• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Biggest European Cup Rivalries

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
:cool:

Discuss: The biggest European Cup Rivalries

IMO keeping the history of the fixture and the prestige of the clubs in mind these are the top five Champions League rivalries.

5. Chelsea vs Barcelona
4. AC Milan vs Barcelona
3. AC Milan vs Real Madrid
2. Juventus vs Real Madrid
1. Bayern Munich vs Real Madrid

Brown Gooner

Strange that no one has an opinion on this topic. I guess Arsenal’s lack of European pedigree might have something to do with this.

Anyway Juventus vs Real Madrid coming up. May be another chapter will be written in one of the most historic CL rivalries.

My first memory of these two sides facing of is this game.

Brown Gooner

I think after yesterday’s game Juventus vs Real Madrid will turn into a much bitter rivalry.

As a neutral who isn’t fond of either Madrid or Juve, it was an absolutely fantastic game between two heavyweights of European Club football until the 93rd minute. The game was shaping up to be a classic with ET on the horizon until Oliver ruined it.

I feel so sad for Buffon :(

Dammit

The Juve defenders ruined it with such a brainfart defending. Stonewall pen imo. Buffon should have been more professional, though I can understand his emotional reaction, but you can't do that to the ref, rules are rules. It was a bit misfortunate it happened in the last minute of the game, but the ref have to give it. Feel sorry for Juventus, they had a fantastic game, but in the end they did a mistake.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I think after yesterday’s game Juventus vs Real Madrid will turn into a much bitter rivalry.

As a neutral who isn’t fond of either Madrid or Juve, it was an absolutely fantastic game between two heavyweights of European Club football until the 93rd minute. The game was shaping up to be a classic with ET on the horizon until Oliver ruined it.

I feel so sad for Buffon :(

Oliver ruined **** all he gave the correct decision...

Brown Gooner

Oliver ruined **** all he gave the correct decision...
I am sounding like a broken record right now but I will repeat this again.

The calls in the game are made at the referees discretion. The referee has to “manage” the game and it is up to him/her to let it become a physical game or not. Yesterday the Scotsman refereeing the Bayern game was letting Sevilla players get away with butchering the Bayern players and as a result the game got really nasty in the end when Correa literally tried to chop Javi Martinez and then was rightly sent off for it. The referee finally decide to take control of the games physicality in the stoppage time after the 90 minutes.

So the precedent had been set early in the Bayern game that the referee was not booking for overly physical challenges and as a result the game got out of control in the second half where Sevilla (who had ZERO shots on target in yesterday’s game) players were doing really nasty stuff to their opponents out of pure frustration.

Now go over to Madrid. Throughout the game Oliver lets many physical tackles go unpunished and lets Real Madrid players (Ronaldo in particular) get away with numerous diving incidents. The referee (Oliver) has set the precedent and the players and the teams expect him to be consistent in the match. However, right in the dying seconds of the game, Oliver throws the percent out of the window and dramatically points to the spot.

The Benatia-Lucas incident if viewed in isolation is definitely a foul but context of the game and how Oliver had managed the game until that point is equally relevant.

Plus, personally I really hate it when after a really big game the football fans/viewers are left discussing a referee’s decision. It just robs the game of what it should be about and taints it with controversy. I prefer it when such huge games are settled by the players themselves and not the officials. Unfortunately English referees, being the egomaniacs they are, just can’t help themselves and be the center of attention by making crucial game changing decisions.

No wonder none of these useless idiots will be going to the WC!

Bayern Munich vs Arsenal
Nah. Rivalries are supposed to be competitive and not lopsided affairs. Plus in all honesty Arsenal are not a Big European club and have sadly never won the big ears, so unfortunately we do not merit a place in this conversation about Big European Cup rivalries.

BBF

So basically the biggest rivalries are Barca or Real against some other random team?

... Barca vs Chelsea? Wtf.

I will help you out; nobody cares about European rivalries, mostly because there's no such thing.

Absolute state of this, Barcelona don't even know who they are.

Brown Gooner

So basically the biggest rivalries are Barca or Real against some other random team?

... Barca vs Chelsea? Wtf.

I will help you out; nobody cares about European rivalries, mostly because there's no such thing.
Speak for yourself dude. You don’t represent every football fan.

Barca and Chelsea have played each other many times with memorable and close matches. Arsenal’s fixtures against Barca/Bayern have been one sided with the rare win for Arsenal.

Brown Gooner

The biggest European rivalry is Madrid v/s Barca.
I agree.

But I was talking about games specifically played in the European Cup. Real and Barca have just not played against each other that often in the EC.

With that being said, once again it is the big daddy of UCL rivalries this time in the SF.

FC Bayern München vs Real Madrid CF

These two footballing giants have been going at it since the 70s-80s!

Last edited:

Latest posts+

Top Bottom