• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: Talk of the Show

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I think Emery's style of play is beginning to click now and especially between the last two matches we can see why Bernd Leno probably nudges it's for the starting spot.

It's encouraging..... very encouraging and I like that we have a plan to the way we build up play as opposed the freedom players had in Wenger's regime.

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
I love that we finally have a keeper who can play with the ball at his feet, I have feeling he will become our Neuer!

Why is Mustafi talking so much? Nobody cares about his opinion until he starts showing that he is not the most stupid footballer in the division. Surely there are some better and more intelligent footballers in our team that can be interviewed.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Why is Mustafi talking so much? Nobody cares about his opinion until he starts showing that he is not the most stupid footballer in the division. Surely there are some better and more intelligent footballers in our team that can be interviewed.

lol it's one thing to be talking after having a great season and proving people wrong, but the way he's talking now he better back it up on the pitch.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Does anyone else feel Leno is under a bit more pressure than he should be? All the new GK's have a win under their belt and he's not played a minute. We need to beat West Ham and to me it feels like a risk to play the new guy in an already crucial match :eek:.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Does anyone else feel Leno is under a bit more pressure than he should be? All the new GK's have a win under their belt and he's not played a minute. We need to beat West Ham and to me it feels like a risk to play the new guy in an already crucial match :eek:.

Is he playing vs West Ham? I haven't read anything but I hope so! tbh I hope all highly paid players feel some pressure, if they fail to cope with it they shouldn't be a professional football player. I'm sure he's played many times under pressure, it goes with the job. When he plays I'm confident he'll be ready to prove his worth.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Highly doubt he'll play. If Cech doesn't make a terrible blunder I expect his debut at the cup after the intl. break.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I wanted Cech's experience and lack of potential nerves in the first two games with Leno being eased into it vs West Ham.

However we have no points and I dont want any **** ups, no matter how low in chance they may be (remember when a certain someone cost us a game vs the hammers on his debut? yeh not again please). Cech albeit his dodgy season last year and his still terrible footwork has been shot stopping very well and I think he needs to play this one

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Is he playing vs West Ham? I haven't read anything but I hope so! tbh I hope all highly paid players feel some pressure, if they fail to cope with it they shouldn't be a professional football player. I'm sure he's played many times under pressure, it goes with the job. When he plays I'm confident he'll be ready to prove his worth.
I'm not sure if he starts vs WH. I hope he's up to the job. I just worry that the wait will be unhelpful.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I'm not sure if he starts vs WH. I hope he's up to the job. I just worry that the wait will be unhelpful.

Hopefully he was told when he signed that Cech is current No1, I don't think he'll be feeling any additional pressure. He may have to wait for the EL game, he may even know that already. I do think he'll be No1 by the end of the season, I rate him!

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Hopefully he was told when he signed that Cech is current No1, I don't think he'll be feeling any additional pressure. He may have to wait for the EL game, he may even know that already. I do think he'll be No1 by the end of the season, I rate him!
Right now its okay playing Cech in my eyes, to ensure stability in a rough patch points wise. But at the end of the day we signed a keeper for good money, and he has potential to be a servant here for 5-10 years. Even if Cech is playing quite well, Leno needs to be given a sustained chance in the first team this season in the BPL, unless Cech is playing like the best keeper in the league (he willl inevitibly have a clanger at some stage however)

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Right now its okay playing Cech in my eyes, to ensure stability in a rough patch points wise. But at the end of the day we signed a keeper for good money, and he has potential to be a servant here for 5-10 years. Even if Cech is playing quite well, Leno needs to be given a sustained chance in the first team this season in the BPL, unless Cech is playing like the best keeper in the league (he willl inevitibly have a clanger at some stage however)

As I said, I think he'll be No1 by the end of the season!

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Maybe Emery said it more because he has to as a manager, but he said he will back Cech as number 1 if he continues to perform, lets see what happens anyway

I think Cech has done enough so far to stay there but it wont continue for the season. He's still had errors but some good saves have covered them up a bit. Leno is a good keeper, I've no doubt he'll succeed here!

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Guess we will see him in the Europa & FA Cup so guaranteed a decent number of games from late September until early January.

Hope Martinez gets the other domestic cup. Maybe he even beats out Leno if the training rumors are true... Emery seems a bit ruthless & performance based.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
If we didn't plan on starting Leno in the short term and just have him as competition for Cech and eventually take No.1, we could have gone for Lafont. Cheaper than Leno, highly rated as well and possibly future France No.1. Went to Florence for 7M euros.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Leno will get minutes. I don't think there is much to be worried about.

At PSG, Emery faced a similar situation. Kevin Trapp was brought in the year before Emery arrived, and Trapp had just won the starting job against Salvatore Sirigu, who was a regular in the Italian national team.

During Emery's first season Trapp went into the season as #1, and PSG had just brought back Alphonse Areola from a successful loan. Everyone knew that Alphonse would challenge Trapp, but Trapp was still #1.

Trapp started the season as #1, but Emery switched GKs a lot during that season, and for a while it was hard to predict who would start each match.

Eventually, Alphonse won the battle, and was Emery's #1 for his second season.

I doubt Leno will start against West Ham, but when Emery has two quality GKs he likes to mix it up. Leno will get minutes. By the second half of the season we should know who our true #1 is based on how both of them have performed during the first half of the season.

Alkane

Don't mind Cech being first choice for now, he's been performing pretty well. Our defence is still bit of a mess, would rather give Sokratis Torreira and even Lichsteiner time to bed in a little before introducing yet another fresh face. Ease Leno in with some cup matches.

Top Bottom