• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Best XI of the Emirates era

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Is it fair for me to say that Nasri's peak during the 10/11 season was arguably one of the best in the entire league but relatively short in his career? I feel like he was only truly world class for 6 months or so.
His whole Arsenal period was special. You could always see his talent, even though only his last period was outstanding.

As soon as he left, he fell off a cliff.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Is it fair for me to say that Nasri's peak during the 10/11 season was arguably one of the best in the entire league but relatively short in his career? I feel like he was only truly world class for 6 months or so.
He was special but I find AM go overboard with him. He’s more of a what if player.

Still a successful enough career tbh but could have been way more.

He’s the exact type of player posters here really like, diminutive, two footed, cute player - so yeah he always got special praise around here.

Last edited:

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
hFexXNy.png

Ballin'

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Ejj6Z6gHCWXXApGnO3UDOc8XzOLOyv75GwmmPRYxXhe-T9voxN_zLQmsW6RDfARrNEGakxqiDsnwYb3JnNEiYvm2kCgoiQ

“cute”
I remember memes at the time where people used to say he looked like a lesbian woman :lol:

I dunno why Arsenal has so many haters cause they kinda went away after he left.

but yeah he was cute with his dribbling and stuff. Very imaginative and audacious at times. I was a fan, but for me he was part of our “soft underbelly” reputation we built at the Emirates.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I remember memes at the time where people used to say he looked like a lesbian woman :lol:

I dunno why Arsenal has so many haters cause they kinda went away after he left.

but yeah he was cute with his dribbling and stuff. Very imaginative and audacious at times. I was a fan, but for me he was part of our “soft underbelly” reputation we built at the Emirates.
Prime Barcelona, prime Spain, prime City. Soft? Ronaldinho is no Drogba. Soft?

We like Arsenal because arsenal played the most beautiful football in the world. We are the English Barcelona.

Last edited:

Macho

Dusted 🔻

lol
I watched a bunch of retro Arsenal matches from 10/11 where we pretty much had this team, minus Santi, Tierney, Leno and I think Hleb maybe just left - and these guys weren’t on spit tbh.

Large periods dominating possession with very few shots on goal. Defence was poor and set pieces against was pretty much a guaranteed goal.

With this team we went 2-0 up against Sp**s only for them to turn it around and eventually win 3-2 thanks to a handball from Cesc cause he wanted to turn away from a free kick which led to a penalty.

This team was way too soft and frustrating to win anything major and in my opinion was the very beginning of our decline.

They needed to be mixed with steel and more athletic imposing players - which is how these guys went on to win stuff after they left because they were in more balanced teams. I always bemoaned Wenger for ditching powerful athletic players that got him his initial success, you need both.

I suggest a lot of you should rewatch that period cause I see a lot of rose tinted glasses around here regarding 2009-15

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
lol

I watched a bunch of retro Arsenal matches from 10/11 where we pretty much had this team, minus Santi, Tierney, Leno and I think Hleb maybe just left - and these guys weren’t on spit tbh.

Large periods dominating possession with very few shots on goal. Defence was poor and set pieces against was pretty much a guaranteed goal.

With this team we went 2-0 up against Sp**s only for them to turn it around and eventually win 3-2 thanks to a handball from Cesc cause he wanted to turn away from a free kick which led to a penalty.

This team was way too soft and frustrating to win anything major and in my opinion was the very beginning of our decline.

They needed to be mixed with steel and more athletic imposing players - which how these guys went on to win stuff after they left because they were in more balanced teams. I always bemoaned Wenger for ditching powerful athletic players that got him his initial success, you need both.

I suggest a lot of you should rewatch that period cause I see a lot of rose tinted glasses around here regarding 2009-15
City, Barcelona, Bayern, Milan, Spain, Brazil......
All the best teams in history were small and technical.

Small technical players were not the problem.
We didn’t win anything because:

1 our defence were ****.

2 other teams have improved tactically.
we didn’t have a modern/structured tactics to cope with it.
we never set up our team to counter opponent’s tactical changes.

3 our squad depth was lacking.
could have cope better with the unlucky injury crisis if we have more quality backups.
Remember Justin Hoyte against Ronaldo........?

4 we only had only one DM in the squad.
If he was injured we were screwed.

5 van persie
always had a fantastic world class half season and then gone injured

6 adebayor
scored lots of goals but he wasted tonnes and tonnes of easy chances.
I remember in a Fulham match he had about 7 one on one easy chances against the keeper and he only scored on the 8th.

7 walcott
was non technical, can’t dribble, zero skill level and ****, and he still is.

8 gallas
always stay in the opponent’s penalty area trying to score the important goal, but more often we conceded because our defence were left exposed.

9 denilson, song, diaby
diaby wasn’t bad, but his decision making was so poor, you don’t try to dribble in your own box even if you are messi. And I have seen that cost us goals a lot of times.

We would have won everything if we had a team like this: (proper skillful, intelligent players instead of jokes like walcott/adebayor...)

Szczesny
Martinez
Sagna
Eboue
Koscielny
Mertesacker
Toure
Clichy
Monreal
Flamini
Cazorla
Fabregas
Hleb
Rosicky
Nasri
Arshavin
Pepe
Sanchez
Van Persie

——————————Van Persie————————
————Hleb————Cazorla————Nasri——
———————Fabregas——Flamini—————
—Monreal——Koscielny——Toure——Sagna—
——————————Martinez—————————

Manager: Arteta

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Our 2006-2011 teams, while flawed as top sides, they were still expectational to watch...don't think anyone would say they were as good as our teams under Big Wengz at Highbury, though they did play some great football.

Our 2013-2015 team is an underrated one, a lot of likeable characters in those teams for me.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

@Football Manager I agree with a lot of your points and I’m not saying small technical players were the problem - there was just too many of it.

All those great teams you listed had a couple athletic/steely type in the mix who were not great technically but offered leadership and 7/10 performances regardless (Puyol, Mascherano, Seedorf, etc etc).

Wenger completely abandoned this on his budget Barcelona crusade and I always wondered why. You need both. The recent prem sides who dominate have had a Terry, Kompany, Vidic etc.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Our 2013-2015 team is an underrated one, a lot of likeable characters in those teams for me.
I don’t feel this way at all. Coquelin and Koscielny aside there were no real warriors and we had a lot of dead wood during this period.

This was our super market sweep era where we brought loads of average players in only to shift them quickly cause they didn’t cut the mustard. Or we forget we had them on the books like Jenkenson.

Was a very frustrating period for me myself in fact, I think I even shut off from it all tbh. Would explain my gap in activity here before my name change from “Psycho the gooner”.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I don’t feel this way at all. Coquelin and Koscielny aside there were no real warriors and we had a lot of dead wood during this period.

Not many warriors, just liked a lot of our players then...Caz, Mes, Sanchez, Welbeck, Kos, Per, Coq, Sagna, Szsz, Ramsey, Wilshere, Rosicky, Nacho, Arteta...good group imo.

This was our super market sweep era

Good way to sum them up though :lol:

Last edited:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
But the defense was poverty. Toure looked finished. :lol:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
But the defense was poverty. Toure looked finished. :lol:
:lol: Toure was morphing into a clown at that stage of his career. Strange because he was only 27 and should have been at his peak. Something in his head just switched off and didn't come back on... Was it that famous African Nations moment of madness that did it, when he was 1 v 1 with that Egyptian forward and so turned his back on him and ran for the hills :facepalm:

Latest posts+

Top Bottom