• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: Talk of the Show

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Who would you put above him other than Allison, de Gea, Ederson?
Based on last season only, possibly Fabianski, Lloris, Rui Patricio and maybe Pickford. He still has a little way to go to have that aura about him. No doubt, a decent defence will help.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Turned out to be a bargain and has earnt the trust of the majority of Arsenal fans. Leno in my opinion was amongst the top 5 peforming keepers last season (the others being Allison, Ederson, Pickford and Fabianski).

I like Leno and think he can be pretty good, but I wouldn't rank him in the top 5.

It's funny, Cech was crucified in 2017-18 for having 6 errors leading to goals in 34 games. Leno had 5 in 32 games this season and nobody seemed to notice much because everyone was still too busy slagging off Cech. Leno is good playing the ball, but he still has some work to do in the box.

I'd take Ederson, De Gea (even though he had a crap year), Alisson, Lloris, Schmeichel, Pickford and our old friend Fabianski before Leno.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He's got a way to go before being regarded as a top,top GK. He doesn't command the box that well, is shaky on crosses and makes individual errors as @Slartibartfast said. He's done ok but for me, doesn't have that aura that will sow doubt in the mind of an attacker. I hope he improves next season.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Disagree. He has this aloof confidence. He's in control. Just needs to improve aerial command and passing range.

Leno is a fine shot stopper and does well playing with his feet, but he won't be a top keeper until he vastly improves his ability to deal with crosses in the box. He was a good value acquisition considering what Chelsea paid for Kepa, but he needs some work to be among the Premier League elite.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I like Leno and think he can be pretty good, but I wouldn't rank him in the top 5.

It's funny, Cech was crucified in 2017-18 for having 6 errors leading to goals in 34 games. Leno had 5 in 32 games this season and nobody seemed to notice much because everyone was still too busy slagging off Cech. Leno is good playing the ball, but he still has some work to do in the box.

I'd take Ederson, De Gea (even though he had a crap year), Alisson, Lloris, Schmeichel, Pickford and our old friend Fabianski before Leno.
Do you know what those errors are? I don't think the Liverpool incident was his fault for example when the error count may be considering it to be.

Pickford struggled at some points last season I heard. Leno also has more to his game than the likes of him and Lloris as a better fit of the modern keeper archetype.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The only clear mistake I can remember from Leno was in the Southampton away game.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

The only clear mistake I can remember from Leno was in the Southampton away game.

I remember him getting hammered for the one vs Liverpool at home even though it turned out it wasn't his fault.

Also Sp**s at home he did make a mistake with the Dier goal.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I just ran across this piece that Andrew Dowdeswell of Pain in the Arsenal did after the game against Wolves. While generally praising Leno's performance over the season, he pointed out mistakes and inconsistency. It's pretty much what I saw as well. Here's a bit:

The German had a propensity to commit stupid mistakes at a painful frequency. Spills from corners and crosses, bemusing decision-making to sweep off his line and try to clear the ball, moments of madness that are difficult to explain with rash reasoning and unhinged play, all of which proceeds to undermine the confidence the defence has in your abilities. Leno was not a bad goalkeeper. He was an inconsistent one.

On Wednesday night, he once again showed this inconsistency. Arsenal travelled to Wolves needing a win to take hold of a possible top-four finish. By halftime, they were three goals down, two of which could be apportioned to Leno mistakes.

The first, Wolves’ second, was a haring error, rushing off his line to try and collect an inswinging cross that he should never have even tried to clear. His starfish jump, after the ball had been headed past him, was a clear indication of the panic as he realised his error. Then, to compound the mistake, he failed to palm clear Diogo Jota’s low, driven shot just before the break. He got his hand to the shot, but it was too weak to prevent the ball from squirming in.

It is not the time to worry just yet. One poor game does not make a poor goalkeeper. David de Gea, the best goalkeeper in the world for half a decade, is struggling for form at present. But these kinds of instances, especially the mental error for Wolves’ second goal, are what his critics warned of.

This is the Bernd Leno problem. It is not enough to demand Arsenal replace him just yet, but it is worthwhile surveying over the coming months.

https://paininthearsenal.com/2019/04/25/arsenal-vs-wolves-bernd-leno-problem/

Leno can become a top goalkeeper, but he's not there yet. I'd rate him in the top half of Premier League starting goalkeepers, but not in the top 5 right now.

FluffyDoozi

Schmeichel has been piss poor for more than a year now. Many Leicester fans were calling for him to be moved on. Of those names I'd say De Gea, Alisson and Lloris are better although it helps that they play behind very good defences and for teams with good defensive structure.

Fabianski is ideal for a low level team because he's an exceptional shot stopper but a bit meh in other aspects.
Leno will improve even more next year. He needed this move because he had stagnated just like Ter Stegen.

Hopefully we buy tall centerbacks this transfer window, sick of all these non dominant 6 foot defenders we have. Would go a long way helping him and the team aerially.

Leno with Martinez and Okwonkwo as backups means we are set in goal for for the foreseeable future.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Do you know what those errors are? I don't think the Liverpool incident was his fault for example when the error count may be considering it to be.

Just like with statistics, don't believe data if you haven't rigged it yourself. One webpage/analyst will define their "error leading to goal" as something very different to another. Think this is best highlighted with shots on goal stats as they're so commonly used: You watch a match with 5 friends, you all use different footie/sports apps; chances are good you'll have 6 different values of Shots on Goal at the end of the game including the broadcaster's one.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Turned out to be a bargain and has earnt the trust of the majority of Arsenal fans. Leno in my opinion was amongst the top 5 peforming keepers last season (the others being Allison, Ederson, Pickford and Fabianski).
Agree with what you're saying but Pickford had a trash season for what is expected of him.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom