• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bukayo Saka: Little Chilli

Is Bukayo Saka...

• a GOOD inverted right-winger

Votes: 16 12.8%
  • a GREAT inverted right-winger

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • the GREATEST inverted right-winger

Votes: 66 52.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I hate deciding games, especially important finals, by penalty shoot outs too - there will be so many other missed chances, botched tackles, goalkeeper howlers etc etc and yet the whole game hangs on a final missed penalty, and everyone forgets the other times the game could have been won and lost

there must be a better way

blaze_of_glory

I hate deciding games, especially important finals, by penalty shoot outs too - there will be so many other missed chances, botched tackles, goalkeeper howlers etc etc and yet the whole game hangs on a final missed penalty, and everyone forgets the other times the game could have been won and lost

It's awful. The actual match was a draw, and then you play a whole new type of game to see who gets the trophy or advances, etc.

It's like playing tidly-winks to decide who gets to be the winner of a chess match.

Elwood

People have actually been murdered in Colombia over penalty misses. When Baggio missed in 1994 the Italian angels who everyone was rooting for yesterday vandalized his house and sent him death threats for weeks. The idea that hooligans, racism or despicable behavior over sporting results are uniquely English is offensive and absurd. I'm not excusing the vile behavior aimed at our lads, I can't say what I think should be done to people who behave like that here. It is however not unique to England.
Yeah people love to generalize. Only one of my friends and I were rooting for England, everyone else doesn't like you lot because arrogance, bla bla, etc. Like bro there's 60 million people there, and everyone's unique.

Also, about the online abuse: I know it's easy to say, but no one should care what some random troll has to say, and hopefully Saka knows that. He's a smart kid, he'll be alright.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
People have actually been murdered in Colombia over penalty misses. When Baggio missed in 1994 the Italian angels who everyone was rooting for yesterday vandalized his house and sent him death threats for weeks. The idea that hooligans, racism or despicable behavior over sporting results are uniquely English is offensive and absurd. I'm not excusing the vile behavior aimed at our lads, I can't say what I think should be done to people who behave like that here. It is however not unique to England.
My point about the England and penalties, is the fact we've lost so many crucial ones against the bigger teams, it shouldn't come as any surprise.

However we still make a big deal out of it. There was no way we were going to beat Italy on pens with domarumama in goal.

We could've taken Italy in the 90mins if we stepped it up earlier in the second half. As English conditions you can get for a football tournament, also at Wembley with a home crowd.

Southgate proved to be a novice manager I believe he isn't the right manager, as cheilini put it, when you have foden, grealish, Sancho on the bench and still can't win, it's an indictment on southgates management.

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone 📲
My point about the England and penalties, is the fact we've lost so many crucial ones against the bigger teams, it shouldn't come as any surprise.

However we still make a big deal out of it. There was no way we were going to beat Italy on pens with domarumama in goal.

We could've taken Italy in the 90mins if we stepped it up earlier in the second half. As English conditions you can get for a football tournament, also at Wembley with a home crowd.

Southgate proved to be a novice manager I believe he isn't the right manager, as cheilini put it, when you have foden, grealish, Sancho on the bench and still can't win, it's an indictment on southgates management.
Southgate had a really well put line-up and tactics until the 50 minute mark where Mancini made his subs. That's where Southgate's inexperience kicked in and he didn't react on the loss of match control. He was too late with the Hendy and Saka sub. Even later with the Graelish for Mount as Mount was nowhere to be seen.

To me personally it was a duel between 2 coaches: experienced coach vs a novice, he got schooled.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba

Right, that's all true but you have cretins from a bunch of different nations who are waiting to pounce on players if they "fail" because of an already existing bias. Nobody who abused Saka, Rashford or Sancho did so because they missed a penalty. The miss was an excuse to let vitriol out that they harbor 24/7. Just like the Italian scumbag who racially abused Moise Kean only for that degenerate Bonucci to defend the abuser didn't do so over him celebrating too provocatively. All these elements exist in these various countries because of ignorance and governments that would rather maintain this level of ignorance as a card to play to distract from their own shortcomings. It's a global societal problem, not an English one. Everything you said in terms of what happened on the pitch is spot on though.

Batman

Yeah people love to generalize. Only one of my friends and I were rooting for England, everyone else doesn't like you lot because arrogance, bla bla, etc. Like bro there's 60 million people there, and everyone's unique.

Also, about the online abuse: I know it's easy to say, but no one should care what some random troll has to say, and hopefully Saka knows that. He's a smart kid, he'll be alright.
Look I can understand a myriad of people not liking England for a myriad of reasons. The horrors of colonization spring to mind. I get all that. Personally, I'm proud of my heritage and I accept the bad parts and I celebrate the good. I just don't like this narrative that this is the only nation capable of poor behavior amongst football supporters. There are very few blameless nations in that regard. I agree with you on the online abuse. I've had a few racist comments aimed my way and I've always been able to laugh them off because fortunately I've got pretty thick skin and I've just never really worried about the opinions of anyone who isn't in my circle. That said, I recognize that others may be more sensitive than I am and the sheer volume of abuse these lads get as a result of their fame must be staggering at times. I'd like to think they don't take it to heart but they may and it's despicable that a climate even exists where that's a concern.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Looking back at the foul on Saka, that should have been a red on Chiellini. Even in the NFL that would be a penalty (personal foul) for a horse collar tackle. It really can injure a player. Worst injury I have seen from such a tackle was Gerald Willhite from the Denver Broncos in the 80s who broke his leg in two places, and suffered a dislocated ankle. It was absolutely stomach churning to watch that. Since then those tackles have been outlawed given how dangerous they are.

Batman

Looking back at the foul on Saka, that should have been a red on Chiellini. Even in the NFL that would be a penalty (personal foul) for a horse collar tackle. It really can injure a player. Worst injury I have seen from such a tackle was Gerald Willhite from the Denver Broncos in the 80s who broke his leg in two places, and suffered a dislocated ankle. It was absolutely stomach churning to watch that. Since then those tackles have been outlawed given how dangerous they are.
That's the funny thing about the narrative of our players versus theirs. Chiesa goes down like he's been shot when nobody touched him and then Chiellini commits an assault on Saka who doesn't make a meal of it but we're the divers somehow? I just wish the game was called based on what actually happened rather than the story being told in print and social media. Chiellini should have been off. We may still have lost on penalties in the end but things like that shouldn't be allowed to happen without consequence.

Alexs

There is. To win the game in extra time. Especially if you're England. With Donnarumma in the opposing goal.

Sancho and Rashford come on earlier to try to win, not at the last minute to take pens. Gutted for Saka like all of us but he can take solace from the fact that only the very best players miss important penalties.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Italy would have been very happy to take it to pens in extra time and backed themselves with Donnarumma. I can’t believe how good he has become… he was error prone in his early years (although he was super young). Looks like the true heir to Gigi Buffon now.

Southgate needed to have gone hell for leather in extra time even if it meant conceding. Hope these lessons are learnt in time for the World Cup.

Although this is crap for Bukayo at this stage in his career, I really have no doubt this will make him an even tougher player. Some players thrive off this sort of adversity to make themselves even better… think Saka will take it upon himself to do that

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Having the confidence to step is a great thing and I love that Southgate has so much faith in him.

Hopefully this brings him back angry next season and he plays with more aggression now. Also he needs to start scoring snd assisting more, but I see this fuelling him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom