<

Best Player of the Emirates Era

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by American_Gooner, Apr 26, 2019.

?

Who do you consider to be the best player post Highbury?

1. Cesc Fabregas

53.1%
  2. Robin Van Persie

21.0%
  3. Mesut Özil

6.2%
  4. Alexis Sanchez

9.9%
  5. Santi Cazorla

6.8%
  6. Other

3.1%
  1. MikelHadADream

MikelHadADream Well-Known Member

He was great till February then tailed off (as did the whole team) in 08. I loved Cesc but looking back at it, I cant say he was ever better than Gerrard or Lampard in the PL, let alone Xavi/Iniesta between 2006-2011.

2. MikelHadADream

MikelHadADream Well-Known Member

Not sure I agree with this. Cesc's form often dipped a lot in the last third of the seasons. Happened in 08/10/11 and the majority of his time at Barca. Although to be fair it wasn't just him at Arsenal, tbe whole team collapsed those seasons.

3. Oxeki

Oxeki New Threads, Old Tweets

He was still playing well even after February. Having no striker really killed us.

Gilberto was barely fit that season. Cesc basically had to do everything on his own.
    It's Funny you brought up Gerrard. Gerrard was playing with one of the most lethal striker in the world that season and had Alonso who was one of the best cm in the World as partner in Midfield yet Cesc putting up better numbers than him.

Funny you mentioned lampard. Lampard had an expensively assembled team that had top players in every position. I'm certain lampard won't have improved us if you replace Cesc with him in our team.
    At best what you'd get is probably a less injury prone and a slightly better version of Ramsey.

4. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog In Big Trouble If He Speaks

Between 2007 and 2010 Fabregas was undoubtedly the best midfielder in the league because what he did was threefold. He scored goals, he made goals but he also helped us control games. For me Lampard/Gerrard only ever did the first 2 most of the time. Fabregas was tasked with helping us control games, which we did quite a lot during that period as well as contribute in terms of production. Lampard always had the likes of Makelele, Essien, Ballack, Mikel or for Gerrard it was Alonso partnered with Mascherano. Neither had the task of being the primary controller or tempo setter in the same way Fabregas was here.

BigPoppaPump, Makavelii and Oxeki like this.
  5. Lakersgooner24

Lakersgooner24 Well-Known Member

Cesc was the focal point of our most competitive period of the Emirates era in terms of us having title aspirations and making decent runs in the CL, so it's difficult not to go with him.

During his time with us, he was the best young midfielder in the world, and well on his way to being one of the greats of the game. Don't think there's a midfielder currently, at that age, who performed to the level Cesc did. The likes of Frenkie de Jong, who is considered one of the best young midfielders, would dream to reach the levels Cesc did with us.

Wenger handed him the reigns to the team too quickly, and we ended up relying upon him too much. There should have been a smoother transition period from the old guard to the new.

Mind you, RvP was my probably favorite player during that period, but his injury issues were so annoying (felt that if he was able to stay fit for a season, we could have sustained a title-challenge). Tbf, Cesc started to get crocked during his latter years with us as well.

Taking everything into consideration, favorite Emirate era player has to be Santi. One of the most underrated players of his time, probably because the quality of midfielders Spain had at the time. My runner-up would be Rosicky, fantastic player who could never stay fit.

Makavelii likes this.
  6. Makavelii

Makavelii Well-Known Member

For his perceived lack of speed, strength and softness... he still did an awful lot of tackling and ball winning. It didn’t seem to hinder his game in any meaningful way as a midfielder.

I’d agree with that. It’s just too bad that his peak with us was so short lived.

I feel bad for Cesc. I think he genuinely loved the club. But he had a childhood dream to play for Barcelona. He wanted to come back to Arsenal afterwards but couldn’t and I’m sure he regretted ever leaving.

I hated RVP for a few years after he left. But over time I kind of forgive him and respect how talented he was and how amazing some of his goals were.

Nasri I think is just a spineless little **** and I don’t think he’s ever redeemable. He didn’t even do that much for Arsenal.