• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

booing the players?

Aussie

Established Member
Im just saying they play a sport that they dreamed of playing for as a kid. When they get there through years of hard work they become obsessed with money.

Chips&CurrySauce

Thats not stictly true either Aussie. Of course the players are influenced by money, thats no suprise, we live in a capitlaist society for ****s sake. What the players really want is to get paid what they deserve and to have the opportunity to win things. Just look at Steven Gerrard, a true Liverpool man, but he was so close to joining Chelsea over the Summer because firstly they were offering more money and secondly they have a chance of winning trophies. The same can be said of Smith. Portrayed himself as a die hard Leeds fan, kissed the badge at every opportunity, then when Manu cam in for him he didn't hesiatte to stick 2 fingers up at the Elland Road crowd and get out of the place.

The players get paid what they deserve but the bottom line is, the deciding factor of whether players like Patrick and Thierry stay with us, is because they know they have a realistic chance of winning things with us.

skart14

Chips&CurrySauce said:
If the players were only influenced by money then there would be alot more players playing in the UAE!

Of course its not just the money...its also fame and all the celebrity *****es they get to bang...hence not many players shipping to the UAE...

tbbosa

Aussie and theguvnor your arguments are too simplistic , I can now confirm. Times have changed, you will have to accept that. If you don't change with change, you will be left behind, and you two are behind, try to catch up with the times. You are too old fashioned!!

Aussie

Established Member
I dont belive there has ever been a time where sports followers have been more disenchanted by the sporting hero's. Sport used to be something where people from all age's, races and economic background could get together on the weekend to wach there team no matter what the sport was. Those days are gone. Player Wages and Season Ticket prices have gone through the roof and some time the bubble will burst and sport will be ****ed.

Players have become driven by money and as you said Chips&CurrySauce, Success as well. Both have thrown loyalty out the window. High Player Wages are the reason Arsenal tickets will become so expensive. One day the bubble will burst and no clubs will be able to afford the wages the players demand. Players are being payed to much. If you disagree could someone please name one point to justify the amount of money players earn.

Sport is being driven by greed and 90% of sport's stars have become money grabbing tossers.

Aussie

Established Member
tbbosa said:
Aussie and theguvnor your arguments are too simplistic , I can now confirm. Times have changed, you will have to accept that. If you don't change with change, you will be left behind, and you two are behind, try to catch up with the times. You are too old fashioned!!

Well as far as im concerned Sport and English Football is in its peak now. Soon the bubble will burst and football will stop being fashionable and people will go back to taking clients to golf courses instead of football games.

Aussie

Established Member
I dont think i can be old fashioned.

Anyway is there anyone who can come up with a reason why the players deserve to be earning 80,000 grand a week.

Chips&CurrySauce

Well Aussie, who does deserve to be paid £80,000 a week. Thats not the issue, does Tiger Woods deserve to be paid £1million pounds for winning a golf tournament. What players get paid reflects their quality and what market forces dictate he should be paid. As we all no Sol Cambell can leave at the end of the season and there will be a list of clubs happy to pay him £100,000 a week.

The fact is players wages are dictated by the amount of money in the game. At the moment, with massive revenues from television rights, shirt sponsorship etc, the clubs do have the finances to pay players these salaries. If we decided to have a £50,000 salary cap at Highbury, the likes of Henry, Patrick, will move on. Not only this, the super star players are responsible for the excellent viewing figures of premiership games, and of shirt sales, as a result they should be remunerated for this. The general public I'm afraid aren't particulalry bothered about watching lower league football, because they naturally want to watch the best and the glamour of the premiership.

Throughout the 70's and 80's players were also payed very well, as much as the clubs could afford, however there is so much more money in the game now, they obviously will be paid more to reflect this. Its all relative.

Allyboy

Established Member
I would only consider booing the players if they clearly could not give a toss.

Its funny as they were booed at half time against Inter Milan last year (the home game that is), purely for being 3-0 down.

However they looked like they were really up for it but it had just gone very pear shaped, so I was not too pissed off with them. Then they came out for the second half and frankly barely tried to attack! They just accepted they had lost and looked like they did not give a dam and as a result I was angry at them.

Against West Brom they clearly were trying, they just messed up one cross, okay clearly it is a recurring issue but to boo them for it is way over the top IMO.

As for the people who are saying their wages justifies the boos, think of it this way. If you had the talent to play at the highest level and a club offered you 40, 50, 60, 70, 80+ grand a week to play it, would you HONESTLY turn it down? I know I would not, sure I probably would represent for free in theory, but if someone offered me that I would take it!

Now lets say you and your teammates manage not to lose ONE league game on the way to winning the title. Its something which has NEVER been done in the modern times and most likely will not be done again. So the next season starts and things start to go a bit wonky. You are trying your hardest but nothing is going your way and the team is underperforming. Then you are one nil up and looking comfortable against a weaker team and they hit you with a sucker punch and its 1-1. You throw everything you have at them but your lack of form continues. You have tried your best but its just not quite working for you.

And then the fans boo you!

Just five months removed from doing the almost unthinkable your supposed supporters are taring into you because of a half a dozen game loss of form! Would you not be pissed off? Would you not think they are ungrateful? I dam well would!

The negativity on this place amazes me, the same forum which a few months back were hailing this side one of the best EVER and saying how much they love Wenger have completly turned on them. Now our players do not give a ****, our manager gets blamed for not buying world class players in a transfer window that is yet to happen (did those posters actually THINK about what they were putting?!), Chelsea are unstoppable and the once hailed immortals are also rans.

All because of 4-6 weeks dip in form!

You all HAVE to have the Champions League, nothing else seems to matter. The rest of us get told about how much we are behind teams like Barcalona yet Barca have not won the CL for 12 years! Would you rather have supported them since 1996? Or Chelsea?

Theres nothing wrong with constructive criticism of the team but most of the critisicm is agressive and almost diatride like! "How dare they not win?! Why the **** did Wenger not buy a defender! What sort of manager is he?! How dare they not win the CL every year?!" "THEY GAVE THE BALL AWAY! THEY SHOULD ALL BE FIRED AND REPLACED WITH CHELSEA PLAYERS!!"

Repeat Ad Nausem....

We are all disappointed at the moment, but we had disappointing periods in 1997/1998 and in 2001/2002 and indeed last season.

The sad thing is, if we do win trophies this year the same people who are slating the team now will probably bask in the magnificane of their success like they never had a go at them in the first place!

tbbosa

Allyboy said:
The sad thing is, if we do win trophies this year the same people who are slating the team now will probably bask in the magnificane of their success like they never had a go at them in the first place!

I totally agree, that's Typical of human beings. More so on this forum....the bottom line is no one has a God given entitlement to winning all the time, things don't work that way. You win some and draw some (may be loose one if cheated by a manure supporting ref.)

A

Anonymous

I know footballers get paid that much, i know all sportsmen at the top level do, i know its the way of the world, and NO i wouldnt turn it down. BUT thats not my point. My point is still that sports people dont deserve this much money, that is my opinion, you cannot argue with that.
Maybe i am old school, my prime time was during the 80's so can you blame me. I no longer like footballers, infact, i hate them. They are all overpaid, overhyped, show off, whinging, whinning, flash, jack the lad spoilt brats. I know quite a few and they are all like this. They have totally lost their feet from the ground and are generally **** bags who do believe they are above the rest of us. IF you dont know any footballers personally or dont have any experiences with them then please dont argue with me on this.

Allyboy

Established Member
Guv, I know from first hand experience that Arsenal players do work for charity and good causes which they deliberately do NOT tell the press about!

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but personally I do not think saying its okay to boo them if they do not win because they happen to be wealthy is really fair.

Of course you are more than entitled to feel differently :wink:

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
theguvnor said:
I know footballers get paid that much, i know all sportsmen at the top level do, i know its the way of the world, and NO i wouldnt turn it down. BUT thats not my point. My point is still that sports people dont deserve this much money, that is my opinion, you cannot argue with that.
Maybe i am old school, my prime time was during the 80's so can you blame me. I no longer like footballers, infact, i hate them. They are all overpaid, overhyped, show off, whinging, whinning, flash, jack the lad spoilt brats. I know quite a few and they are all like this. They have totally lost their feet from the ground and are generally **** bags who do believe they are above the rest of us. IF you dont know any footballers personally or dont have any experiences with them then please dont argue with me on this.

Gvnor..if $50 million is being made because guys like to to stadiums and order games..don't you think a portion of that money should go to players?? Or do you think only the owner/shareholders of the club should get that money? I thin you are tackling the problem at the wrong area. The fact is football generates money like it never did before. And players do deserve a piece of that pie. I know I would. Its not about being deserving the $$ for running my socks off..but I believe I do contribute to that $50 being generated so i need my piece.

Aussie

Established Member
Chips&CurrySauce said:
Well Aussie, who does deserve to be paid £80,000 a week. Thats not the issue, does Tiger Woods deserve to be paid £1million pounds for winning a golf tournament. What players get paid reflects their quality and what market forces dictate he should be paid. As we all no Sol Cambell can leave at the end of the season and there will be a list of clubs happy to pay him £100,000 a week.

The fact is players wages are dictated by the amount of money in the game. At the moment, with massive revenues from television rights, shirt sponsorship etc, the clubs do have the finances to pay players these salaries. If we decided to have a £50,000 salary cap at Highbury, the likes of Henry, Patrick, will move on. Not only this, the super star players are responsible for the excellent viewing figures of premiership games, and of shirt sales, as a result they should be remunerated for this. The general public I'm afraid aren't particulalry bothered about watching lower league football, because they naturally want to watch the best and the glamour of the premiership.

Throughout the 70's and 80's players were also payed very well, as much as the clubs could afford, however there is so much more money in the game now, they obviously will be paid more to reflect this. Its all relative.

My main point is that all sports stars not just footballer dont deserve to be earning as much as they do. How anyone can say they do is just crazy and plain stupid.

Of course they deserve to be well paid as there is a lot of money in football and its only fair that they get a slice but to be earning the amount they do is just crazy. Money will stuff Football up there is no doubt about that.

The fact is players wages are dictated by the amount of money in the game. At the moment, with massive revenues from television rights, shirt sponsorship etc, the clubs do have the finances to pay players these salaries.

Players Wages are dictated by the money in Football. However then Season Ticket Prices and other things that end up costing the fan are dictated by Player Wages. As player Wages go up so does everything else till it comes a time where football become a sport for the rich.

Of course if we decided to pay our stars less than other clubs were offering they would probably leave. Now Thierry could play for free for the rest of his life and never have another job and he could still afford to buy a new car every week. However if Arsenal said we cant afford to pay you the amount you want he would probably go to someone who can. Most Footballers have become money grabbers and have blown loyalty out the window.

In 20 years time what it the average wage going to be?

What is the average season ticket going to be?

What sort of fans are going to be going to the games?

A

Anonymous

Gvnor..if $50 million is being made because guys like to to stadiums and order games..don't you think a portion of that money should go to players?? Or do you think only the owner/shareholders of the club should get that money? I thin you are tackling the problem at the wrong area. The fact is football generates money like it never did before. And players do deserve a piece of that pie. I know I would. Its not about being deserving the $$ for running my socks off..but I believe I do contribute to that $50 being generated so i need my piece.
You dont seem to grasp my whole point, im not saying they shouldnt be earning money, im saying they shouldnt be earning upwards of 50k a WEEK, when people in the world with much much harder jobs and much more important jobs are struggling to survive. These players are lucky to be getting this excessive amount, so i think when the regular fans who are paying them too get this much the fans then have a right to express their disapproval with the players performances. Its not about how many we have lost, its about the effort we are putting in, and just lately we look very laxidase on the pitch. And for 50k a week they should be running themselves into the ground, i know i would.

blimpar

We're not comminists. They get paid what the market dictates. If you don't like it, tough. You can't use it as a stick to beat them with.

solthegunner

I think people are blowing this whole thing out of all proportion.

Fans boo teams. They earn this right because they spend they're money going to the games. The reasons they do this is because they aren't happy with the team.

Thats it. No mystery. Unlike somebody who said ‘it’s the same as leaving your wounded on the battle field’. It’s a mystery they’ve let him out so early!

No one was happy with the result, a little boo at the end…..whats the ****ing big deal? 10 mins latter its forgotten about. I didn’t see any of the players crying or any fans setting themselves alight.

At least the people that boo are the ones that feel passionate enough about the club to show their feelings. Which in some ways is better than the jokers that use highbury as a rich social club.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom