• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: Talk of the Show

arsmile

Established Member
he wasn't good today- but it's not as if we deserved anything out of that game regardless of his performance

LG10

Saw the goal again, if he doesn’t come out then Austin easily scores. One more glaring mistake and he should be benched however.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Almuniaesque from him for the third goal. Not the first time he looked suspect in crosses.

Still, the save earlier on is not one I think Cech would've saved, though Petr would've done better for the third goal.

Still, positive signs overall.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Leno has looked suspect on crosses all season. I can't remember the last time he came out and cleared the ball convincingly or even got to it. Hopefully the media spotlight will be on Utd and Liverpool but we know what Burnley will do after this.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I'm not sure if he's afraid of contact or what it is but he looks petrified whenever the ball is crossed. Not a recipe for success in England. Of course I'm not writing him off but he's got to get stronger mentally and physically if he's going to be able to better contend with the style of play in England. I don't care how good of a shot stopper you are or how good you are with your feet. If your team does not have confidence in you being able to command your box and you don't have confidence commanding your boss then disaster isn't far away. They need to really try to simulate game level aggression in the box in training so he doesn't panic when it counts.

Manberg

Predator
I think he made the wrong decision coming out. It's one of those things where split decisions and calculations are made in the head in mere seconds.
I heard he went to have a chat about it after the final whistle with Austin. He shouldn't be doing that.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt again but I'm still undecided regarding whether Leno is the right goalkeeper to take us forwards.

Wryer

I think it was the right thing to try come for the cross. Kos was not secure the entire game on high balls so Leno knew he was vulnerable. It was also a floater which meant it should have been fairly comfortable.

The problem was, before the cross was made Leno actually tried to charge out of his area and had to back track, which made him lost some bearings. That split second/metre was all that mattered.

Wryer

And, pity. That save on the line should have been the one that held on to a point. Brilliant save.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I don't blame him for our loss. Being a goalkeeper can be very unforgiving and he's generally done well. Southampton put in some fantastic crosses and I reckon he was going to lose out whether he went to claim them or not.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Ball in the air & parrying back into danger seemed to be the two areas of concern mentioned pre signing.

Hard to hold it against him as club would have known. Hopefully he is not targeted more by the lower teams after today.

Brett

He is similar to flappy. Good reflexes but flaps at crosses.
I don't care how talented he is if he keeps making mistakes we should look for alternatives.

I think it was the right thing to try come for the cross. Kos was not secure the entire game on high balls so Leno knew he was vulnerable. It was also a floater which meant it should have been fairly comfortable.

The problem was, before the cross was made Leno actually tried to charge out of his area and had to back track, which made him lost some bearings. That split second/metre was all that mattered.
Talked about this in the Soton thread so just alil replication.
Ah I don't think Leno was to blame for any of the goals! Both were close range free headers!
He had just conceded two goals earlier that weren't dissimilar to each other because his defenders (Kos) had failed to mark the player on the receiving end of the cross! He saw the exact same scenario before the third goal and decided to help himself since no one would! I bet if he had opted to stick his line the same thing would have happened considering how the first two were scored.

HBL

Established Member
He is a very good keeper, I'm not worried about him. His weakness on crosses can be improved, De Gea didn't settle in this league immediately. I've been very impressed with shot stopping ability of Leno and his ability on the ball, the save yesterday for the goal that was disallowed was phenomenal.

All of the top keepers in the league have made mistakes this season, it's just the life of a keeper, mistakes are inevitable; unless your name is Jan Oblak.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I think he's right with attempting to get the ball because Austin would have probably scored anyways. It's just always looks bad when a goalkeeper comes out and fails to get the ball.

I see the "no risk, no fun" comment has irked people on twitter, though I do feel like there might be a slight mistranslation with it, it's just what a modern goalkeeper is, they take risks. To be a modern keeper you can't just stay on your line and wait for things to happen you have to help out your defence by making decisions.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Kos was not secure the entire game on high balls so Leno knew he was vulnerable.
Think that after the two first goals Leno simply had to come out. Not defending him as I think he needs to improve on crosses in general, but given how poorly Kos played the crosses I think he just felt he had to do it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom