<

Bernd Leno: Chosen One

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Marjorie, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Artisan

Artisan Not Emery's Old Pal

Why am I not surprised the guy who made that is a Laca fanboy?

2. tap-in

tap-in Nothing Wrong With Me

As I said, Leno as our keeper isn't a huge problem :) I just prefer Martinez.

3. NieThePiet

NieThePiet Loves Overhyping Our Rivals

Perfect for him, to start with a clean sheet :)

CaseUteinberger and Riou like this.
  4. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Vinai Venkatesham Stan Trusted

Someone told we don't play out the back as well with Leno?

It's the exact same ffs.

drippin, UpTheGunnerz, Riou and 2 others like this.
  5. Garrincha

Garrincha Wilf Zaha Aficionado Trusted

American_Gooner likes this.
  6. say yes

say yes Thread Title Abuser

Martinez is better on the ball tbf.

Leno still very good though. Won’t make much difference.

celestis likes this.
  7. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

Post it anyway :lol:

Iceman10 and Garrincha like this.
  8. Garrincha

Garrincha Wilf Zaha Aficionado Trusted

[​IMG]

9. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Established Member

He didn't have much to do and looked ok in his first post injury game. I saw him talking to his defenders a little bit hit im still struggling to shake my doubts about him being a commanding GK. His playing out from the back looks better in that he sorts his feet out quicker and executes quicker. I still find Martinez smoother on speed and delivery choice but I trust the coaches and practice to improve him

SA Gunner and Manberg like this.
  10. DasBootist

DasBootist Well-Known Member

Leno played under Emery for the majority of his Arsenal career and that has clouded people's judgment. The club have made the right call in selling Martinez and not Leno.

drippin and OnlyOne like this.
  11. sdotzdot

sdotzdot Well-Known Member

Leno has proven his worth already. He’s been one of the consistent glimmers of hope through the worst era of Arsenal I’ve ever witnessed.

Martinez is fantastic, and his form post Leno injury was absolutely unbelievable. But he’s always had some terrible mistakes in the past (albeit few) chances he’s had. You don’t displace one of your consistent starters and sell him over someone who had 3 months of great form.

That form alone just bagged us £20m, absolutely fantastic business and I love Emi but would be ridiculous not to take that.

Wish him the best of luck and I’ll really miss him as I’m a huge fan but this is the best conclusion for everyone involved. Leno has proven to be worthy of being our GK for the long term and regardless of the sale I think Leno would have come back in eventually anyway.

drippin, SA Gunner, Moleque and 3 others like this.
  12. CaseUteinberger

CaseUteinberger Cazorla (not Carzola ffs)

Over the last couple of months Emi has been great, but it is like you say. We have seen Leno perform well over quite some time and with an absolute **** defence in front of him for most of the time. If we need to sell then Emi is probably the best option.

sdotzdot likes this.
  13. nick gould

nick gould Well-Known Member

it's ever so sad to see martinez leave. I loved both goalkeepers equally. Big up to this guy today, 100% pass completion. We brought in him for his ability to play from the back. People for some reason we beginning to say he is not good at that. People forget we had no structure for a season and half.

14. Macho

Macho Well-Known Member Trusted

My #1 you love to see it man.

Oxeki likes this.
  15. Gooner416

Gooner416 Well-Known Member

I honestly rate Leno, just think Martinez is the superior modern keeper suited to Arteta ball. I desperately want him to be more commanding and vocal in his area. He's an elite shot stopper. If he improves on that and dealing with crosses, I'm very happy.

celestis, Mrs Bergkamp and Iceman10 like this.
  16. GeorgiaGunner

GeorgiaGunner Closet United Fan

That song my lord

17. Iceman10

Iceman10 Well-Known Member

Main concern has been crosses, as well as odd errors that just so happen to stick in my mind but may be no worse in frequency/number compared with top GK’s. On crosses I’ve mentioned some parallels with Lloris during earlier days in the PL before becoming more solid, and I hope this ends up similar.

Over the Emi battle, it is done with and I wish Emi the best. When a manager is in a period of goodwill he gets to make the tough decisions with space afforded to him.

18. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

His save in the first few minutes after the Gabriel error was massive imo, with Emi leaving the knives would have been out if he gave away a pen immediately...imagine a few on here were disappointed he did save it, shame.

It's gonna be a top season for Leno this year lads!

drippin, Oxeki and OnlyOne like this.
  19. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Vinai Venkatesham Stan Trusted

They score there and it's likely the game changes, Gabriel loses all confidence and we struggle. Top save in fact but I'm used to seeing him makes those.

20. Oxeki

Oxeki New Threads, Old Tweets

They're not going to go away. They're waiting in the shadows. They're waiting for the first slip from and him, then they'll pounce.

Hleb's Sirush and Riou like this.