• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bukayo Saka: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

9jagooner

I understand and it was a risk. We are a bit short, but if any of the youth cannot perform, we can buy someone in January. We have 4 good youth players capable of playing the wings.

Iwobi's point per game from 1st season in EPL were, 1st (only 630 minutes) point per 157, then 2nd 183, 3rd 230 and last 197. Last was 3+7=10, which was most points in season and most minutes.

That really isn't very good output or the kind of trajectory Arsenal wants. It's not development, it's stagnation. And he isn't a winger really, which is what we needed more.

His worth would have dipped if these youth guys would have gone past him this season and he wouldn't have played so much. Mostly he would have been a sub when the top three is usually Auba-Laca-Pepe.
You're right re:Iwobi which is why I agree he should be sold but only a year later. I see your point about his value dipping in that one year and agree.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Nelson's always been a great dribble at youth level so it's been heralded as his best quality but for me I think his biggest potential is as a goalscoring player with final product. He can play combination football very well like Iwobi so I can see the comparison.

I think Saka is a player who responds well to bigger challenges whereas Nelson despite outgrowing levels takes a while to acclimatize to a new one. Once there, hes impossible to deal with. Saka hits the ground running. Has done it at every level so far. Much like Nketiah. Nelson strikes me as a player with a more playful personality, needs to be confident and happy with his football. Not that he isn't hungry, but a different, more jovial personality - guys like Saka and Nketiah are steely players with real driven attitudes that come across in the way they play.

One common thread they all have is the need to control the ball often. The more touches they get, the more they are in the game and do well. As much as off the ball work is needed, taking advantage of this strength by coaching more possession football would be optimal. Saka thrived the more he saw the ball last night. Nelson is the same, often doing better when he drifts central and combines. AMN, Willock, Nketiah also.

For me, I think letting Saka cook in the EL is the wise decision but given his propensity to raise his game higher in a short space of time, its not a bad idea giving him a bigger test.
Fantastic read and insight

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
You're right in terms of Saka getting a chance but I am looking at the whole season rather than a few games. Over the course of a season, I'm not sure Saka will contribute much especially in EPL games which is why I think Iwobi was sold a season early. I think we should have waited to either get a player in or developed a player from the ranks in that role before selling. I am not sure we managed any player to fill the Iwobi role last season. We want to do better than we did last season (reach final of Europa and finish at worst top 5).

Any ways, this is me talking from the outside. I don't know what's going on on the training ground or in the manager's head.

Iwobi contributed 3 goals and 6 assists in 35 games last season. Saka in one match, is a goal and 4 assists shy of that total.

This boy is ready, trust me.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
With a defence like ours and attacking fullbacks?

We did it before with Cazorla and we played our best football cause we need someone who can be creative from the centre role. think when Bellerin and Tierney will be back it should be possible yes.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You're right in terms of Saka getting a chance but I am looking at the whole season rather than a few games. Over the course of a season, I'm not sure Saka will contribute much especially in EPL games which is why I think Iwobi was sold a season early. I think we should have waited to either get a player in or developed a player from the ranks in that role before selling. I am not sure we managed any player to fill the Iwobi role last season. We want to do better than we did last season (reach final of Europa and finish at worst top 5).

Any ways, this is me talking from the outside. I don't know what's going on on the training ground or in the manager's head.

Debatable whether Saka would have even have started on Thursday had Iwobi been here. Either he or Rowe definitely would’ve been on the bench.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Iwobi contributed 3 goals and 6 assists in 35 games last season. Saka in one match, is a goal and 4 assists shy of that total.

This boy is ready, trust me.

Ah, Transfermarkt ****ery again, it says 3+7 in EPL last season.

I think saying he played 35 games is misleading, because according to Transfermarkt he played 1968 minutes.

35 x 90 = 3150 minutes.

And Saka hasn't played in EPL yet? I'm not saying he is not ready, just some points. Starting in EPL could be tough, but Frankfurt is no joke either.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Think he could become the perfect player (the right profile at least) to get the best out of someone like Aubameyang with his pace and crossing ability. Auba is someone thrives on those low/medium height crosses usually delivered from the more out and out winger types like Saka, Dembele and Sane and we haven’t really had that since he arrived at the club.

Get Arteta in and let him work on Saka the same way he worked on Sterling and we might a top player on our hands

Beast Incarnate

Let's not heap too much pressure on the kid like our fans have done to players in the past.

He played well, but he's still developing. Let him carry on making Europa League/League Cup games this season.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Mulling this over - I think the kid is ready, some players just have "it", they make you sit up and take notice when they have the ball.

I agree. His decision making struck me most. When and where to release the ball. His pass into Willock with his right peg looked simple- but it was weighted nicely and timed to perfection.

This was Frankfurt btw. A tough German team on their home patch. Madrid and Juventus they are not but they’re tough opposition.

He’s ready. Get him in.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I agree. His decision making struck me most. When and where to release the ball. His pass into Willock with his right peg looked simple- but it was weighted nicely and timed to perfection.

This was Frankfurt btw. A tough German team on their home patch. Madrid and Juventus they are not but they’re tough opposition.

He’s ready. Get him in.
Fearlessness too, the ability to go into a duel with a defender and explode out of it, or strike that curler as hard as he did without trying to be safe with it. It makes such a difference.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He gives us balance also. Less reliant on Kola overlapping when Saka has a superior final ball.

When you consider that he is about 5 years away from actually being in his proper man body, his current strength on the ball is actually insane.

One part of me says let him grow in the cups. The other part of me which is louder says, there is a massive gap on our left hand side and he has a very good understanding with Auba. Auba clearly loves when he plays and loves having Pepe on the other side. Sterling was playing on the wings at the same age. Just throw him in.

It's time to reward good play. Why should Guendouzi start over Willock?

Play a double pivot of Xhaka and Willock. Play Ceballos in front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom