• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bukayo Saka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
For what I’ve seen of the two Nelson’s profile seems to have been misrepresented. Nelson looks similar to Iwobi in that he’s more of a passer. Where’s Saka will just keeping running at defenders directly.

Interesting to know how we should manage him now, do you look to him over Nelson in the league, under more pressure. Or continue growing his confidence against lesser teams of the EL?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
For what I’ve seen of the two Nelson’s profile seems to have been misrepresented. Nelson looks similar to Iwobi in that he’s more of a passer. Where’s Saka will just keeping running at defenders directly.

Interesting to know how we should manage him now, do you look to him over Nelson in the league, under more pressure. Or continue growing his confidence against lesser teams of the EL?
Nelson's always been a great dribble at youth level so it's been heralded as his best quality but for me I think his biggest potential is as a goalscoring player with final product. He can play combination football very well like Iwobi so I can see the comparison.

I think Saka is a player who responds well to bigger challenges whereas Nelson despite outgrowing levels takes a while to acclimatize to a new one. Once there, hes impossible to deal with. Saka hits the ground running. Has done it at every level so far. Much like Nketiah. Nelson strikes me as a player with a more playful personality, needs to be confident and happy with his football. Not that he isn't hungry, but a different, more jovial personality - guys like Saka and Nketiah are steely players with real driven attitudes that come across in the way they play.

One common thread they all have is the need to control the ball often. The more touches they get, the more they are in the game and do well. As much as off the ball work is needed, taking advantage of this strength by coaching more possession football would be optimal. Saka thrived the more he saw the ball last night. Nelson is the same, often doing better when he drifts central and combines. AMN, Willock, Nketiah also.

For me, I think letting Saka cook in the EL is the wise decision but given his propensity to raise his game higher in a short space of time, its not a bad idea giving him a bigger test.

9jagooner

I think we should take it easy with the hype. Keown said this about Nelson just two years ago:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...Keown-hails-Reiss-Nelson-compares-Neymar.html

From my previous posts, I am not a big fan of Pepe (I do hope he does well given that he plays for us now) but comparing Saka to Pepe now is taking things overboard. Let the young boy continue to learn in these games and at U23 level. Depending on his development, at end of season, we see if he is ready to go on loan or given the fact that we are a bit short in the left department, keep him as back up to an established left attacker (I am hoping we will get one in January or later on).

One thing that looks certain though given what we've seen of Emery, one of him or Nelson will be sold/loaned out come January or next summer.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think we should take it easy with the hype. Keown said this about Nelson just two years ago:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...Keown-hails-Reiss-Nelson-compares-Neymar.html

From my previous posts, I am not a big fan of Pepe (I do hope he does well given that he plays for us now) but comparing Saka to Pepe now is taking things overboard. Let the young boy continue to learn in these games and at U23 level. Depending on his development, at end of season, we see if he is ready to go on loan or given the fact that we are a bit short in the left department, keep him as back up to an established left attacker (I am hoping we will get one in January or later on).

One thing that looks certain though given what we've seen of Emery, one of him or Nelson will be sold/loaned out come January or next summer.
I agree, Keown jumping the gun there. I didn't appreciate the comments about Pepe. Saka has to cook for a little longer. Emery would be stupid to sell either of them though.

9jagooner

I agree, Keown jumping the gun there. I didn't appreciate the comments about Pepe. Saka has to cook for a little longer. Emery would be stupid to sell either of them though.
I wouldn't agree with selling either too. But with the sale of Iwobi (who I think we sold one season too early), Nacho and Mkhitarian's loan move and possible eventual sale, then history last season too (Cazorla, Wilshere, etc) it seems to me that with Emery, you're either able to contribute now or you're not. At the moment, we have Saka, Nelson, Martinelli and even Auba able to play on the left. Three of those are young and will want to play at some point. Maybe we can push Nelson to the right where he's played well for us in the past (not sure which he prefers) but we'll see what Emery will do.
There are a lot of games now but these will greatly reduce by February 2020 so more bench places for these players

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I wouldn't agree with selling either too. But with the sale of Iwobi (who I think we sold one season too early), Nacho and Mkhitarian's loan move and possible eventual sale, then history last season too (Cazorla, Wilshere, etc) it seems to me that with Emery, you're either able to contribute now or you're not. At the moment, we have Saka, Nelson, Martinelli and even Auba able to play on the left. Three of those are young and will want to play at some point. Maybe we can push Nelson to the right where he's played well for us in the past (not sure which he prefers) but we'll see what Emery will do.
There are a lot of games now but these will greatly reduce by February 2020 so more bench places for these players

It's quite possible that if we didn't sell Iwobi & loan Mkhi, Saka would not have had this performance yesterday. It was the risk.

Nelson & ESR have not performed very well yet, but Saka has (in a tough away game), and then there is Martinelli who has not had his chance yet. So this far the risk has paid off in my view, but it's early.

I'm pretty sure ESR will be good when remembering his performances before his injuries. Nelson might need more time, or just some points to get confidence.

I'm very sure they won't sell Hale End players who have many years in their contracts. Such players can be assumed to have loyalty that any other player would not.

So the plan will be to loan some them for a year or two, and see if they can prosper.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan

I don't think that's on Emery and he probably doesn't make the final decision on these things. Mkhi played in the NLD and was then shipped off 24 hours later. I also read a rumor somewhere that he didn't want Nacho to be sold before the derby.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Saka about Ljunjberg (sp)

"He's been with me since I was 15 and seen me do amazing things, but he always tells me to stay humble and keep working hard because he really thinks I can be a top player. He's been a player before so he understands how I would feel. He's played in my position and it’s just so good to have him there, an Arsenal legend giving me advice. There's not much more I can ask for."

"He was teaching me some tactics but I can't quite remember what he was saying because he does give me a lot of information
. He’s been a big part in my progress."

on the too much information part

You can take it easy on the hype all you want.

I just posted the link because he is praising Saka for yesterday performance.

I agree, Keown jumping the gun there.

Am I missing something here or what? I thought Keown was talking about that Saka played better than Pepe in yesterday game which is just a good praise for the kid. What gun is he jumping?

The quotes

‘They toil away, trying to get young players in and they’ve found one in Saka,’ Keown told BT Sport. ‘You think of the way Pepe is playing at the minute, they paid £72m for him and this kid looked better than him tonight.

and

‘When Saka gets the ball [for the second goal], it shows composure, he’s passing it into the goal, it’s a beautiful finish. To think he’s 18 years of age.’

I don't think Saka is ready for PL yet. Maybe a subs performances when we learn to hold onto 2 goal lead. But he can have EL and Cariboo Cup games for sure if he keeps it up!

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I don't think Saka is ready for PL yet. Maybe a subs performances when we learn to hold onto 2 goal lead. But he can have EL and Cariboo Cup games for sure if he keeps it up!

Well to be honest I was thinking the same thing during the match . Saka got a gift you can't teach , h hasn't got the flair of Nelson , Pepe but he's got that ability to be uncomplicate things and affect the game he actually reminds me of Sterling at the same age except he is a better finisher .

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Nah, I'm tired of CMs at 10. Let the expert do it. Ceballos should play as well but deeper.

I agree. I’m saying retire the number 10 role and play a third CM deeper. We’re too wide open. It’s not an essential role.

If you play a number 10 like Özil, you need two midfielders behind who are very strong defensively, otherwise you’ll counter attacked at will. As we’ve seen.

If we play with two wingers either side of Auba we’ll create a lot more chances AND be better defensively than with Özil, because they’ll Stretch defences laterally up front, whilst allowing our full backs to do more defending.

9jagooner

It's quite possible that if we didn't sell Iwobi & loan Mkhi, Saka would not have had this performance yesterday. It was the risk.

Nelson & ESR have not performed very well yet, but Saka has (in a tough away game), and then there is Martinelli who has not had his chance yet. So this far the risk has paid off in my view, but it's early.
You're right in terms of Saka getting a chance but I am looking at the whole season rather than a few games. Over the course of a season, I'm not sure Saka will contribute much especially in EPL games which is why I think Iwobi was sold a season early. I think we should have waited to either get a player in or developed a player from the ranks in that role before selling. I am not sure we managed any player to fill the Iwobi role last season. We want to do better than we did last season (reach final of Europa and finish at worst top 5).

Any ways, this is me talking from the outside. I don't know what's going on on the training ground or in the manager's head.

9jagooner

I don't think that's on Emery and he probably doesn't make the final decision on these things. Mkhi played in the NLD and was then shipped off 24 hours later. I also read a rumor somewhere that he didn't want Nacho to be sold before the derby.
Oh ok. I don't have inside information so difficult to agree/not agree with you. But my point is still valid though. Whoever is making these decisions doesn't seem to have room for keeping too many players in same role.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

You're right in terms of Saka getting a chance but I am looking at the whole season rather than a few games. Over the course of a season, I'm not sure Saka will contribute much especially in EPL games which is why I think Iwobi was sold a season early. I think we should have waited to either get a player in or developed a player from the ranks in that role before selling. I am not sure we managed any player to fill the Iwobi role last season. We want to do better than we did last season (reach final of Europa and finish at worst top 5).

Any ways, this is me talking from the outside. I don't know what's going on on the training ground or in the manager's head.

I understand and it was a risk. We are a bit short, but if any of the youth cannot perform, we can buy someone in January. We have 4 good youth players capable of playing the wings.

Iwobi's point per game from 1st season in EPL were, 1st (only 630 minutes) point per 157, then 2nd 183, 3rd 230 and last 197. Last was 3+7=10, which was most points in season and most minutes.

That really isn't very good output or the kind of trajectory Arsenal wants. It's not development, it's stagnation. And he isn't a winger really, which is what we needed more.

His worth would have dipped if these youth guys would have gone past him this season and he wouldn't have played so much. Mostly he would have been a sub when the top three is usually Auba-Laca-Pepe.

Last edited:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I agree. I’m saying retire the number 10 role and play a third CM deeper. We’re too wide open. It’s not an essential role.

If you play a number 10 like Özil, you need two midfielders behind who are very strong defensively, otherwise you’ll counter attacked at will. As we’ve seen.

If we play with two wingers either side of Auba we’ll create a lot more chances AND be better defensively than with Özil, because they’ll Stretch defences laterally up front, whilst allowing our full backs to do more defending.
Should be how we do it. Two wide men and a central striker. One holding midfielder with two box to box midfielders.

I'd really like to see a midfield of Ceballos Chambers Torreira as I think that's the closest we get to that blend at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom