• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bukayo Saka: Saka The Net

Is Saka a world class player?

• Yes definitely

Votes: 48 38.7%
  • Close, he’ll get there soon

Votes: 62 50.0%
  • No no at all

Votes: 14 11.3%

• Total voters

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

The club did the correct thing anyways, whatever we did Talksport would have put a negative spin on it.

Saka's salary is fair market value based on a mixture of what he has done, ofcourse his potential and what his peers are offering. A lot of us even guessed £200k+

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
He never said Sterling was distracted by money. He reckons that Saka's peak is what Sterling achieved. The point he was making is that Saka is now on world class money despite not yet being world class, in his estimation (and indeed big portion of AM). The worry is that the bag might stunt him slightly, to the point where he ends up falling short of actually becoming an elite, top tier player and is "just" a very good one like Sterling.

And it's a common concern that has come up regularly over the last 15 years due to the crazy money in the modern game. It doesn't matter if you're a saint or not, these players are still human. Coming into that much money at 21 or 22 is going to introduce all kinds of unforeseen things into one's life, and we should pray that they do have a strong family and support around them, and that the club does all it can to be there as these guys fully mature as men. There's nothing wrong with what he said, and nothing even remotely racist about what he said. If there is anything to address, its you asking yourself why you immediately went to the most inflammatory, uncharitable place first for criticism.
I think the “extreme wages at a young age” angle gets overblown. More often than not, when a young player loses their way, money isn't the catalyst. Injuries, mental health problems, off-field issues or simple mismanagement can do far more harm to a youngster than a new paycheck. Mbappe, Halaand, Vincius Jr etc are probably getting paid tenfold of what super talents were getting yesteryear, and there is no talk of any them losing their way.

On the Sterling point, I don't understand why he brought up his name. How did Sterling getting paid more money halt him from reaching world-class status? The trophies suggest Sterling is world class. The numerous G/A suggest Sterling is world-class. Sterling was rated highly, but I hate how people try to retcon him into a Balon d’Or level talent just to criticise him for leaving Liverpool and not reaching an absurdly high level he was likely never going to reach. Then they'll say the money hindered him or some nonsense. When in actuality, Sterling has probably reached his potential.

Finally, I've seen Jordan criticise Foden for his new bumper contract.
Jordan and Sinclair in heated row over player wages amid £225k-a-week Foden talks

But he never compared him to Sterling or even mentioned his name, which I find strange because they were teammates at the time. However, Saka gets a new contract, and he compares him to Sterling. Why is that? Surely you can see why what Jordan is saying is problematic.

Last edited:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Aside from the weird racial element you have to laugh at these owners making money hand over fist off the back of these young kids but they start wringing their hands when they actually have to pay them what they're worth.

The only reason your club has any value is because of these players, greedy f*cks would love to have them on some bare minimum youth contract until they're 25.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Paying players off potential rather than what they have done is probably a discussion though.

There’s an argument of paying 300k when they can still earn it rather than once you’ve seen the best of them like Özil and Auba at 30.

One of those scenarios where sports doesn’t quite work like real life.

SteveEvets

On the Sterling point, I don't understand why he brought up his name. How did Sterling getting paid more money halt him from reaching world-class status? The trophies suggest Sterling is world class. The numerous G/A suggest Sterling is world-class. Sterling was rated highly, but I hate how people try to retcon him into a Balon d’Or level talent just to criticise him for leaving Liverpool and not reaching an absurdly high level he was likely never going to reach. Then they'll say the money hindered him or some nonsense. When in actuality, Sterling has probably reached his potential.

Finally, I've seen Jordan criticise Foden for his new bumper contract.
Jordan and Sinclair in heated row over player wages amid £225k-a-week Foden talks

But he never compared him to Sterling or even mentioned his name, which I find strange because they were teammates at the time. However, Saka gets a new contract, and he compares him to Sterling. Why is that? Surely you can see why what Jordan is saying is problematic.
No one ever said Sterling didn't reach his potential because of money. Listen to the clip again, but I will paraphrase his comments:

1. Jordan's Arsenal mates think Saka is "the second coming," suggesting him being on world-beater money is justified.
2. Jordan disagrees, he thinks Saka's peak as a footballer is closer to peak Sterling, therefore its a risk giving him world-beater money.

Whatever your opinion of Sterling's career, the bit you write about "retconning him into a Balon D'Or talent" when moved to Man City is Jordan's entire point! His transfer fee, status as the most expensive British transfer ever at 20 years old, him getting top 5 wages in the richest league in the world, suggested that he WAS Balon D'Or talent. Jordan is noting the madness and the inflation in the game that is perhaps knocking valuations out of whack. I was going to post the Foden clip as well, glad you added it. He's consistent with his criticism there, its a variation on the same theme. It's an opinion, nothing controversial about this.

As for why Sterling was brought up at all. Well, Saka is:
- English
- a goal scoring winger
- broke into a top English club at 18
- broke into the England team at 18
- shortlisted for/wins major individual awards
- could be England's next talisman, or "just" an integral part of the squad

Which is what Sterling was at 21. How is that odd to make that comparison when Saka now and Sterling then play the same position, have the same stature in the game, and are/were at the same inflection point in their careers? They could either shoot up another two levels and become properly elite, or not. Jordan thinks he wont, aka "the pathway of Sterling," thus implying Arsenal are overpaying. It's a valid opinion, albeit one that I don't agree with. But there is nothing controversial about this.

Why not Foden? For a start Foden isn't the same type of attacker as Saka and Sterling are. Although he's been played out wide most times, everyone knows he's a central creative-type and not a end-product winger. Further he hasn't reached the same status Saka has. Saka is one of Arsenal and England's main players. Mind you, the best performing England anyone under the age of 70 has ever seen. Meanwhile Foden is "buried" at City in terms of star power and is not yet an England regular. There's no direct comparison to be made really.

Martinelli? He's not British, he is not flash, and he's not definitively a top 10 player in the PL. From a media perspective he might as well not exist. Again, nothing here is controversial, "problematic,"
or even in the same galaxy as racist.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Paying players off potential rather than what they have done is probably a discussion though.

There’s an argument of paying 300k when they can still earn it rather than once you’ve seen the best of them like Özil and Auba at 30.

One of those scenarios where sports doesn’t quite work like real life.
The fact Sancho earns 350k pw and doesn't really contribute kind of blew it all open. I feel like everyone negotiating contracts now are gonna point towards him.

SuperMikel

A calm and collected individual.
No similarities between Sterling and Saka. Saka likes the ball to feet, Sterling prefers to run in behind. Saka also clearly has more technical ability.

The only reason people compare them, is they are both black, and have similar statures.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Playing with an Achilles “problem”, Santi Cazorla sends his regards

Yeah this is as serious as the Saliba concerns.

Titles gone rest him up all summer. If it goes it might kill his career off ffs.

Southgate has to leave him alone as well…

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

This is typical of English media. People laughed at my long essay about how they view Rice. Could you see them ever mention him being distracted? Rashford gets the same nonsense. He went to New York when he was injured with his girl and the comments on Dailymail which Simon Jordan works for now were disgusting

He has the same hatred for AJ. His racist undertone is very similar to certain northern Irish poster in here

@Riou

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
@Rasmi

I apologise 100 times over if I gave you the impression that I dislike people based on their nationality or skin tone, I just despise ugly people...you gotta believe me man!!!

Iwobeast

Established Member

Player:Martinelli

We buying this?

No. Think the 4 years is mutual. He’s probably on 200k a week excluding bonuses. If he really keeps on developing and becomes the elite player that we expect him to be, he will get his superstar contract of 350k a week in 2 years.

Reactions: A_G

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Yeah the 4 years is a “wait and see” renewal in my opinion. Allows Saka to continue with us, build his profile more, but also leave himself able to leave if we do not match his ambition.

I don’t think he signs a further extension if we don’t continue appearing in the CL at the very least. But to secure the next extension we are going to need to win one of the PL or CL.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
bUT He lOVes tHe ClUb

Martinelli is the better player, and man.
This idea any player loves the club is so silly, I'm sure Grealish loved Aston Villa but realistically you leave for City the first chance you get. Saka probably would've left if we didn't qualify for CL this season.

Top Bottom