• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bruno Guimarães

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Is Luiz rated higher than Guimaraes in his homeland? I'm just wondering because surely Edu of all people will know their games well? They played in the same Olympic team, but Luiz has more senior caps it seems and are roughly same age, Luiz being 6 months younger.
I wouldn’t take Brazilians opinion about Brazilians because players who tend to stay there longer becomes more known and rated. As a country there have hundreds and hundreds young player who leaves with very little football in Brazil and becomes completely unknown. I watch Bruno and I see a right footed xhaka. He would have been great in the summer if we sold xhaka

Goonger

I wouldn’t take Brazilians opinion about Brazilians because players who tend to stay there longer becomes more known and rated. As a country there have hundreds and hundreds young player who leaves with very little football in Brazil and becomes completely unknown. I watch Bruno and I see a right footed xhaka. He would have been great in the summer if we sold xhaka

Did Luiz not leave Brazil before Bruno though, as he was in the City youth setup before moving to Villa.

Just checked, he left Vasco in 2017 to join City, so he would have only been about 18/19.

Im just trying to make a bit of sense of it. I had a nosey on the Villa forum, it seems Luiz has been playing as a 6 under Gerrard but he sees himself more as an 8 as he likes to be more box to box.

Mixed reviews on the Villa forum, some say he's easy replaceable, others say he's their most important midfielder as the midfield seems to fall apart from when he's not playing.

Maybe we need our Villa resident, is it Steve the Villan?

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I don't rate Luiz higher than Guimaraes, based on limited viewing of both, mind. I do like both players as an option.

To throw a new name in the hat: how is Konrad Laimer doing recently? Great pressing machine at 6. Would be happy if we throw money at RB Leipzig for him.
Very good player. He will be one of many good midfielders who will have 12 months left on his deal in the summer and move. He is made for the pl

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Very good player. He will be one of many good midfielders who will have 12 months left on his deal in the summer and move. He is made for the pl
Didn't know his contract situation, that moves him up on my list.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Luiz seems more of a ball winner as oppose to BG who seems more a DLP type. The club may see BG as too similar to Xhaka, so are going for different types: Arthur/Douglas Luiz.
Here's how Luiz compares defensively to all of Europe's midfielders (big 5 league + CL & EL). Apart from blocking shots and pressuring in their defensive 3rd of the pitch he's not prolific in any way

1643277962634.png

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Here's how Luiz compares defensively to all of Europe's midfielders (big 5 league + CL & EL). Apart from blocking shots and pressuring in their defensive 3rd of the pitch he's not prolific in any way

View attachment 5705

Just looking at his basic fbref profile he looks like a pure dm really, similar to Kalvin Philips. A lot of people love Kalvin Phillips, personally I don’t but that’s just personal preference. It’s certainly not a like-for-like replacement for Xhaka.

You look at other diminutive DMs like Bennacer and Caqueret and they seem to do Luiz’s defensive work but with much better passing.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Just looking at his basic fbref profile he looks like a pure dm really, similar to Kalvin Philips. A lot of people love Kalvin Phillips, personally I don’t but that’s just personal preference. It’s certainly not a like-for-like replacement for Xhaka.

You look at other diminutive DMs like Bennacer and Caqueret and they seem to do Luiz’s defensive work but with much better passing.

I've always thought Caqueret is the one to go for from Lyon, great defensively, really agile and press resistant. Could probably play higher up the pitch as well.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I've always thought Caqueret is the one to go for from Lyon, great defensively, really agile and press resistant. Could probably play higher up the pitch as well.

Take a look at Guendouzi’s fbref profile 🤣 he can’t defend obviously but everything else is insane, I will actually hate Arteta to the grave I swear to god.

Tbf to Douglas Luiz, you have a 23 year old CM with roughly 100 pl appearances and cos of his contract he probably wouldn’t be too overpriced, it’s probably not bad value for money.

But we could have had a young CM with 100 pl appearances by now and we wouldn’t have had to spend anything, but this manager prioritises his ego over the welfare of the club.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Take a look at Guendouzi’s fbref profile 🤣 he can’t defend obviously but everything else is insane, I will actually hate Arteta to the grave I swear to god.

Tbf to Douglas Luiz, you have a 23 year old CM with roughly 100 pl appearances and cos of his contract he probably wouldn’t be too overpriced, it’s probably not bad value for money.

But we could have had a young CM with 100 pl appearances by now and we wouldn’t have had to spend anything, but this manager prioritises his ego over the welfare of the club.
Agree that he looks halfway decent, but he's a numbers signing at best. Why are Villa letting him go and signing Bentacur (who all the Juve fans seem to rate less than Arthur)? Get that he's a different profile player but I'd probably rather Lokonga had the minutes to develop properly.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Agree that he looks halfway decent, but he's a numbers signing at best. Why are Villa letting him go and signing Bentacur (who all the Juve fans seem to rate less than Arthur)? Get that he's a different profile player but I'd probably rather Lokonga had the minutes to develop properly.

I like Lokonga more than most but even I can see he’s so far from being a finished article. We bought Douzi younger and cheaper and he adapted immediately to the league. Sorry i can’t even address your point directly I just get blinded by rage every time I think of what happened with Guendouzi.

I might actually go into a coma if we end up selling Saliba yknow.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I like Lokonga more than most but even I can see he’s so far from being a finished article. We bought Douzi younger and cheaper and he adapted immediately to the league. Sorry i can’t even address your point directly I just get blinded by rage every time I think of what happened with Guendouzi.

I might actually go into a coma if we end up selling Saliba yknow.
Haha I'm totally with you on both of those points. The Guendouzi situation seemed unnecessary and Saliba makes me angry because I think he has insane potential.

Arteta obviously has tried to make a point on discipline, and I agree with some of his battles on this, but surely younger players need a way back as well. The squad is so thin at the moment.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Haha I'm totally with you on both of those points. The Guendouzi situation seemed unnecessary and Saliba makes me angry because I think he has insane potential.

Arteta obviously has tried to make a point on discipline, and I agree with some of his battles on this, but surely younger players need a way back as well. The squad is so thin at the moment.

His whole approach has been “I will make this sacrificial lamb for the long term good” and it’s like that’s just not how discipline works, humans are flawed, Fergie was tough but he didn’t just exile talented players cos they misbehaved.

I so want this club to get better but then I remember all the stupid wounds it voluntarily inflicts on itself and I’m like nah you can rot in mid table a bit longer lol

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
His whole approach has been “I will make this sacrificial lamb for the long term good” and it’s like that’s just not how discipline works, humans are flawed, Fergie was tough but he didn’t just exile talented players cos they misbehaved.

I so want this club to get better but then I remember all the stupid wounds it voluntarily inflicts on itself and I’m like nah you can rot in mid table a bit longer lol
Fergie sold one of the best CBs (Stam) in the league partly because of what he published in his autobiography. It wasn't the only reason but it certainly didn't make Fergie want to fight hard to keep him. He didn't fight to keep Beckham. He fell out with RVN and moved him on. Also Keane, who was coming to the end of his career but still had something to offer, was kicked out because of his behaviour and criticism of the team.

Fergie had a no nonsense approach which gained him respect. He didn't let players turn up 20 minutes late for a Manchester derby and treat Old Trafford like a hotel just coming and going when it suited.

9jagooner

Also Fergie in the period, won several league games/titles, FACups, Champions league. In essence, Fergie could do that because the fans trusted him that it was the right decision.
They lost Beckham, but brought in Ronaldo. Jaap Stam left and they got Vidic and Rio. If Fergie had finished fifth or eight the season after Beckham left, I am not sure we will be saying same thing today.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Fergie sold one of the best CBs (Stam) in the league partly because of what he published in his autobiography. It wasn't the only reason but it certainly didn't make Fergie want to fight hard to keep him. He didn't fight to keep Beckham. He fell out with RVN and moved him on. Also Keane, who was coming to the end of his career but still had something to offer, was kicked out because of his behaviour and criticism of the team.

Fergie had a no nonsense approach which gained him respect. He didn't let players turn up 20 minutes late for a Manchester derby and treat Old Trafford like a hotel just coming and going when it suited.

Fergie got good value out of all those players apart from Stam, and you’re talking about a few players over 27 years, we’re talking about a few players over 3 years, it is simply not acceptable management.

Douzi was immature but a lot of men just develop late in their 20s, AM thinking Douzi was the most intolerable guy when there must be tons of immature young millionaires in the PL, their clubs just protect them more.

He came here from Ligue 2 as a teenager and within 12 months he was one of the most valuable young players in Europe, he was one of our most successful transfers post-Wenger by a distance.

And the great irony is that the incident which triggered his exile is the very thing that showed why he was so valuable. I’d give ten Lokongas for one Guendouzi.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Also Fergie in the period, won several league games/titles, FACups, Champions league. In essence, Fergie could do that because the fans trusted him that it was the right decision.
They lost Beckham, but brought in Ronaldo. Jaap Stam left and they got Vidic and Rio. If Fergie had finished fifth or eight the season after Beckham left, I am not sure we will be saying same thing today.
If you want order as a manager you can't start soft and then go hard (as weird as that sounds). You have to set your stall out from day one.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Fergie got good value out of all those players apart from Stam, and you’re talking about a few players over 27 years, we’re talking about a few players over 3 years, it is simply not acceptable management.

Douzi was immature but a lot of men just develop late in their 20s, AM thinking Douzi was the most intolerable guy when there must be tons of immature young millionaires in the PL, their clubs just protect them more.

He came here from Ligue 2 as a teenager and within 12 months he was one of the most valuable young players in Europe, he was one of our most successful transfers post-Wenger by a distance.

And the great irony is that the incident which triggered his exile is the very thing that showed why he was so valuable. I’d give ten Lokongas for one Guendouzi.
We aren't talking about a few players. We are talking 3 or 4 world class players.

At Arsenal we are talking about Guendouzi (who I like as a player I would have kept him), and Auba. Özil situation was as it was.

Saliba was sent on loan as he was deemed not ready. That one is the one that baffles me. A bad call from Arteta and could cost us.

But if by making an example of one or two players who are doing unprofessional things keeps the rest in line then I'm all for it.

If Henderson was allowed special leave by Klopp and told to be back on a particular day he would be back on time.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
We aren't talking about a few players. We are talking 3 or 4 world class players.

At Arsenal we are talking about Guendouzi (who I like as a player I would have kept him), and Auba. Özil situation was as it was.

Saliba was sent on loan as he was deemed not ready. That one is the one that baffles me. A bad call from Arteta and could cost us.

But if by making an example of one or two players who are doing unprofessional things keeps the rest in line then I'm all for it.

That’s 4 players, could add AMN to the mix as well tbh.

Why don’t we hear stories like this from other clubs, how do they maintain discipline without exiling players all the time? Do they just have better behaved players or do their managers find a way to enforce discipline without setting fire to a player’s value.

Players are assets, Arteta is a bad asset manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom