• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: Chosen One

Status
Not open for further replies.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Doubt there would be any difference in our league position/performances, if we swapped Leno and Martinez...both are the same level really.

Our issues in the first half of the season were attack and midfield, not goalkeeper

So I agree with the first statement before the ellipses, I hand on heart don't believe that we'd have many (or even any) more points with Martinez rather than Leno in goal.

Added to that I think Leno is a great keeper, I honestly do and even stellar; he is really good.

However from Martinez's form at the end of last season and his form with Villa this season, he looks to be the better keeper. If Leno is stellar you could argue that Martinez has been world class given his recent form.

Basically whichever category Leno is in I'd say that Martinez has been better than that and is in the category above.

Again though and to make it clear this is only going by recent form and this may or may not fizzle out in a few seasons, though at this point I suppose there's no reason to assume he won't stay at this level but nobody knows for certain (and don't pretend you do).

Am I mad that Martinez went to Villa? It stings a little but because Leno is so good I'm honestly not that mad.

However if (and only if) it is true that Arteta promised Leno the #1 spot despite Martinez coming in and killing it, and if it is also true that he didn't promise Martinez atleast the cup games then that was a goddamn moronic decision, no hindsight needed.

If we had the chance to keep them both we should've used this season to see which is better and we should've gone into the season with Martinez as #1 till he made a mistake.

That said thankfully Leno is good so even if the scenario above happened thankfully I don't think it's really damaged us.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
I'm not an Arteta hater but I think it was an odd decision if true. I remember in summer that there seemed to be a desire to sell off any saleable asset to raise money to improve the squad. The problem is that we are left with lesser players who will see too much game time. We've kept what appears to be the lesser GK and that may be reflected not only in results and goals conceded but in our confidence in playing out from the back. Leno said on camera that he was told he would be the number 1 but Martinez appeared to be the better fit for what we are trying to do. So we have a ? mark at GK, the Saliba/Luiz choice, the Xhaka/anyone else, Willian/Pepe and Nelson and Laca/Martinelli. Five areas where arguably a less suitable player has got extensive minutes because its easier to sell or sideline those who maybe should start. Taking the easy option the way we have is costly on and off pitch. Sorry for the slight tangent by including other players but there's a bad habit at the club that's not being addressed.
I'd forgotten about the Leno being promised bit actually. Despite him saying that I'm still not convinced Arteta had even decided who his first choice going into this season. That's jus my opinion anyway. Obviously it wasn't very likely either would be willing to sit on the bench and Martinez was the easier sell due to him being on cheaper wages.

As regards to the other players you mention I think it's pretty clear by now that unless you are a young player as consistent as someone like Saka and to a lesser extent ESR, that Arteta will always favour the more experienced options in the squad which doesn't really make sense considering he's basically being trusted to oversee a major rebuild. I say doesn't make sense as it's pretty clear in the league that the board don't think we are in "win now mode" this season so to me it would have been the perfect opportunity to see which of the younger players are suitable for being part of the squad going forward or who is ready to be moved on.

Iceman10

Established Member
So I agree with the first statement before the ellipses, I hand on heart don't believe that we'd have many (or even any) more points with Martinez rather than Leno in goal.

Added to that I think Leno is a great keeper, I honestly do and even stellar; he is really good.

However from Martinez's form at the end of last season and his form with Villa this season, he looks to be the better keeper. If Leno is stellar you could argue that Martinez has been world class given his recent form.

Basically whichever category Leno is in I'd say that Martinez has been better than that and is in the category above.

Again though and to make it clear this is only going by recent form and this may or may not fizzle out in a few seasons, though at this point I suppose there's no reason to assume he won't stay at this level but nobody knows for certain (and don't pretend you do).

Am I mad that Martinez went to Villa? It stings a little but because Leno is so good I'm honestly not that mad.

However if (and only if) it is true that Arteta promised Leno the #1 spot despite Martinez coming in and killing it, and if it is also true that he didn't promise Martinez atleast the cup games then that was a goddamn moronic decision, no hindsight needed.

If we had the chance to keep them both we should've used this season to see which is better and we should've gone into the season with Martinez as #1 till he made a mistake.

That said thankfully Leno is good so even if the scenario above happened thankfully I don't think it's really damaged us.

I think Leno is a dependable goalkeeper in the same way we would have seen with Seaman and Lehman, but the GK position has changed with this playing out from the back. My concern is the more Leno becomes conscious of a pattern of hiccups occurring the worse it could end up for him for a while as he over-thinks things with split second decisions. In totality I haven’t forgotten that we almost went 2-0 down at Leicester due to another clumsy moment, but at least Arteta is publicly acknowledging now that we’ve actually been a little bit lucky with quite a few errors actually going unpunished.

Regarding Emi vs. Leno, it is done, but I did have similar thoughts for having a battle between the two this season, not least because if Emi truly is world class he would be worth a lot more than 20m.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I'd forgotten about the Leno being promised bit actually. Despite him saying that I'm still not convinced Arteta had even decided who his first choice going into this season. That's jus my opinion anyway. Obviously it wasn't very likely either would be willing to sit on the bench and Martinez was the easier sell due to him being on cheaper wages.

As regards to the other players you mention I think it's pretty clear by now that unless you are a young player as consistent as someone like Saka and to a lesser extent ESR, that Arteta will always favour the more experienced options in the squad which doesn't really make sense considering he's basically being trusted to oversee a major rebuild. I say doesn't make sense as it's pretty clear in the league that the board don't think we are in "win now mode" this season so to me it would have been the perfect opportunity to see which of the younger players are suitable for being part of the squad going forward or who is ready to be moved on.

I agree completely with your second paragraph. People do try to give reasons for individual scenarios but to me on the whole it's quite obvious that outside a select group of youngsters he'd rather go for the more experienced player than the younger one even if the older player has no upside and is mediocre.

Weliveinacrazyworld

A very, very well known member
Love Leno, but that was a poor match from him. He should’ve saved the Lamela goal and the Kane free kick. Thankfully we had Gabriel, otherwise this match would’ve finished 2-2.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
Don't think he had a chance for the goal. So many players blocking his view as well
But that free kick was on him. We may need to upgrade on him eventually but not an immediate concern.

ThePortugueseGunner

If that Kane free-kick had gone in, it would be all on Leno. He sets up the wall on one side, and then runs there when Kane is running towards the ball? I'm no goalkeeper, but the keeper has to defend the wall-less side of the goal.

Got scared there. Don't scare me like that, Bernd.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
A bit flappy in the last 15 minutes. I did laugh when they showed him on the deck rolling about as Gabriel cleared with his head. His face was a classic. I still think we should look at Donnarumma who is free.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
A bit flappy in the last 15 minutes. I did laugh when they showed him on the deck rolling about as Gabriel cleared with his head. His face was a classic. I still think we should look at Donnarumma who is free.
Leno and Matt Ryan are decent option to have Donnarumma is no better he error prone at times too also not to mention his agent is Raiola

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

He was okay today. Been a top 3 keeper in the PL this season for me. Especially loved him shouting at Luiz when he backed up and let him clear that hanging cross. I’ve always thought he was too shy and timid in the area. He should trust his wall a little more on FK’s though, got it all wrong on that one that Kane hit the post.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Been concerned about his performances even since the Wolves game. Haven't checked the stats but he seems to be conceding from very few shots on target. A lot of strikes he's making them look good by failing to get anywhere near the ball. Lingard's strike wasn't really in the corner but he failed to almost outstretch his arms. 2nd goal a clear error. Goal he conceded against Olympiakos went underneath his arm. Freekick against Benfica he was miles off. Was involved in the Burnely goal as well. Think he's getting used to the lack of competition for his spot once again.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He's made less error than guys like DDG and Allison but A-M still kills him.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

He's made less error than guys like DDG and Allison but A-M still kills him.

De Gea's been absolute dross for three years now. Alisson has been very very poor this season too.

Leno has been absolutely shocking recently and he's becoming a serious liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom