• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers: Calahm

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Not your modern attacking fullback, and I think that will be his undoing at Arsenal. He will most likely be sold this summer.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
We have too many 'decent squad players,' who could do a job here, but have shown time and time again that they probably aren't quite of the standard required.

Chambers, Xhaka, AMM, Torreria and arguably even Laca fall into that category. That's around 100 million pounds worth of player. Why not invest in a top centre back and top cm instead?

Chambers must want more for himself as well than being a utility man in his mid-twenties.

I agree. I posted a list of players to sell in the summer a few week ago. All those you mention were on the list, including Laca & Chambers. I'd also sell Nketiah, Bellerin, Luiz & Holding. Maybe Guen also.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
He's always been very dependable at RB for us, both going forward and defensively, that's no surprise really. That's not to say he's the long term answer either but he's probably the most solid option we have at the moment.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

He's always been very dependable at RB for us, both going forward and defensively, that's no surprise really. That's not to say he's the long term answer either but he's probably the most solid option we have at the moment.
I'd keep him over Bellerin for sure. Think Chambers has more defensive upside and with Cedric in the mix we are good at RB without Bellerin.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
I'd keep him over Bellerin for sure. Think Chambers has more defensive upside and with Cedric in the mix we are good at RB without Bellerin.
I'd still like us to sign a RB but I don't know how likely or possible that will be in the next window given that we have three of them under contract. I think Chambers is the best of the three we have but being realistic I think he's also the easiest of them to sell given he's on lower wages than the other two and homegrown, still only 26 as well.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I'd still like us to sign a RB but I don't know how likely or possible that will be in the next window given that we have three of them under contract. I think Chambers is the best of the three we have but being realistic I think he's also the easiest of them to sell given he's on lower wages than the other two and homegrown, still only 26 as well.
Which is why I'd keep him and try to offload Hector even if on the cheap. Plus we really need some midfield help and Chambers can play there also. My vote is on keep!

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Not your modern attacking fullback, and I think that will be his undoing at Arsenal. He will most likely be sold this summer.
His technique is excellent, if he had a bit more pace about him he'd be a very interesting player. I feel like he's put in more excellent crosses this year than Bellerin has in his career.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Trying to sell Chambers this summer makes zero sense, especially when we anticipate that we'll try to sell Bellerin.

We can pretend that there are better RBs on the market, but COVID has hurt everyone financially. This is definitely a climate for developing you existing players instead of looking for the market for solutions. Our squad is too big, so we'll sell players this summer, but using that money to by a new RB would be a waste of money.

Chambers hasn't put a foot wrong since he came back. He's not the fastest RB, but he makes up for it with his size, positioning, and technique. He can play RB, CB, and DM. At Fulham, he was their player of the year, and he played CM/DM. It is rare that you can find a player who can play all three of those positions, and if Arteta has learned anything from Pep he will maximize that versatility.

At City, Pep plays João Cancelo as a RB, but in possession he moves into midfield to provide defensive help in their 4-3-3. If we shift to that formation next season, and I think we will, having a RB who can move to CM in possession, and also cover for a CB if they are out of position will be huge for us.

Having a RB that can move into midfield changes everything. In a 4-3-3, Xhaka might be our holding midfielder, Partey as a B2B, Ødegaard as the AM, Saka at RM, ESR at LM, and Auba at CF. (It could be another set of six players, but you get the deal.)

If Chambers moves into midfield when we're in possession, we can push Partey, Ødegaard, Saka, ESR, and Auba into the attack knowing that they have support in the middle. Holding would spread out to the wing on the right, Gabriel would stay in the middle, and Tierney would stay on the left. If Holding or Tierney push up and are out of position then Chambers or Xhaka can cover for them. Also, Chambers' technique and final ball means he might be able to create goal scoring chances if he is in the middle. Cancelo was a decent player for City, but this season his game has gone up a level because he moves into the middle when City attacks.

This is how you dominate possession and create overloads without leaving yourself vulnerable at the back.

It would be such a bad idea to try to sell Chambers this summer, especially if Bellerin leaves.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Trying to sell Chambers this summer makes zero sense, especially when we anticipate that we'll try to sell Bellerin.

We can pretend that there are better RBs on the market, but COVID has hurt everyone financially. This is definitely a climate for developing you existing players instead of looking for the market for solutions. Our squad is too big, so we'll sell players this summer, but using that money to by a new RB would be a waste of money.

Chambers hasn't put a foot wrong since he came back. He's not the fastest RB, but he makes up for it with his size, positioning, and technique. He can play RB, CB, and DM. At Fulham, he was their player of the year, and he played CM/DM. It is rare that you can find a player who can play all three of those positions, and if Arteta has learned anything from Pep he will maximize that versatility.

At City, Pep plays João Cancelo as a RB, but in possession he moves into midfield to provide defensive help in their 4-3-3. If we shift to that formation next season, and I think we will, having a RB who can move to CM in possession, and also cover for a CB if they are out of position will be huge for us.

Having a RB that can move into midfield changes everything. In a 4-3-3, Xhaka might be our holding midfielder, Partey as a B2B, Ödegaard as the AM, Saka at RM, ESR at LM, and Auba at CF. (It could be another set of six players, but you get the deal.)

If Chambers moves into midfield when we're in possession, we can push Partey, Ödegaard, Saka, ESR, and Auba into the attack knowing that they have support in the middle. Holding would spread out to the wing on the right, Gabriel would stay in the middle, and Tierney would stay on the left. If Holding or Tierney push up and are out of position then Chambers or Xhaka can cover for them. Also, Chambers' technique and final ball means he might be able to create goal scoring chances if he is in the middle. Cancelo was a decent player for City, but this season his game has gone up a level because he moves into the middle when City attacks.

This is how you dominate possession and create overloads without leaving yourself vulnerable at the back.

It would be such a bad idea to try to sell Chambers this summer, especially if Bellerin leaves.
Would you look at that... sense!

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Having a RB that can move into midfield changes everything. In a 4-3-3, Xhaka might be our holding midfielder, Partey as a B2B, Ödegaard as the AM, Saka at RM, ESR at LM, and Auba at CF. (It could be another set of six players, but you get the deal.)

If Chambers moves into midfield when we're in possession, we can push Partey, Ödegaard, Saka, ESR, and Auba into the attack knowing that they have support in the middle. Holding would spread out to the wing on the right, Gabriel would stay in the middle, and Tierney would stay on the left. If Holding or Tierney push up and are out of position then Chambers or Xhaka can cover for them. Also, Chambers' technique and final ball means he might be able to create goal scoring chances if he is in the middle. Cancelo was a decent player for City, but this season his game has gone up a level because he moves into the middle when City attacks.

Agree. Not sure if Chambers is good enough for it to work, but the mix of attributes he has is pretty unique for a player.

We may as well sell someone like Bellerin/Holding (players who you know what you’re getting from) for a big free than Chambers for a small fee. I think that’s a risk worth taking.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20

While I like the tactical setup, I just don't rate Chambers. I think he could be like a championship level Cancelo.

I think RB is our weakest position after CM, so upgrading this position makes sense especially as it has a larger role in modern tactics than 10-20 years ago when the fullback position mattered a lot less.

A Hakimi, who we are linked with for instance, could play the Cancelo role possibly on a higher level than Cancelo and that would instantly improve our attack drastically. Mazraoui would also be a good option as he has quite an attacking role in the CL for Ajax and he used to be a creative '8' in the youth academy. Bit worried about his injuries this season, though. Mukiele also has some attacking license at Leipzig and has much more solid defensive attributes than Chambers.

I just think improving this position makes a lot of sense for our overall play. It would be the second largest improvement of our tactics after finding a press resistant and dynamic CM (Nkunku, Gravenberch, Buendia etc.).

By the way, I'm saying this with the assumption that Saliba is integrated at RCB next season, because Holding and Luiz are dreadful there and hurt our build up more than anyone.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
His delivery is very good. Hes6our best rv in terms of final third product. Bellerin has better movement in the final third but his final pass is piss poor

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
While I like the tactical setup, I just don't rate Chambers. I think he could be like a championship level Cancelo.

I think RB is our weakest position after CM, so upgrading this position makes sense especially as it has a larger role in modern tactics than 10-20 years ago when the fullback position mattered a lot less.

A Hakimi, who we are linked with for instance, could play the Cancelo role possibly on a higher level than Cancelo and that would instantly improve our attack drastically. Mazraoui would also be a good option as he has quite an attacking role in the CL for Ajax and he used to be a creative '8' in the youth academy. Bit worried about his injuries this season, though. Mukiele also has some attacking license at Leipzig and has much more solid defensive attributes than Chambers.

I just think improving this position makes a lot of sense for our overall play. It would be the second largest improvement of our tactics after finding a press resistant and dynamic CM (Nkunku, Gravenberch, Buendia etc.).

By the way, I'm saying this with the assumption that Saliba is integrated at RCB next season, because Holding and Luiz are dreadful there and hurt our build up more than anyone.
Personally, I think Chambers has the potential to take his game up another level. He's still pretty young for a defender, and his injury happened at the wrong time. He was arguably our best player during the end of the Emery era, and got hurt right when Arteta arrived. He's only just come back from a big injury and hasn't put a foot wrong.

Honestly, I depends on what our priorities are this summer, and with Chambers, Bellerin, and Cedric at RB, and the return of AMN I wouldn't be surprised if our focus is elsewhere. Based on how Pep likes to use his fullbacks, it is obvious that Chambers can excel in that system. Will he be better than Cancelo? Probably not, but he'd still be a very good RB.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
smug GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom