• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
It was Sokratis' mistake not Leno's. He is told to pass from the back so you can't really blame him for that.

Btw, shouldn't Watford's first goal have been disallowed as I'm sure one of their players was inside the penalty before Leno kicked the ball?

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
So has Sokratis. Why pas to Sokratis if he hasn't got time to do anything but hoof it, which was the claim I was responding to.
Yeah if there's a pattern to the options Leno chooses I can't see it atleast. But tbf to Leno none of the players are good enough to play out from the back you know why? Because there isn't a proper system applied to the whole thing. There's no variation. It's just the two CBs on either side and the full backs on the touchline. Watch how City switch up there positions from goalkicks. It's almost never the same.

Balboa

Yeah if there's a pattern to the options Leno chooses I can't see it atleast. But tbf to Leno none of the players are good enough to play out from the back you know why? Because there isn't a proper system applied to the whole thing. There's no variation. It's just the two CBs on either side and the full backs on the touchline. Watch how City switch up there positions from goalkicks. It's almost never the same.

So putting 100% blame on Sokratis and 0% on Leno doesn't make much sense to me....

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
So putting 100% blame on Sokratis and 0% on Leno doesn't make much sense to me....
I'm not blaming Sokratis 100%. If anything this whole thing could have been avoided if Emery could either coach the damn team to be actually good at playing out from the back OR give clear instructions to not risk it if you're not sure about it. Judging by how we messed up twice before the goal and still stuck to it tells me it's a clear instruction to not worry too much about mistakes because it's a percentage game.

Remember the very first game of Emery against City at the Emirates? When Cech passed the ball right along the goal line out for a corner? Have we really improved from that, 16 months later?

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
This GK doesn't fill me with confidence. He might be a good shot stopper but he still doesn't command his box well enough. He should be ordering the CB's around and getting us set from the back. The Sokratis error wasn't his fault but the box is his kingdom. We should have set up higher up the pitch. Even Cech used to throw it out to the wings to try and play from the back. Why not use his feet to play to a pushed up full back? He gets deserved praise atm, but he doesn't have that aura of a top class GK. He's not a problem atm, but we shouldn't assume GK is sorted for the next few years with him as number 1.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

Been seeing this for a a long long time, too. This is not how you do playing out from the back, it's a horrible. When you try to pass it out from the back and the only team moving is the opposition something's very wrong - like before the second Watford goal.

Pepes blue pill

Don't understand how we are meant to play it out from the back but when he gets the ball in play and there is a chance for a quick counter he is slow to release it. Right now thats the only playing from the back I wanna see

Balboa

Exactly, they're doing it because that's what they've been told to do. Leno has been good at all the things a GK should be required to do. Playing tiki taka with the CBs isn't one of them.

Nobody is asking him to play tiki taka. The request is for him to not dump his CBs in ****ty situations. If people say Sokratis should have hoofed that ball, then it was clearly easier for Leno to hoof it, he wasn't under pressure.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Can't believe some of the stuff being said about Leno, he looks by far the best GK we have had for years and a bargain at the price we paid.

Definitely not a position we need to be worrying about.

As for the **** up yesterday, he has clearly been told to play from the back, exactly like Cech was and we have looked **** at it since this fad became a thing.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Nobody is asking him to play tiki taka. The request is for him to not dump his CBs in ****ty situations. If people say Sokratis should have hoofed that ball, then it was clearly easier for Leno to hoof it, he wasn't under pressure.

He's been told to pass to either CB by the looks of things, his options are pretty limited. Sokratis didnt 'need' to hoof it he just cant pass that well, he could have went to Xhaka, he just isnt comfortable with the ball at his feet, I wouldnt even say he was under that much pressure.

Malky

Established Member
Leno's a problem now? **** off with this bullshit. Look at what's infront of him - the guy has an average midfielder playing at RB, a LWB trying to play as a LB and the Chuckle Brothers at CB. We could sign Oblak and we'd be conceding ridiculous goals!

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Leno needs to tell his manager to **** off with his instructions. He has a brain himself. Even Cech used to go long to Kolasinac when they were stuck under pressure.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I'm not blaming Sokratis 100%. If anything this whole thing could have been avoided if Emery could either coach the damn team to be actually good at playing out from the back OR give clear instructions to not risk it if you're not sure about it.
So you think Emery told Sokratis that even if there's a 50/50 chance of threading it through to a player from your 6 yard line, go for it? This makes zero sense. Of course he didn't tell him to attempt a risky pass, or even to make a **** pass when the pass was on. You think he'd have been asked to defend his actions had he hoofed that ball forward with no clear option on? Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom