• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Black and Minority Ethnic Managers in British Football

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
wtf? quotas should not even be mentioned when it comes to a company

if (and it is a big if) quotas are to be mentioned it is of course only an issue for government jobs

owners/boards are stupid and will suffer if they pass up on talent due to stale moronic racism
There was an interesting study in Soccernomics about owners/boards suffering for their discrimination in the 70s and 80s -- basically, due to prevailing attitudes, black players of equivalent skill were paid less than their white counterparts. As a result, teams with a higher percentage of black players overperformed their whiter counterparts (once controlling for wage, of course). E.g. a team with a $100,000 wage bill and 50% black players did better on average than on with a $100,000 in wages and only 10% blacks, since whites cost more for similar skill.

Hopefully we see something similar happen (and maybe it's already happening) in the managerial sphere -- hiring anyone but the most meritorious candidate costs a club wins, fans, etc.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ijVnAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA103&lpg=PA103&dq=soccernomics+black+players&source=bl&ots=wzn8ppjrfg&sig=N2PZLb0JX7NILEvAookPLcrZvnc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2iNy9tcjXAhVC4GMKHV7aCvAQ6AEIKDAA#v=onepage&q=soccernomics black players&f=false

Last edited:

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
More opportunities for minorities are great. Sad it has to come down to statistics though rather thank skill. But obviously race is still a major concern in football.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
There was an interesting study in Soccernomics about owners/boards suffering for their discrimination in the 70s and 80s -- basically, due to prevailing attitudes, black players of equivalent skill were paid less than their white counterparts. As a result, teams with a higher percentage of black players overperformed their whiter counterparts (once controlling for wage, of course). E.g. a team with a $100,000 wage bill and 50% black players did better on average than on with a $100,000 in wages and only 10% blacks, since whites cost more for similar skill.

Hopefully we see something similar happen (and maybe it's already happening) in the managerial sphere -- hiring anyone but the most meritorious candidate costs a club wins, fans, etc.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ijVnAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA103&lpg=PA103&dq=soccernomics+black+players&source=bl&ots=wzn8ppjrfg&sig=N2PZLb0JX7NILEvAookPLcrZvnc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2iNy9tcjXAhVC4GMKHV7aCvAQ6AEIKDAA#v=onepage&q=soccernomics black players&f=false

We still suffer from that

we rather go white, small technical than big black and athletic

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Frank Rijkaard?
Some might ask whether managing Barca really tests your management skills, what with being arguably the best club in Spain anyway, but he made some great decisions there. He was a top manager. He had a way. He took no sh!t. I'm sure being in an around the Dutch NT taught him how to sniff out and then deal with the wankers.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
We still suffer from that

we rather go white, small technical than big black and athletic
The ‘Soccernomics’ article found that black players were ~5% cheaper (for equal play) in the 80s, but by the late 90s the ‘anti-racism’ discount had shrunk to zero. No clue if any modern-day studies have been conducted.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
The ‘Soccernomics’ article found that black players were ~5% cheaper (for equal play) in the 80s, but by the late 90s the ‘anti-racism’ discount had shrunk to zero. No clue if any modern-day studies have been conducted.

We also have fewer South americans i reckon

tysonjohn

I wonder why Sol Campbell is finding it so difficult to get a manager job? I mean, aside from the race issue. Or is that literally the one problem he has? I recently read an article where he said he's even willing to work for free!

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
Rooney rule has done F*ck all for the NFL or college level football and basketball.

NFL is a successful business institution that’s a customer driven and caters to the preference of its customers. The overwhelming majority of their customers happen to be white.

There are still millions of Americans to this day who still believe that the black man cannot play at QB, that the blackman cannot process information as fast as his white counterparts, and that the blackman cannot handle pressure as good as his white counterparts. And to an extent the media plays a huge role in maintaining that nonsense by how they report a same incindent involving two players with difference races.

USA is the last country on earth that I’d use as an example regarding a minority. :lol:

pacstud

Rooney rule has done F*ck all for the NFL or college level football and basketball.

NFL is a successful business institution that’s a customer driven and caters to the preference of its customers. The overwhelming majority of their customers happen to be white.

There are still millions of Americans to this day who still believe that the black man cannot play at QB, that the blackman cannot process information as fast as his white counterparts, and that the blackman cannot handle pressure as good as his white counterparts. And to an extent the media plays a huge role in maintaining that nonsense by how they report a same incindent involving two players with difference races.

USA is the last country on earth that I’d use as an example regarding a minority. :lol:
Your vast experience?

Shocker really, that the most heterogeneous nation since Rome has issues....shocker I say.

And as for American sports, you could not be more wrong. American diversity makes European professional sports look 19th century by comparison.

You are reciting click bait bullshit spewed by race fiends looking to bump their readers. Actually going into these teams, the locker rooms, the cultures...well you'd realize how wrong you are.

Gervais

Established Member
Rooney Rule or a quota system is a dreadful idea and is just a box ticking exercise. Like someone said earlier in this thread, NFL teams just end up appointing the guy they wanted all along, regardless of skin colour. I'd argue that wheeling in some black candidates, simply on the basis of their skin colour, whilst having no intention employing them at all, is just as insulting as refusing to interview them. A complete and utter waste of people's time.

I can't support a system that elevates skin colour as a defining factor of interviewing or hiring someone, in any job setting, or in any way of life. That isn't equality of opportunity, its preferential treatment based on a characteristic that nobody has control over. The best person for the job should ALWAYS come first, regardless of anything else. We should be trying to find a solution to the reasoning and justification behind having to implement the Rooney Rule, not cutting corners and shoehorning in a biased and unfair system.

There's no doubt in my mind that historically, there was a culture of racism which probably put BAME people off from getting into management, or even physically preventing those who were interested. We'll see more come into professional management over the next few years, I'm sure. I would say we're probably at the 'catch up' stage.

Thinking about it - it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if a lot of the black players who were prominent in the 70s/80/90s couldn't wait to get out of the sport, purely because of the abuse they received at the time. Thankfully we're in more enlightened times and that hopefully we'll see more players from the last 20 years getting into management.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom