• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Build an AM all time XI: Goalkeeper

Best GK?

• Total voters

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
You're correct, he was great for them, but it always felt it was not recognized that much (in media) due to the size of the club. It was regarded quite the step back.

Was there other interest in him at the time? Obviously Fulham where spending good money back then but surely Van Gaal would've taken him to Barca or something like that?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

I always had a soft spot for Fulham ever since VDS played there. Great stat-padding club as well.

Nice club, tbf.

Great keeper is VDS, was so jealous when United had him and we had Almunia :lol:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

From growing up until even just a few years ago Buffon was always no.1 so I'll go with him.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

You're correct, he was great for them, but it always felt it was not recognized that much (in media) due to the size of the club. It was regarded quite the step back.

Wouldn’t happen today unfortunately.

Absolutely loved it how it was a valid career move to take a step and rebuild.

There wasn’t about 8 clubs in the world who would buy top players and stick them on the bench.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Peter Shilton for me. He would have come close to 200 England caps if Clemence wasn't also exceptional.

The ones on the list, probably Buffon.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Peter Shilton loses out to me, for somehow being outjumped by Maradona for his famous handball, despite having a foot advantage on him.

And also for not being able to let it go, even though it was his error, more than anything...even when Diego passed away, Shilton was still being weird when talking about him.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Never rated Casillas as highly as some seem to rate him.

The sad thing is a lot of these keepers would be obsolete in today’s game. Not really a fan of how the game has evolved.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Buffon for me. Oozed class and calmess. Longevity and just had an air of greatness.

The fact that Juve got relegated and instead of running away looking for an excuse to get out of the **** Juve got themselves in, he stayed put and embraced the challenge.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Peter Shilton loses out to me, for somehow being outjumped by Maradona for his famous handball, despite having a foot advantage on him.

And also for not being able to let it go, even though it was his error, more than anything...even when Diego passed away, Shilton was still being weird when talking about him.
I guess I don't really care about that as a Welshman, I was supporting Diego and the Argies that day!

Still the best keeper I've ever seen, one of only 2 keepers to ever win PFA player of the year, probably being the most influential player in Forest winning 2 league championships and European cups. His longevity was incredible, only matched by Buffon, he was a colossal presence until his mid 40's.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Great thread. Neuer for me. The guy is the most complete keeper I've ever seen. Elite on the ball, elite off his line, elite command of his box, elite shot stopped, proper leader. Must be the keeper that's ranked highest in the Balon Dor as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom