• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bukayo Saka: Saka The Net

Is Saka a world class player?

• Yes definitely

Votes: 50 37.3%
  • Close, he’ll get there soon

Votes: 66 49.3%
  • No no at all

Votes: 18 13.4%

• Total voters

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

As others have pointed Saka's not going to get any quicker or overly develop physically from here. He doesn't need to.

You don't peak as a footballer at 21 unless you're heavily reliant on your physical attributes, particularly pace and /or you suffer terrible injuries. Michael Owen is a good example of that.

Saka will become a better player just through repetition and experience. He's not fundamentally a different player now than he was at 18-19. He's improved aspects of his game but he's still the same core player.
There's no reason that in 2-3 years time we won't be looking back on him today in the same way.
But take that argument in reverse and I see where @Maybe is coming from.

Take Vini Jr for example, he’s performing at a similar level to Saka but is still quite raw in his decision making at times and can be a bit one footed at times. But his acceleration is absolutely elite, he’s a brilliant space/shot creator. I look at him and see easy room for improvement, stuff that could add a big chunk to his GA.

With Saka I can’t see any easy room for improvement. We can all agree he’s playing at a WC level yet he’s on about 20GA for the season.

Geo is confident he can be a 40 GA player but I can’t think of a winger that’s hit those numbers while being involved in build up without insane natural talent or physical attributes. I feel like those numbers are reserved for guys who don’t get as involved in the game as much as Saka does, except freaks like Neymar and Messi. But if you give Saka that kind of off the ball role you’re taking away an elite part of his game (I do think he could hit those numbers in a end product focused role though).

Even a generational player like Hazard didn’t hit those numbers. Maybe that’s who I can see Saka emulating. I hope nobody’s going to find a way to be offended by an Eden Hazard comparison? :lol:

Last edited:

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka

Take Vini Jr for example, he’s performing at a similar level to Saka but is still quite raw in his decision making at times and can be a bit one footed at times. But his acceleration is absolutely elite, he’s a brilliant space/shot creator. I look at him and see easy room for improvement, stuff that could add a big chunk to his GA.

With Saka I can’t see any easy room for improvement. We can all agree he’s playing at a WC level yet he’s on about 20GA for the season.

Geo is confident he can be a 40 GA player but I can’t think of a winger that’s hit those numbers without insane natural talent or physical attributes. I feel like those numbers are reserved for guys who don’t get as involved in the game as much as Saka does (except freaks like Neymar and Messi). But if you give Saka that kind of off the ball role you’re taking away an elite part of his game.

Even a generational player like Hazard didn’t hit those numbers. Maybe that’s who I can see Saka emulating. I hope nobody’s going to find a way to be offended by an Eden Hazard comparison? :lol:
Saka this season is already about to surpass Hazards best numbers in the EPL. So he def has a higher end product potential than Hazard. Although Hazard was more naturally gifted. But also remember Hazard played on some pretty defensive Chelsea teams. I think the attacking potential of this Arsenal team has not even scratched the surface. Martinelli, Saka, Ødegaard, Jesus, ESR, Nelson and Vieira all have room for improvement and can still synergize even more with each other. I don't even think the current version of Saka is world class. To me a world class player is 11-13 version of RVP. That's a superstar! Or the 13/14 version of Suarez. Even the 07-09 version of Torres. Don't even have to mention some of Henry's best years.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice

Geo is confident he can be a 40 GA player but I can’t think of a winger that’s hit those numbers without insane natural talent or physical attributes. I feel like those numbers are reserved for guys who don’t get as involved in the game as much as Saka does, except freaks like Neymar and Messi. But if you give Saka that kind of off the ball role you’re taking away an elite part of his game (I do think he could hit those numbers in a end product focused role though).

Well I don't really want to put a number on the level of GA Saka can reach because it seems like whenever any of us try to put a ceiling on him he goes and exceeds it.

If Saka ends up hitting 40GA for a couple of seasons running you're looking at one of the best wide men in the history of the PL. That's a massive mountain to climb. I think if he can get close to that it will depend on how the whole team develops over the next few years. Unless you're Messi or Mbappe you don't put up those kind of numbers by yourself.

I think Saka does have insane natural talent but in his head rather than crazy physical attributes like pace. But he's no slouch in that department either, whether through skill or pace he doesn't have issues beating a man so I don't see that being an issue really.

I think sometimes we sleep a bit of Saka's quality and output because he's kind of a repetitive player ( I think he can expand his game quite a bit still as a RW) but he's already surpassed Freddie's best ever output for a season and will beat Pires' with a couple more GA this season. These guys are legends and played for our greatest ever side and Saka's going to have a better individual season than either of them and probably very comfortably. That's pretty insane.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Saka's production will also depend on the evolution of the team. When Salah hit that insane 32 goal season, wasn't he pretty much operating in central areas as opposed to being out wide? Bukayo stays pretty wide in our system for the most part, I could see him hit 20G if he operated more centrally but that would depend on how Arteta wants to set up the attacking phase.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Lies. You were an ESR fanboy, but I'll give up credit for hyping Saka as number 2 after ESR. Even beloved @MutableEarth was hyping Amaechi over Saka cause he is lighter skinned and the ladies find him more handsome smh.
Ngl Amaechi moved me, I really thought we birthed Robben’s son. Last I heard Amaechi was struggling to get starts in German 2nd division. Player development is a crazy thing. One day you could be the best 16-year-old in world football, and then at 21 you could be looking for an accounting apprenticeship because of a double ACL injury.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Saka's production will also depend on the evolution of the team. When Salah hit that insane 32 goal season, wasn't he pretty much operating in central areas as opposed to being out wide? Bukayo stays pretty wide in our system for the most part, I could see him hit 20G if he operated more centrally but that would depend on how Arteta wants to set up the attacking phase.
Yep. I think the right-back position could elevate Saka to new heights. Almost all of the top wide forwards had support from elite attacking fullbacks. Messi and Alves, Ronaldo and Marcelo, Ribery and Alaba, Salah and Trent, Mane and Robertson etc. No disrespect to White, but imagine a truly elite overlapping right-back for Saka. That’s an extra 5-10 goals alone.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Lies. You were an ESR fanboy, but I'll give up credit for hyping Saka as number 2 after ESR. Even beloved @MutableEarth was hyping Amaechi over Saka cause he is lighter skinned and the ladies find him more handsome smh.
:lol:

Amaechi had everybody on toast when he was on it. Quickest player I've ever seen live. Roasted most full-backs. Think leaving Arsenal was ultimately a poor choice but laid the foundation for Saka to usurp him as the better talent in the end. Think there's a bit of Hutchinson - number of guys who spoke to me about Hutchinson said that they didn't think he'd make it at Arsenal because he didn't deal well with contact and that makes a lot of sense when you consider what the current Hale End wingers still at Arsenal are doing - even Nelson deals with contact at this level now with a bit more sturdiness. Amaechi strikes me as the same, when the level went up, he couldn't deal with more experienced full-backs knowing how to deal with his pace and bouncing him around. I do expect him to have a bit of a resurgence at some point like Chris Willock did - at least once he gets his injury record under control.

Saka, much to his credit, has always relished the duels - from his very first U18s game as a 15 year old to now. Major difference between him and some of the other talented wingers we've produced. The way he provokes challenges, the way he rolls people and uses his body to manipulate the opponent as well as the ball is really top level, can't think of many wingers with that capability in world football. The ability to deal with contact is also why I think Cozier-Duberry might have a shot here aswell. Everyone thinks he's weak because he's small but he's extremely good at anticipating contact and using his body well. Doesn't shy away from a duel at all and has the acceleration to create separation against all but the quickest of defenders. Do not be surprised if Cozier-Duberry somehow manages to carve out more than a few meaningful appearances in an Arsenal shirt.

We've always had good wingers but ever since Saka's emergence, there's an emphasis on wingers/forwards with the ability to withstand heavy contact regardless of height.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Need a RB willing to step into those zones that Saka is in. Fresneda for me isn't that guy, he's very much the modern inverted player - I wouldn't be mad if we got him at all but he doesn't appear to overlap very much from what I've seen. Could be wrong there and maybe he has the versatility to invert as well as overlap/underlap.

Alexander-Arnold is such a unicorn because he both occupies wide and central areas at will - defensive issues aside, that versatility is what makes him such a threat. Stick any other player there with just his technical ball-striking and they don't do as well at all. That's one of the reasons why I reckon it's not always a good idea to put midfielders at full-back. We'd have to look at whether Reuell Walters' development is suited to RB as he has the ability to over and underlap but he is not necessarily an inverted passing type - Michal Rosiak in our academy is a right footed Zinchenko but I'd like to see him develop a lot more before we consider him. Wilshere rates him very highly though. Then there's Brooke Norton-Cuffy, who along with being a competent duel winner and extremely athletic, fits the overlapping role to a tee and seems comfortable coming inside aswell, but I think he has a few teething problems currently as his passing right now is VERY hit and miss compared to the other academy RBs mentioned.

I'm very intrigued by the RB market because it's one of the more varied markets in the game right now and I'm not quite sure exactly what Arteta wants which makes me a bit more interested in what will happen there. Going by the Fresneda rumours, you'd have to speculate that Arteta is quite happy to use Saka in the areas he is currently occupying but contrarily you'd also have to think he wants to have a wider assortment of tools at his disposal.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Saka would be a huge problem if he operated centrally. Wasn’t there a game for England where he was operating as an inside forward (think against Germany at Wembley) where he was causing all sorts of havoc.

Getting him into those inside right spaces that Salah likes to operate in will elevate his game again imo. Like someone said above, we will need a true overlapping right back who can allow us to do that. Maybe it’s part of Arteta’s thinking.. who knows

Bloodbather

Established Member

Saka would be a huge problem if he operated centrally. Wasn’t there a game for England where he was operating as an inside forward (think against Germany at Wembley) where he was causing all sorts of havoc.

Getting him into those inside right spaces that Salah likes to operate in will elevate his game again imo. Like someone said above, we will need a true overlapping right back who can allow us to do that. Maybe it’s part of Arteta’s thinking.. who knows
I highly doubt it. Overlapping FBs don't fit our system. Tierney looks out of place already, it wouldn't be any different on the right. We want an inverted one who can contribute to the build up, and a CB type who can form a 3-man defense to defend the counters.

Geofranco

I highly doubt it. Overlapping FBs don't fit our system. Tierney looks out of place already, it wouldn't be any different on the right. We want an inverted one who can contribute to the build up, and a CB type who can form a 3-man defense to defend the counters.
I think it's more about Tierney's technical limitations than anything else.

Geofranco

Ngl Amaechi moved me, I really thought we birthed Robben’s son. Last I heard Amaechi was struggling to get starts in German 2nd division. Player development is a crazy thing. One day you could be the best 16-year-old in world football, and then at 21 you could be looking for an accounting apprenticeship because of a double ACL injury.
I liked Amaechi's profile but he kind of reminded me of Oxlade Chamberlain, an explosive athlete, good technically, but didn't have any guile to his game. Just went out there and played. Could get away with that in the youth teams, but above that level you need a bit more and don't think he had the creativity to make up for that deficiency.

Bloodbather

Established Member

I think it's more about Tierney's technical limitations than anything else.
We play him in that inverted role whenever he comes in, though.

I think the only way it could work is we somehow find a RB who can both play as an auxiliary CB and as an overlapping FB and switch between the two as required, and the only one I can think of plays for Man City.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Where did I say the ceiling comment?
The first reply where I showed a person asking who compared Saka to Malouda, which is why you came up when I searched it.

This is what I laughed at, because like I showed he was already at that level in goals per minute when you made the comment.

You’re overdoing it here. Have a look at Malouda’s career honours, if any academy prospect goes on to have that sort of career they’ll be the best hale ender ever.

Malouda comparison came about because he’s a very good all around wide player that could play at the highest level but I’m still yet to see evidence of shooting/finishing being one of his standout traits.

Until then as a ball dominant winger his goal scoring ceiling is more Bernardo Silva than Mahrez. Still very respectable ofc.

If he became a more off the ball winger in a dominant team then he could be prolific a la Sterling but I don’t think Saka is a wide forward.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Southgate, who has worked with Saka for 2,5 years, says that he has always had that technique to score.

He seems to emphasize that it's at least as much a mentality thing as technical development, but seems to think it's much more mental by how he says it and repeats the mental and confidence aspect, while saying he always had the technique.

So he agrees with me. And @Geofranco ?

Gareth Southgate on #Arsenal Bukayo Saka after the England win over Ukraine: "I just think when he's in front of goal now, he plays with real belief. That is evident with his club and it is evident in the games with us. You are expecting him to score now when he goes through and that's been a mentality shift as much as anything technical. He's always had the technique.

"I think he knows to be a really top wide player you need the number of goals and assists and without a doubt he has delivered that all season.

"His hunger, his humility is what has got him on a good path. He has all the attributes to continue to improve and learn because that's how he's wired and I don't see that changing with how he is and how his family are.

"He's got great support around him and all those things are important for a young player. I'm not going to get drawn into where he sits in world football because that would then be starting to put him in danger of doing all the things we shouldn't be doing with him. He's progressing brilliantly, he's a joy to work with and we should leave it at that."

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Well deserved had a fantastic month and he should win Young player of the year when season ends because player of the year we know where its going

Top Bottom