xhaka Propagandist

He still hasn't fixed his MacIntosh?

GDeep™ likes this.
  2. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Prefers To Be Called Dennis

3. hydrofluoric acid

Furious likes this.
  4. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, But Rarely

@UpTheGunnerz

5. CaseUteinberger

CaseUteinberger Cazorla (not Carzola ffs)

Things like this happen especially when we allow cheap free kicks in dangerous positions. We really need to cut down on this.

Still it was a real howler and Leno will be the first man to admit that. He has been a rock for us this season. Good to see team mates and fans rally around him! COYG!

Pepes blue pill and Red London like this.
  6. Hleb's Sirush

Hleb's Sirush Well-Known Member

Two things to consider when looking at that. First of all 5 of those errors were in his first season, which everyone has acknowledged he started very shaky. For comparison Alisson, who widely has been recognised as the best GK in the league was credited with 3 errors leading to goals last season.

Secondly, what constitutes an 'error' is very dubious imo. For example Leno's only other error he has been credited with this season is the first Sp**s goal, where he saves the initial shot but doesn't parry it wide and Eriksen scores from the rebound. If he let in the first shot it wouldn't have counted as a mistake.

West Ham's reserve GK Roberto has been credited with 2 errors leading to goals this season. I have seen highlights of their games where he has been responsible for 5 or 6 mistakes, including scoring an own goal, yet they didn't count it. If a GK lets a straightforward shot go in without getting much contact on it, it won't count as a mistake. If you however save a fierce shot but it stays close to the goal and someone scores the rebound it will count as a 'spill' and counts as a gk mistake for Opta stats.

Anyway crosses and high balls were Leno's weaknesses. Thought he improved on that but slight worry he still is capable of messing those up.

NieThePiet, Riou, Ewarwoowar and 2 others like this.
  7. PoleInGoal

PoleInGoal Well-Known Member

Bounced back very well today. Didn't have too much to do but he was confident and decisive on aerial balls, and flawless in his handling. Kicking wasn't great today but still, showed great character after the last game.

8. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

Kicking was really poor today but clean sheet is very important for his confidence after Chelsea also very good save from Rashford late in the game

NieThePiet, BenTal, bojed and 2 others like this.
  9. BenTal

BenTal Active Member

He was more confident in long balls yesterday! I am so impressed by his performance.

10. GoonerJeeves

GoonerJeeves Up The Terriers

11. krackpot

krackpot Well-Known Member

Great shot stopping against Chelski

You feel a sense of security with him in goal.

El Granit-Coq and Manberg like this.
  12. Manberg

Manberg Predator

Leno was getting criticism on AFTV for slow distribution. That’s the sort of thing we miss on tv.

13. andeoch1

andeoch1 Active Member

Leno is a very good shot stopper and his reaction saves are super. however, he fails to command the box at all and that leads to problems. Our defense is not very big and he needs to forcefully meet more crosses and corners.

Taneruit likes this.
  14. Camron

Camron Established Member

Kept us alive on multiple occasions. Great game from him. Between him and Mustafi for MotM for me.

15. Gunner140

Gunner140 Active Member

I think that this save from close range against Calvert-Lewin was decisive. If that would go in, Arsenal might even lost this match.

A stunning second half from Leno.

16. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

He admit he could've done better at 2nd goal.

2nd half was fantastic

17. Manberg

Manberg Predator

He takes (and shows) responsibility. I really like that. Need to figure out why he never saves a penalty, which I think is a technique issue that could be coached.

18. CJJ

CJJ Well-Known Member

Lovely shotstopper, awful distributor. I'd argue he has to take a some responsibility that last minute goal.
    Complete and utter idiotic corner to give away. I was furious when it happened, and the fact they get a goal from a transition following that just puts fuel to the fire.

Has to ****ing improve his distribution.

krengon and Mrs Bergkamp like this.
  19. hydrofluoric acid

Not surprised. A stuff like this has been waiting to happen for long time. His distribution and lack of confidence under pressure is so obvious. Just thankful he is not a surgeon.

Mrs Bergkamp likes this.
  20. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Well-Known Member

I was underwhelmed when we signed him. I praised what he did well but let's not fall in to this trap again. We should be looking for a better number 1. I'm not being knee jerk. I just don't think he's top, top class. He's not authoritative and despite heroics, these mistakes are beginning to stick a bit. He'll be Buffon at the weekend but who cares?