• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arteta’s Transfer Targets: Summer 2024

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 5,529
  • Views 286,402

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

We won't end up with either.

Bruno has city transfer written all over him and FDJ is comfortable

DuBB

Not really, and I’m all for people saying Bruno is fine all things considered, but to say he’s better footballistically than FDJ is insane.

Frenkie would work so well here because he complements Rice perfectly. Everything one is bad at the other excels at and vice versa.

That second paragraph sounds good in theory, but the issue you then have if you build your team that way is that your midfield (or whatever segment of the field you build like that) only works optimally when both play together.

FDJ is a better footballer, sure. But being better than Guimaraes doesn’t mean Guimaraes isn’t good. He really is. I feel like people should watch him. And not highlights but watch him.

Most fans’ instincts when we’re linked to a player is to look up their stats. My first instinct when we’re linked is to watch their next games on TV. I haven’t looked up a single Fbref or Transfermarkt page.

I said earlier in this thread that I’ve seen Bruno play before but never focused on him, but I watched Newcastle vs. Brighton in full just to watch him, and I see the vision. It makes perfect sense. He’s a 6/8/10.

I’m gonna say some names, but I’m not comparing him to them stylistically, but I’m comparing him to them in terms of what they offer. He breaks lines from deep like Partey. When he pushes further forward, he cuts through deep blocks like Ødegaard. And he connects areas of the pitch with simple give and go passes kind of like Xhaka.

This isn’t me saying he’s all those players in one, thus he’s a superior player. But it is me saying that I cannot imagine a player as good as him, being available, that from Day 1 allows you to play 2-3 different ways depending on how well things go. He could come in, unlock Declan as an 8 and take us forward. Or he could come in, play Left 8 himself and allow our left side to be as fluid as our right. Or he could, in a pinch, allow us to have a backup in case Ødegaard were to get injured because his feet as incredibly tidy and he threads needle passes.

I saw him do all of those things in one match against Brighton and he didn’t even look like he was trying that hard. He started as a 6 but roamed, and when Joelinton came on, Joelinton was the deeper of the 2 and Bruno became almost a pure 8/10 to end the game.

Is he better than FDJ on “pure” footballing level? No. Is he better for us in more ways than FDJ would be? Probably.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Why would Olise come in to be anyone's backup when almost every top team in the league is interested, some of which can offer him a starting spot and wages that reflect that.

With that logic how does City sign any players then?

Off of the top of my head - competing for the PL, playing CL football for the biggest club in London

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
I urge you guys if you can, to watch United vs. Newcastle tomorrow.

Not because I guarantee he’ll have a great or even good game. He might drop a stinker.

But watch the game. Watch him. And watch what he does and try and imagine how what he does applies to different parts of our game.

I think things will click into place for a lot of us.

Bruno is a decent player, I don’t disagree with what you say. He will make us better. But what FDJ is far better than Bruno at is turning markers when receiving the ball with his back to play. Arguably he is even better than Partey at this. And in a TP5less world this is the one attribute we need above all else as far as I’m concerned.

I’m not basing this on stats btw (I’m not even sure you can?)

The stats if anything say Bruno is better than Frenkie. The eye test tells me otherwise.

FDJ + Rice + Ødegaard midfield has world class oop defensive cover, world class build up and world class creativity in all phases of play. It’s a wet dream of a midfield and we’ll never see it but that doesn’t mean it’s not true.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Calling it now.

When Madrid sign Mbappe to play up top with Vini Jr next season, this guy is coming here to star on the left hand side for us alongside his Brazilian buddies already here...

w640xh480_GettyImages-1488343105.jpg
Rodrygo is a special player, he's such a natural baller, his agility is so similar to Bernardo Silva. Can glide past players.

StefanB

Bruno is a decent player, I don’t disagree with what you say. He will make us better. But what FDJ is far better than Bruno at is turning markers when receiving the ball with his back to play. Arguably he is even better than Partey at this. And in a TP5less world this is the one attribute we need above all else as far as I’m concerned.

I’m not basing this on stats btw (I’m not even sure you can?)

The stats if anything say Bruno is better than Frenkie. The eye test tells me otherwise.

FDJ + Rice + Ødegaard midfield has world class oop defensive cover, world class build up and world class creativity in all phases of play. It’s a wet dream of a midfield and we’ll never see it but that doesn’t mean it’s not true.
Frenkie can't play as a lone DM (unlike Partey), meaning that Rice would have to play deeper. He's far quicker than Jorginho, but nearly as adept defensively. He's also considered quite weak in La Liga where he still struggles with the physicality.

FdJ is at his best in either a double pivot or as a roaming 8. Meaning we would have to sacrifice Rice's offensive qualities and play him as the DM to get the best out of FdJ. There's also the big risk that he will struggle to adapt to the Premier League, while Bruno will be ready to go right away.

I've wanted Frenkie at Arsenal for many years, but he doesn't fit this team anymore, and we would be far better with a player being able to play alongside Rice in his best position who can also play alongside Jorghino, Partey, Smith Rowe, Ødegaard and Vieira in pretty much any position.

Gn1212

With that logic how does City sign any players then?

Off of the top of my head - competing for the PL, playing CL football for the biggest club in London
They offer them silly wages, to be warm the bench.

Arsenal ain't doing that. Man Utd are most likely signing Olise and they're gonna spend a fortune doing so.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I don’t mind Zinchenko, in fact I think he’s been harshly treated by the fans.
Why? He’s repeatedly made the same mistakes not only positionally in defence but also in possession (his supposed strength which is meant to offset his poor defending).

He’s had a disastrous season and it’s the reason why Arteta (the man who signed him) made him essentially third choice to Tomiyasu and Kiwior in the 2nd half of the season.

IMO it’s a very clear one from top to bottom. He’s been really poor this season for what we expect… and this in fact started towards the end of last season. Cash in all day long.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
In my opinion we need at least 2 level raising signings this season with 1 First 16 player if we want to compete with city next season.

The level raisers need to be at CM and in Attack, with a serviceable LB/CB option replacing Zinchenko in the squad.

Apart from replacing departures like Ramsdale, that’s the business we need to do to become even more competitive IMO.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

Just analyzed the squad and the amount of players that we need to get rid of (and sign) show what a poor job Teta did building this squad.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

I think with CL being more games. Hopefully do better in the cups. We could play +10 games. We need to build the squad. It’s clear the manager won’t play guys like esr or vieira. So they can’t really be counted on

The one I’m most curious about this summer is Zinchenko. What do we do with him

Fertiliser for the carpet.

Arsenal Quotes

I knew we were very different, that he (Ferguson) had a total hold over his club while at that time I was still more of a coach. I also recognised his huge qualities. He knew how to surround himself with the right people and didn't rest on his laurels when he was successful.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 28

Arsenal have been handed a boost as Sporting Lisbon have lowered their asking price for CB Ousmane Diomande from €80m to €60m [Record]

Sheffield Wednesday are keen on signing 21 year old striker Mika Biereth on loan [The Sheffield Star]

Arsenal hope to command a sizeable fee for Eddie Nketiah this summer [The Athletic]

Arsenal and AC Milan are interested in Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana [Gazzetta]

Thomas Partey’s preference is to stay at Arsenal, but no talks have taken place over a new contract with one year left and the club could consider offers this summer [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Top Bottom