• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Blogs are a Good Thing (TM)

banduan

Established Member
A little more than a year before I had never known much about Arsenal's web presence. They had a lousy website with an awful red background. It was rarely updated and some of the info was so dated it looked a joke.

But I can only get my Gunners matches on satellite tv, and info from the papers. I don't subscribe to satellite telly at home, so I always take a trip down to a local dine-out to watch each match wide-screen.

Unfortunately while I can bear watching matches at 1am, 3am is stretching it a bit. Luckily the CL matches get shown on terrestrial.

But getting news on my team was a pain. Papers were just too slow for my requirements. I wanted gossip right on the ball.

So I signed onto a local forum. It was from there that I discovered all the Gooners online. It started with Arsenal-Mania and Gunnerblog. Gunnerblog had links to others and it all went on from there.

Pretty soon I'd become acquainted with all the various blogs. I'd like to list my favourite ones:

Arseblog
Apparently won an award for best Sports Blog. Fairly funny. Typical of many blogs has taken up a fairly vindictive stance against a self-assigned antagonist, in this case Myles Palmer of Arsenal News Review.
I feel Arseblogger's posts are a tad too long sometimes, but its a good site to refer to anyway.
http://www.arseblog.com

Arsenal News Review (ANR)
Myles Palmer's site is controversial among Arsenal fans. Palmer has written forever on the Arse, and his loyalty should not be doubted.
Palmer also gets some amazing info from amazing sources. They are very very interesting. His off-the-cuff theories and comments are also very interesting.
But he is also an enormous jinx. His analysis tends to verge between dodgy to completely wrong, and no-one will forget how badly he underrated Henry.
Again, in typical blogger fashion, he is dogmatic and dislikes Henry and wants Stan Wonky to be our sugar-daddy. His writing is a rambling pub-talk style that's provocative and quite nice to read.
http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk

Goodplaya
Goodplaya is a nicely laid out blog that I like for the playa ratings. The comments are short, spiffy and generally positive. Heck the main criticism would be the saccharine loveliness of it all. But it's all good.
http://www.goodplaya.com

Gunnerblog
Nice and spiffily clean site thats very frequently updated. Gilbertosilver's site may come across as being quite acidic on some fronts, too sugarcoated on others, but the passion's all there mate.
http://www.gunnerblog.com

There's plenty of other sites linked to by those blogs.

The thing about blogs is that they're incredibly tough to maintain. You must have the guts and the passion and the energy to do this. It takes a monster effort to get something as persistent as ANR and Arseblog to continue running.

Now I know what's going on in the Gunner world and can indulge in some of the footballing zeitgeist.

Yes, the analysis may be wonky. Yes, the journalism may be spotty. They make take things too seriously (ala A Cultured Left Foot) or they may not look like they care (ala Arsenal Shorts) but at the end of the day while they continue to write about the Gunners, they become an inescapable source of passion to share among ourselves.

These people care, folks (even if some don't look like it) and it pains me to see so much mud being flinged against them. Criticise their opinions if you must, but respect what they do.
Especially Myles Palmer. No matter how that riles you.

RC8

Established Member
banduan said:
Myles Palmer's site is controversial among Arsenal fans. Palmer has written forever on the Arse, and his loyalty should not be doubted.
Palmer also gets some amazing info from amazing sources. They are very very interesting. His off-the-cuff theories and comments are also very interesting.
But he is also an enormous jinx. His analysis tends to verge between dodgy to completely wrong, and no-one will forget how badly he underrated Henry.
Again, in typical blogger fashion, he is dogmatic and dislikes Henry and wants Stan Wonky to be our sugar-daddy. His writing is a rambling pub-talk style that's provocative and quite nice to read.

These people care, folks (even if some don't look like it) and it pains me to see so much mud being flinged against them. Criticise their opinions if you must, but respect what they do.

You are so wrong there it's not even funny. He was a Manchester United fan, and now he claims he is a "football fan". He is not loyal to Arsenal, he is not an Arsenal supporter. Just take a look at this:

http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/inde ... eturnid=42

His site is always down as well.

The guy is a complete and utter joke. He has got the worst sources; or he lacks any source whatsoever. He is a terrible analyst. He is ignorant as hell. And to top it all off, he isn't even an Arsenal supporter.

I enjoy the existence of his blog, I'm not going to deny that. But it's in the same way I enjoy the existence of Sp**s; so that I can laugh at them when it all goes horribly wrong.

Open your eyes pal, Myles Palmer is a below-par, unprofessional journalist who relies on Arsenal fans to get some publicity for his miserable cause.

illmatik

Established Member
RC8 said:
banduan said:

You are so wrong there it's not even funny. He was a Manchester United fan, and now he claims he is a "football fan". He is not loyal to Arsenal, he is not an Arsenal supporter. Just take a look at this:

http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/inde ... eturnid=42

His site is always down as well.

The guy is a complete and utter joke. He has got the worst sources; or he lacks any source whatsoever. He is a terrible analyst. He is ignorant as hell. And to top it all off, he isn't even an Arsenal supporter.

I enjoy the existence of his blog, I'm not going to deny that. But it's in the same way I enjoy the existence of Sp**s; so that I can laugh at them when it all goes horribly wrong.

Open your eyes pal, Myles Palmer is a below-par, unprofessional journalist who relies on Arsenal fans to get some publicity for his miserable cause.

Spot on. I can't even believe he used "amazing sources", "amazing info" and "Myles Palmer" in the same sentence. However, I didn't know he was a ManUre fan. What a turd.

banduan

Established Member
I'm not sure what column in which paper Palmer writes in but I never thought of him as a journalist. Just as a blogger.

You don't need to be hyper-accurate to blog, you just have to be interesting, or funny or both.

And as for his loyalties, I probably haven't read ANR long enough, and the recent piece on Man U WAGs does show some Manure ties, but his articles have little to suggest him being anything but a Gooner- albeit an aloof one.

Besides, Palmer's just one of many such blogs, and the idea is that these things are great and its a shame so many hate them so much.

Just don't take them so seriously, they're not papers, and they don't pretend to be.

RC8

Established Member
banduan said:
I'm not sure what column in which paper Palmer writes in but I never thought of him as a journalist. Just as a blogger.

You don't need to be hyper-accurate to blog, you just have to be interesting, or funny or both.

And as for his loyalties, I probably haven't read ANR long enough, and the recent piece on Man U WAGs does show some Manure ties, but his articles have little to suggest him being anything but a Gooner- albeit an aloof one.

Besides, Palmer's just one of many such blogs, and the idea is that these things are great and its a shame so many hate them so much.

Just don't take them so seriously, they're not papers, and they don't pretend to be.

He is NOT a Gooner. He claims he is a journalist. He claims he has sources inside when it's painfully obvious he doesn't. He knows nothing about football. Independently on whether he is just a blogger or not, he deserves hatred from the Arsenal faithful. How many times has he made up stories about us signing someone? How many times has he lied to us?

I'm sick and tired of him.

A

Anonymous

The fact that you're even discussing him shows something ...

RC8

Established Member
Just for the record, Myles Palmer got found out again. After the Palacio transfer turned out to be made up by an Arsenal fan:

http://bocajnews.blogspot.com/

Myles Palmer's "inside information" was once again proved to be false and/or completely unreliable. After he had said:

The scout who brought Fabregas to Arsenal has been running the rule over Palacio, I gather.

:lol:

To be fair to him, at least this time he said it was unlikely. Not like 5 weeks ago when he said Arsenal would sign Babel, Trezeguet, and Sagna, to keep Henry happy...

mgrealsmooth

RC8 said:
Just for the record, Myles Palmer got found out again. After the Palacio transfer turned out to be made up by an Arsenal fan:

http://bocajnews.blogspot.com/

Myles Palmer's "inside information" was once again proved to be false and/or completely unreliable. After he had said:

The scout who brought Fabregas to Arsenal has been running the rule over Palacio, I gather.

:lol:

To be fair to him, at least this time he said it was unlikely. Not like 5 weeks ago when he said Arsenal would sign Babel, Trezeguet, and Sagna, to keep Henry happy...

Seems we found a different way to keep Henry happy in the end :lol:
Still, if there was a divorce clause in his contract he may have reconsidered :lol:

stuart

Established Member
Anyone got this months 4-4-2? Theres a bit on the Arseblog ...nice to see it get a mention, a whole page in fact

DublinGunner also gets a mention :)

banduan

Established Member
hertsgooner said:
I just started a site myself.

www.goodoldarsenal.net

Let me know what you think.

I'll be frank and say you need a lot more opinion and or story to make a good blog. It's not quantity it's quality.

You don't need to make a news round-up of everything, you got content aggregators and feeds to do that for you.

Don't worry too much on being 100% accurate, it's what you think and feel that matters. A blog isn't a newspaper.

hertsgooner

banduan said:
hertsgooner said:
I just started a site myself.

www.goodoldarsenal.net

Let me know what you think.

I'll be frank and say you need a lot more opinion and or story to make a good blog. It's not quantity it's quality.

You don't need to make a news round-up of everything, you got content aggregators and feeds to do that for you.

Don't worry too much on being 100% accurate, it's what you think and feel that matters. A blog isn't a newspaper.

Thanks for the tips. Its early days yet but you will see improvements.

The ArseNole

New Arsenal Blog...Critique It?

I started my own blog in early July because I am studying journalism and wanted a place to practice and because above all I love Arsenal. If you blog readers would read it and leave a comment on what you thin, or can PM me about it, that would be great. I want to make the best site I can for all the Gooners so let me know what is good and what I should work on. Thanks,

The ArseNole

http://arsenole.com

Latest posts+

Top Bottom