• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: Chosen One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Arteta could and should have made it clear to Martinez that whilst he had to compete with Leno for the position he would start the season under the sticks on the basis of how well he was playing.

Not to do this was to guarantee Martinez would leave as soon as he could, because he must have heard this same mantra for 10 years only for it to translate into a handful of games. This would have been the logical thing to do before Martinez took over and started performing but after that it could only lead to his exit.

The most that can be said is that Arteta was clear that Leno was his preferred option, but he preferred to shift the blame onto the player in case he gets it wrong. We will know more by the end of this season when Martinez has had the opportunity to ply his trade regularly for a whole year.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Sigh...I forgot you was a weirdo.

Here, there you go - from the horses mouth. Actual quotes, no guess work or agenda I didn't make up what I said.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/arteta-west-ham-willian-signings-transcript

As I rightfully said, Arteta ideally wanted them both to compete, Emi walked away, and we got a fair bit of money from the situation. Deal with it.

Try to engage your brain and not be all in your feelings when discussing players on a forum.

It's weird we are accused of talking from feelings about Leno, when I bet we all loved Martinez.

People gossiping on what might have happened, when we have Arteta's & Martinez' clear statements that the club tried to keep him, offered a new contract, and Arteta saying he can't promise starting spots to anyone when asked about Martinez.

To me it looks much more like people can't let go of Martinez and accept his own decision. All the proof points there, but no, let's keep the gossip going on & on.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
For the club to sell Martinez was more an indicator of Martinez's ambition, than the club trying to reassure an presumably insecure Leno.

None of that in my opinion. I think the situation is straightforward, Martinez wanted the number one spot or guarantees to that effect and Arteta couldnt give those guarantees. Martinez then decided to go and be the number one elsewhere and was sold.

Ideally, Arsenal would have kept Martinez and had them fight out for the number one spot. Why Arteta couldnt communicate that and get that commitment from the player is what I would ask.

Bro, you literally made this up from thin air. Leno was injured and until his injury he WAS the undisputed no1.

You go on to say that Martinez wanted reassurance for the number 1 spot but Leno is the insecure one? Arteta when talking about Martinez departure made it clear that he spoke to both of them about the position.

Leno was number 1, even with Martinez fit. He didn't even displace Leno, he took advantage of Leno being out. It wasn't like Leno was performing poorly and Martinez grabbed that chance...

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Sigh...I forgot you was a weirdo.

Here, there you go - from the horses mouth. Actual quotes, no guess work or agenda I didn't make up what I said.

As I rightfully said, Arteta ideally wanted them both to compete, Emi walked away, and we got a fair bit of money from the situation. Deal with it.

Try to engage your brain and not be all in your feelings when discussing players on a forum.
He’s not going into enough detail there tbf. I want to read that Emi demanded he was made first choice before I can say the right things were said to him and it was all fair game. The club were open to selling him and held the door open for the cash grab on this occasion imo.

If it wasn’t that way, then fair ****s, but I need convincing.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Arteta could and should have made it clear to Martinez that whilst he had to compete with Leno for the position he would start the season under the sticks on the basis of how well he was playing.

Not to do this was to guarantee Martinez would leave as soon as he could, because he must have heard this same mantra for 10 years only for it to translate into a handful of games. This would have been the logical thing to do before Martinez took over and started performing but after that it could only lead to his exit.

The most that can be said is that Arteta was clear that Leno was his preferred option, but he preferred to shift the blame onto the player in case he gets it wrong. We will know more by the end of this season when Martinez has had the opportunity to ply his trade regularly for a whole year.

on what convinced him that Bernd was the long-term option...
I was very clear with both of them that it wasn't a #1 and a #2 and that they had to compete for the place like any other position in the team. To be fair, Bernd was superb before he got injured at Brighton and Emi was absolutely excellent with all of the games that he played and how much he helped us as well with winning the trophies. But at the end of the day, that created a big competition, some big expectations from both of them and we had to deal with that. We were really open, trying to have those discussions and at the end, Emi had a really good offer, really well-suited to what he wants to achieve long-term and short-term and we allowed him to leave the club.

drippin

He’s not going into enough detail there tbf. I want to read that Emi demanded he was made first choice before I can say the right things were said to him and it was all fair game. The club were open to selling him and held the door open for the cash grab on this occasion imo.

Ffs. Arteta was asked about Martinez and he said this:

How much clearer can it be? Martinez demanded promises of game time, he was signaling it to the press too, no?

"This is what Arteta said:
on the future of Mesut Özil and Emi Martinez…
We have some really good players in many different positions. Some of them are complicated and obviously, clubs come to us and they are interested in our players. It is very difficult to promise players game time or to be the first choice. It is part of this period in the market. We try to manage the situation as well as we can, all the time counting on what the players' expectations are, what we can achieve with them as a club and we are making decisions towards that."

https://www.arsenal.com/news/arteta-Özil-martinez-guendouzi-and-lacazette

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Based on Martinez's final weeks with us he was superior than Leno overall. Better in the air, better at distribution, better at communication with the defense, more composed and matched Leno's agility in front of goal.

This is not some fanboy club nonsense, and all the excuses that come with that (no crowds, temporary patch, etc). Martinez's performances spoke for themselves and they were excellent.

He was competing with an injured player, its pretty easy to look good when comparing yourself to thin air.

They are not excuses, those are actual valid points. There being crowds behind the GK actually adds a lot of pressure to their performance. Him having a purple patch is exactly what you described in your previous post. The guy has been here for almost a decade and he has a few good months and he is apparently GOAT?

Macho

Dusted 🔻

He’s not going into enough detail there tbf. I want to read that Emi demanded he was made first choice before I can say the right things were said to him and it was all fair game.
He goes into more than enough detail, that is crystal clear and this isn't the only instance of Arteta saying this but I couldn't be bothered to find them all.

Why would Arteta lie? These are actual quotes Martinez confirms this as well just google his interviews.

Why would Martinez battle it out with a proven keeper after waiting 11 years and there is an offer from another prem club?

I know you guys are fond of Emi but there's nowhere to hide from this one tbh.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Arteta’s right in acknowledging that Leno was good up until he got injured, I’m just not sure how that’s relevant in the explanation... It’s history. Little bit suss tbh.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Arteta’s right in acknowledging that Leno was good up until he got injured, I’m just not sure how that’s relevant in the explanation... It’s history. Little bit suss tbh.
Because Martinez played during the time Leno was injured... Im not sure what more you actually want? Was he actually competing with Leno week in week out? NO.

When Leno was fit, who was number 1?

I'm going to copy-paste Arteta's comments every time this nonsense is brought up again.

Gossip girl forum.
Thank you!

Martinez asked to continue playing, which is in his absolute right given how much better than Leno he was.

:facepalm:

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Ffs. Arteta was asked about Martinez and he said this:

How much clearer can it be? Martinez demanded promises of game time, he was signaling it to the press too, no?
This is funny :lol:
There are actual proof, quotes, confirmation from both sides and Emi fans just refused to acknowledge.

Its gonna be a long season. Arsenal Mania will pine over Emi at every opportunity win or lose.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I am not sure why this is constantly turned into a Leno v Martinez issue. For me it is clear it is an issue of principle: the best performing players should start games wherever possible. There shouldn't be a pecking-order of seniority which ignores this. If, say, Nketiah starts a game ahead of Laca or Auba and scores three hat-tricks in succession, he shouldn't be benched.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member

And Flat Earthers want to go to space to have proof that the earth isn't flat :rolleyes:

drippin

You guys are questioning Arteta's decision making big time, the guy who knows all the details.

His statements about this matter are crystal clear. Even Martinez has confimed things in his farewell interview.

There are no doubts about how it went, all this gossip is hurting the club. Focusing on wrong matters and blaiming people who don't deserve it.

All because people loved Martinez and can't accept his own decision.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Bro, you literally made this up from thin air. Leno was injured and until his injury he WAS the undisputed no1.

You go on to say that Martinez wanted reassurance for the number 1 spot but Leno is the insecure one? Arteta when talking about Martinez departure made it clear that he spoke to both of them about the position.

Leno was number 1, even with Martinez fit. He didn't even displace Leno, he took advantage of Leno being out. It wasn't like Leno was performing poorly and Martinez grabbed that chance...

My very next paragraph begins with... "None of that in my opinion". To be clear, that statement is not me guessing, its me reacting to the sentiment both on Arsenal Mania and out there on social media. I dont agree with that thinking and I state my reasons why.

My thoughts are also based on speculation yes, but I back up my thoughts by what I see before me. Better performances, a national call up and a number one jersey at a fellow PL club and a tremendous (I still think low) fee paid. These are tangible points I use to draw my conclusions.

The comment you make about Leno not being displaced doesnt hold water IMO. I, and others here, arent saying Leno was poor, hardly, we are saying that Martinez was better, there is a difference. We cant sit here and say that because Martinez didnt displace Leno, it immediately means Martinez is ****. No, it is possible for Leno to be good, but Martinez is actually better... and we only get to see that when Leno is forced from his position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom