• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bruno Guimarães

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

I very much doubt this, I expect there has been meticulous planning since the summer window shut.

Just because targets aren't available, have had their heads turned by other clubs, we can't clear space in the squad, Stan won't sanction spending or many other reasons doesn't mean there isn't a plan.

Having a plan and having all the pieces fall into place to execute the plan is a very different thing.
So what is his back up plan? Why go to the states?

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I very much doubt this, I expect there has been meticulous planning since the summer window shut.

Just because targets aren't available, have had their heads turned by other clubs, we can't clear space in the squad, Stan won't sanction spending or many other reasons doesn't mean there isn't a plan.

Having a plan and having all the pieces fall into place to execute the plan is a very different thing.
There definitely is, or at least has been, some kind of plan. Vlahovic was the plan for striker, that's pretty clear. The issue is that there doesn't seem to be any real kind of planning going on. I think they were arrogant and couldn't really see a reality where he'd turn us down and now they seem a bit clueless. If they had been doing proper planning they would've identified their backup/-s and quickly moved on to them, but we have 5 days to go and they seem to be stuck.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
There definitely is, or at least has been, some kind of plan. Vlahovic was the plan for striker, that's pretty clear. The issue is that there doesn't seem to be any real kind of planning going on. I think they were arrogant and couldn't really see a reality where he'd turn us down and now they seem a bit clueless. If they had been doing proper planning they would've identified their backup/-s and quickly moved on to them, but we have 5 days to go and they seem to be stuck.
We need to wait until the end of the window but it certainly looks that way. I do actually think they went for the right top target in Vlahovic and it's good that we pulled out everything to try and land him. It's like you say though, where's the back up planning?

Problem is that the striker and midfield situations are pretty much own goals. AFCON was really foreseeable, AMN could have been given me game time etc. Auba's situation has been a big let down, I think Auba has to take the lions share of blame for that but it's on Arteta as well.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
He'd likely going to wait until deadline to see if Arsenal "if we want him" or juve "if they manage to get rid of few midfielders" to sign him

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Reading comments on A-M one often wonders what posters do for a living. Everything is always very clear and easy and there are never any contingencies or multitude of factors that need to be managed.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I totally get what you and others are saying but sometimes there just isn't a backup option. What if they feel that none of the backup options are of the required standard or are overpriced.

I run my own business, sometimes I identify a piece of equipment that will improve my business but if I can't afford that or it is out of stock then I wait until I have the funds or that product or a comparable product is available. I don't just buy something for the sake of it knowing that it won't improve on what I already have.

And to expand on my earlier point, I had a clear plan for my business for this year but due to circumstances beyond my control I won't be able to carry out that plan for 12-18 months, that doesn't mean I haven't got a plan, my plan wasn't sound or am incompetent, sometimes **** just happens.

Goonger

If Bruno is our target, and Arteta really wants him, I think he will come here instead of Newcastle

To be honest, I dont doubt that. Why would he choose Newcastle over us currently? We are London, we aren't in a relegation fight, we have Edu, Gabriel, Martinelli.

The problem is more we don't seem to like him enough to actually bid and commit to going for him.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
If Bruno is our target, and Arteta really wants him, I think he will come here instead of Newcastle
I believe there just an interested but we don't want to make decision we'll wait until summer to assess the midfield situation. That's why we just targeting short term.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I totally get what you and others are saying but sometimes there just isn't a backup option. What if they feel that none of the backup options are of the required standard or are overpriced.

I run my own business, sometimes I identify a piece of equipment that will improve my business but if I can't afford that or it is out of stock then I wait until I have the funds or that product or a comparable product is available. I don't just buy something for the sake of it knowing that it won't improve on what I already have.

And to expand on my earlier point, I had a clear plan for my business for this year but due to circumstances beyond my control I won't be able to carry out that plan for 12-18 months, that doesn't mean I haven't got a plan, my plan wasn't sound or am incompetent, sometimes **** just happens.
Yeah I get what you're saying. I don't own or run a business but could probably still be seen to be in a similar situation so it's relatable. Issue is that you make the comparison of products, which are very rarely completely unique entities, unlike people. Even so, if we were to compare it to products; if you can't obtain your preferred piece of equipment you look around and assess whether there are other pieces of equipment. There's always the right piece and the right now piece. You may think that it's not worth to get the right now one and that's a perfectly viable scenario. But it's not only about improving for the sake of it. In this case there's opportunity cost attached as well in terms of CL qualification and the money, but even more so attractiveness (for players, presumptive fans, sponsors etc) that comes with that. At the beginning of the season I'd be more inclined to agree with your point as I didn't think we were in with a shout for top 4, but the way the season has developed that's not the case anymore and we have to do everything within reason and in line with the long term rebuild plan to maximize our chances to pounce on the opportunity.

If the club really thought before the window that Vlahovic was the only way to improve our attack then that's what it is in terms of recruitment. But then they should really be fired for incompetency. There's never just the one alternative.

At least that's my take from a "run a business" perspective :)

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
Orny report he'll have medical in Brazil if deal go through. It's moving forward for Newcastle.

Seem nobody is interested apart from them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom