• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marjorie

Thread Monopolizer
We won the FA Cup because of him. Ultimately Wenger had faith in Almunia.

Leno isn’t bad, but he’s kinda a kick in the teeth when you consider we could have had far superior players like Fabianski and Chesney in goal here.

A couple of very good games in that cup run but could he do it over a full season with the pressure of a big club and demanding fanbase? Not for me, Clive.

It was a fairytale ending for him here and it's good he went out the way he did.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Can someone tell me why Xhaka decided to pass it back to his goalkeeper's weaker foot when he was being pressed?

The fact that he's not the first line of attack or last line of defence means he rarely bears the consequence of his poor choices, but a delayed pass forward that kills an attacking opportunity or an awkward pass backwards that puts his team mates in danger happens every. single. game.

Leno was still culpable but he should never have been put in that position with a minute to go.

Quite a few people didn't agree with me when I said Fernandes will transform United's midfield but having a player with courage who plays with both a sense of urgency and takes responsibility will do exactly that.
Could not agree more!

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

The one big gripe I have with Leno is his lack of size. Makes him too unsure with high balls into the box. Would like a more dominant GK on corners and crosses. But for now he isn’t the biggest of our problems and we have plenty of other positions that need strengthening sooner than his.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Fabianski...apparently one of the best keepers in the league, yet only played for Swansea and West Ham since leaving us, plus heading for a possible second relegation in a few years.

Lukas doesn't have the mental attributes to play for a top team, great shot stopper though, but not a great goalkeeper.
I supported him for years but came to the conclusion he was a mide-table keeper at best. Shines in clubs who are up against it because he makes many saves but is often beaten by stuff he should be saving.

The look of fear in his eyes reminded me of Senderos.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Saw a stat on Sky Sports showing the most mistakes leading to goals, Leno is behind Pickford and De Gea in the top 4.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
How and why is Xhaka being partially blamed for a Leno mistake? It was perfectly normal back pass to the keeper.

Camus

Trusted ⭐
Saw a stat on Sky Sports showing the most mistakes leading to goals, Leno is behind Pickford and De Gea in the top 4.
Everton 2nd goal last week and Chelsea goal in December are the two from this season. Last season it was Southampton 3rd goal and Sp**s Eriksen goal but I'm drawing a blank on what the other three are, was it one against Wolves and they count one against Palace?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Just behind Auba on the list of problems we have in the squad. No idea why this thread is on page one :lol:
He’s not a problem but I just can’t ever get behind guys like him.

The guys who are good 99% of the time but let you down when it really matters. He cost us the Chelsea game at home and he pretty much got us kicked out of Europe.

Doesn’t seem to have the bottle and that’s a shame.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
He’s not a problem but I just can’t ever get behind guys like him.

The guys who are good 99% of the time but let you down when it really matters. He cost us the Chelsea game at home and he pretty much got us kicked out of Europe.

Doesn’t seem to have the bottle and that’s a shame.
I don't see where the 'bottle' thing comes from tbh. I can't remember the mistakes in those two games off the top of my head, but why would that come down to bottle? They're just two random games. You wont find perfection anywhere. Keepers make mistakes. Why should we ignore the match saving saves he has also made? With keepers, you should be looking at the performance over the very long term and takes into account factors like exposure, form and other stuff. I was indifferent and unconvinced about Leno for along time when other who have since lost faith, were creaming themselves. I've slowly come to the conclusion that he's far from a problem and I'm glad we have him. It's going to take a string off errors over a long period to ruin my faith in him.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I don't see where the 'bottle' thing comes from tbh. I can't remember the mistakes in those two games off the top of my head, but why would that come down to bottle? They're just two random games. You wont find perfection anywhere. Keepers make mistakes. Why should we ignore the match saving saves he has also made? With keepers, you should be looking at the performance over the very long term and takes into account factors like exposure, form and other stuff. I was indifferent and unconvinced about Leno for along time when other who have since lost faith, were creaming themselves. I've slowly come to the conclusion that he's far from a problem and I'm glad we have him. It's going to take a string off errors over a long period to ruin my faith in him.
I think they come down to bottle because they’ve happened in big games, crucial moments. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the errors have come when the stakes were high.

We know they’re crucial moments and so the players must do too. Some guys just can’t deal with that pressure. I think he’s one of them but we’ll see.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
I think they come down to bottle because they’ve happened in big games, crucial moments. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the errors have come when the stakes were high.

We know they’re crucial moments and so the players must do too. Some guys just can’t deal with that pressure. I think he’s one of them but we’ll see.
I can’t say I’ve noticed a trend but we’ll see. I’ve always been sceptical of drawing those types of conclusions tbh. It’s almost the same as the ‘never scores against big teams’ one. I know they exist, but I need big sample sizes to be convinced, otherwise I see them as random stuff.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Came up big with top class saves when required again today.

Any chance of him making the Team of year ahead of Henderson and Allison?

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Some still want him sold.

They think fabianski is better ffs

benjamin86

Established Member

No, Allison form would have to collapse between now and end of the season. Leno has been good for us but his errors have come in high profile games and cost us points.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Between Henderson and Leno imo

think @hydrofluoric acid would give him a 4/10 for his performance today. but maybe on a good day a 5.

Should have costed us penalty and least yellow card, don't know how the rules are these days.

Good shot stopper, 8/10 for that today. Always on the verge of having a breakdown which make the whole defense nervous. Our weakest link and that saying we have some terrible defenders in front of him. 2/10 for his mental performance. So 5/10 but as I'm in good mood I will give him extra point so 6/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom