• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bundesliga Thread

Oh_Snap

BobP

Memri Fan
@Toby Andrl

How do you think BvB will lineup next season?

I'm thinking:

Bürki
Achraf-Hummels-Akanji-Schulz
Witsel-Delaney
Sancho-Reus-Hazard or Brandt
Götze or Alcácer

Disgustingly good.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
@Toby Andrl

How do you think BvB will lineup next season?

I'm thinking:

Bürki
Achraf-Hummels-Akanji-Schulz
Witsel-Delaney
Sancho-Reus-Hazard or Brandt
Götze or Alcácer

Disgustingly good.

Pretty good. Afaik they're still looking for a cm playmaker in the Gündogan mild and maybe another striker. Think them and Leipzig will nag Bayern quite a but again.

BobP

Memri Fan

giphy.gif

BobP

Memri Fan
Pretty good. Afaik they're still looking for a cm playmaker in the Gündogan mild and maybe another striker. Think them and Leipzig will nag Bayern quite a but again.

You're right, Dahoud has been poor and they need that third midfielder to give them the flexibility to switch to a 4-3-3 when the situation calls for it. That was something they struggle with this past season.

The striking situation is also a bit iffy. Don't think Favre fully trusts either Alcácer or Götze, preferring to alternate between the two depending on the opposition. Should sign Max Kruse for a season.

PoleInGoal

Player:Tomiyasu
Interesting that in the 1st round of the DFB Pokal the lower-league teams automatically get to play at home. I think that's a great incentive that small clubs have the chance to host a big team.

My local team KFC Uerdingen (3. Liga) were drawn with Dortmund, gonna try and snag a ticket to the game.

BobP

Memri Fan
RBL being linked to Malang Sarr.

Think they're getting ready to switch to Nagelsmann's preferred 5-3-2-/3-5-2. Interesting that Rangnick has already trialed it a few times this past season.

GK
Gulácsi
Mvogo

CB

Konaté
Upamecano
Mukiele
Orban
Sarr

RWB

Klostermann
Laimer

LWB

Halstenberg
Candido

CM

Demme
Adams
Kampl
Haidara

AM

Forsberg
Sabitzer
Wolf

ST

Werner
Poulsen
Cunha

--------------Gulácsi
----Mukiele-Konaté-Upamecano
Klostermann-Demme-Halstenberg
-----------Sabitzer-Forsberg
-----------Werner-Poulsen

#Madness

Toby

RBL being linked to Malang Sarr.

Think they're getting ready to switch to Nagelsmann's preferred 5-3-2-/3-5-2. Interesting that Rangnick has already trialed it a few times this past season.

[...]
--------------Gulácsi
----Mukiele-Konaté-Upamecano
Klostermann-Demme-Halstenberg
-----------Sabitzer-Forsberg
-----------Werner-Poulsen

#Madness

Think they will move for another attacker as Wolf has just broken his right ankle and Forsberg's injury is more or less chronic.

Werner will be an interesting case. Don't think any top club is really dead set on him. Bayern think he's too expensive, Liverpool could find a better fit with players like Pépé, Kruse, Fékir, etc. Dortmund have Alcacer and Götze, as well as Reus being able to fill in as CF, and they've rather been linked with younger talents recently (btw agree with you that Kruse would make a lot of sense for them, as for Liverpool tbh).
I fully expected Werner to join Bayern as is just smelled like them, but their overall strategy seems a bit torn these days. The continuing question marks over Kovac, but now he gets Flick as new assistant, their failure to focus on clear winger targets despite knowing they'd have to sign someone for years, 115m € already spent but only on two CBs, Hummels gone but Boateng still there, and finally the apparent bts rift between Hoeneß and Rummenigge.

Anyway, my gut still tells me either Werner joins Bayern for 30 to 40m this summer or he'll stay at Leipzig and probably leave on a free next one.

Leipzig have a very decent overall squad, especially their defense is lining up to be very, very good. Still always found they lack something. You know that spark e.g. Forsberg brought to them when they first arrived in the 1. BL. Just someone to get them to a little higher level by adding that superior individual quality. Their concepts with talents is very interesting and laudable, but if they truly want to challenge for the title and not go out in the CL group stages time and again they should add top quality.
E.g. if Werner were to leave, as Leipzig, I'd target Hoffenheim's Joelinton and spent maybe another 30m or something on a Poulsen upgrade - I'd probably call Eintracht's Sebastien Haller and try and tempt him with CL footie, but the lad's probably got monetarily more interesting options from England.

BobP

Memri Fan
Think they will move for another attacker as Wolf has just broken his right ankle and Forsberg's injury is more or less chronic.

Werner will be an interesting case. Don't think any top club is really dead set on him. Bayern think he's too expensive, Liverpool could find a better fit with players like Pépé, Kruse, Fékir, etc. Dortmund have Alcacer and Götze, as well as Reus being able to fill in as CF, and they've rather been linked with younger talents recently (btw agree with you that Kruse would make a lot of sense for them, as for Liverpool tbh).
I fully expected Werner to join Bayern as is just smelled like them, but their overall strategy seems a bit torn these days. The continuing question marks over Kovac, but now he gets Flick as new assistant, their failure to focus on clear winger targets despite knowing they'd have to sign someone for years, 115m € already spent but only on two CBs, Hummels gone but Boateng still there, and finally the apparent bts rift between Hoeneß and Rummenigge.

Anyway, my gut still tells me either Werner joins Bayern for 30 to 40m this summer or he'll stay at Leipzig and probably leave on a free next one.

Leipzig have a very decent overall squad, especially their defense is lining up to be very, very good. Still always found they lack something. You know that spark e.g. Forsberg brought to them when they first arrived in the 1. BL. Just someone to get them to a little higher level by adding that superior individual quality. Their concepts with talents is very interesting and laudable, but if they truly want to challenge for the title and not go out in the CL group stages time and again they should add top quality.
E.g. if Werner were to leave, as Leipzig, I'd target Hoffenheim's Joelinton and spent maybe another 30m or something on a Poulsen upgrade - I'd probably call Eintracht's Sebastien Haller and try and tempt him with CL footie, but the lad's probably got monetarily more interesting options from England.

You're right they do lack a spark.

Rumours that they're in for Nkunku, which doesn't really address that problem.

Rumours that they're in for

PoleInGoal

Hecking is the new Hamburg manager. Should allow them to get back to the Bundesliga with his great experience.

HSV should've been coming up this season but absolutely shat the bed in the second half of the season. Quite similar to Hecking with Gladbach actually.

2. Liga will be spicy next season, a lot of big clubs there

Toby

HSV should've been coming up this season but absolutely shat the bed in the second half of the season. Quite similar to Hecking with Gladbach actually.

Also, for all his work in Dortmund's U19 and the laurels heaped onto him, as of now Hannes Wolf is just a bad manager who seemingly can't get his talent translated into actual good work/success beyond youth level.

Hecking will bring HSV to another level, but their backroom shambles are still in place and it doesn't look like that interference will quiet down any time soon. Not sold on their squad, either, but let's see how that turns out. They basically brought in a couple of solid 2. Bundesliga players which could help them, but on the other hand they're all very unexciting/uninspiring signings: Hinterseer, Dudziak, Ewerton, Leibold - but maybe exactly what they need to stabilize their squad performance along a guy like Hecking to reach promotion.

Hannover is a tough one. They look good upfront with Weydandt and Teuchert - not sold on Duksch - they've got a few interesting offensive players with Maina, Muslija and Haraguchi, but then a lot of dross in midfield and defence: prib, Fossum, Jung, Korb, Ostrzolek, Albornoz. Think their only decent CB Anton will leave them. Zieler in goal hasn't set the world alight at Stuttgart, definitely was a flaky GK there and most of us are happy to see the back of him. Always was too much of a professional-only relationship between him and VfB. All in all I think it will be hard for Hannover. Slomka is an experienced guy, but doesn't bring anything special to the table, either - he's like a worse version of Hecking. Don't know if they did themselves a favour bringing him back.

Nurnburg have a very decent, harmonic and rounded squad for the 2. Bundesliga. They also had a slight turn up in form towards the end of last season. They've lost some key players in Loewen, Matheus and Kubo and Ewerton, but did some godd adding to the squad, too. They'll definitely be in the mix, I think.

Heidenheim with Frank Schmidt will play a good role, too. Think Holstein Kiel will finally dip in form after basically striking management jackpot twice, first with Anfang and then with Walter, after having now hired André Schubert, who I think is an absolute joke of a manager. Jahn Regensburg will definitely struggle and certainly won't repeat their strong season after losing key players as well as manager Achim Beierlorzer to Cologne.

Think the top three candidates for promotion are Stuttgart, Hamburg and Nurnberg, followed by Heidenheim and Hannover. And then there will of course be one or two surprise teams. Could see Rudiger Rehm's promoted Wehen Wiesbaden cause some stir.

The White Pelè

Human Highlight Reel
I would take a look at Kiel as well. They have always been in the first positions since their promotion from the 3. Bundesliga 2 years ago.

PoleInGoal

@Toby Andrl Thanks for the great summary, I'm sure I'll be keeping an eye on 2.Liga this season as well.

Bochum is not too far from me and with Osei-Tutu moving there for the season I may try and catch a couple of their games, or sneak into the Stuttgart end when they visit!

Toby

I would take a look at Kiel as well. They have always been in the first positions since their promotion from the 3. Bundesliga 2 years ago.

They lost key player Kinsombie to Hamburg, his talented replacement Karazor went to Stuttgart, there's rumours about Dehm leaving and I am sure they sold more but don't know from the top of my head. On top of that they lost their second successful manager in two years: After Anfang left for Cologne last season, this summer Walter left for Stuttgart. They also last summer lost the DoF to HSV who brought in these two guys and have now signed Andre Schubert as manager who is just plain bad at his job. Absolutely unsure if Kiel can keep up flying high like they recently did under such circumstances.

Toby

https://www.swr.de/sport/fussball/vfb-stuttgart/Bundesliga-VfB-Stuttgart,umbruch-vfb-100.html

German interview with ex-Arsenal man and now VfB Stuttgart Technical Director Sven Mislintat. Felt like some of you in here might be interested.

On if he's already settled in in Stuttgart:
"[...] There's not so much time for that. [...] It's like leadfooting it all the time every day to rebuild something here and think forward again. The relegation game was an emotional low point, but now it's about thinking forward and building a squad as quickly as possible, building a team that really is able to do justice to our goal: striving for and getting promoted relatively quickly."

On if he thought about getting relegated during the end of the season:
"If you sign on 11th April and there's a span of 10 or 12 games and you only win one game it would have been negligent to not think about 2. Bundesliga, in fact you have to do that permanently because in case it happens you have to be prepared. I think we've shown that with transfers we already did and by signing a coach already.

I've been at big clubs, but I'm also joining a big club. You just shouldn't make the mistake of thinking the potential here will do everything by itself; you have to activate that potential, you have to take advantage of that - but that's definitely possible. That's what makes this project extremely exciting - project actually is the wrong word - what makes this club and task so exciting. Because here, if you stick together and follow this path together you have an extreme fire and extreme passion at this club. The relegation matches, what our fans did in terms of support shows exactly what's possible here, and that's what we have to accomplish, that the team on the field fires up the stadium every single game."

On Squadplanning and what's important to him in that regard:
"(Squad-) Cohesion is a good talking point. Having clear communications and agreements on our goals, having a mentality to give everything to get into the starting lineup, thus starting to establish performance orientated principles so that players actually perform on the pitch, wearing the club badge with pride and going full throttle on the pitch, meaning mentality, hunger, passion - everything that defines football and what we want to see in it."

On older players and their roles in the squad:
"For young players joining - and that's something you want to do: signing young potential you want to develop - players like Mario [Gomez] - older, experienced players - are worth gold, because they can draw from their experiences. They're an integral part of teams growing together but also depicting different characters. We need this experience to be able to develop young players to their fullest quality, and older players are an important part of this path of developing youth."

After having been asked if he had followed Stuttgart's chaotic season prior to and just after signing:
"From the outside what can you do? You can look at the club as a whole, you can evaluate the squad structure, because that's what I am here for: making a clear evaluation on the pro department, the first team - together with Sporting Director Hitzlsperger. And of course there was the clear danger of getting relegated, you have to admit that. The detailed, deep rooted reasons are found step by step, but they're of course subject in our internal discussions."

On what he expects to happen in the next weeks until training resumes (IV is from 2nd June):
"Everything is in motion already. Today's press conference was a symbol with all the people mainly responsible, to have this strong group sit together and to show: We want to be tough and we want to do better. And that's a process that's actually already started on April 11th when I signed, officially on May 1st when I started, but for a lot of others at the club even earlier [he lists a couple of people]. It's not like we've gotten relegated and now we're starting, it's a daily process analysis, a daily process to occupy oneself with. And that's something we also said: It's not about formulating a certain goal, it's about how to get there - what will I be doing tomorrow, how do I get better tomorrow to win a game the day after tommorrow - and that's mandatory for every single group in this club. How do I get more cash from sponsors, how can I improve marketing, how can I create a better climate/atmosphere, how can I establish performance based principles? And that's where we're already at important topics like daily business. That doesn't change only because of getting relegated."

On what he values in new manager Tim Walter:
"An atmosphere of departure, a progressive play style, focus on your own strengths and not only about the opposition's, go into games with a certain classical confidence of being able to win games by your own means, especially on the ball, and not only in mirroring/countering the opposing system/tactics. That's what we see in him and that's what we want."

Top Bottom