• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers: Calahm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Personally, I would keep him unless a really good offer comes in which I dont think it will.

I think you need players like him, he does a job and can cover two positions RB/CB and potentially a third as DM as well, he doesnt appear to complain when out of the side, isnt on a lot of wages and just gets on with it.

Utility players arent always worth selling, unless we can pull of another 'Iwobi'..

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

If Bellerin leaves this summer, I can see Chambers playing an important role in our squad and our defense. He's only 26, but he's been at Arsenal since 2014 and played with Arteta for two seasons. Chambers will be one of, if not, our longest serving player in the squad.

Arteta's biggest decision for our defense this summer is going to be deciding if we re-sign Luiz. I hope that we don't and we give Saliba a chance, but that means we'll be replacing an established veteran who has won a lot of trophies with a 20-year-old kid who hasn't won anything.

Without Luiz, our defense will be really young and talented, but lacking in experience. Our starting backline could be Tierney, Gabriel, Saliba, and Chambers. Tierney & Gabriel basically only have one season, Saliba has zero, and Chambers has seven seasons. Mari is older than Chambers, but has basically one season of EPL experience. Cedric is a backup. Holding would be our second most experienced defender.

If we don't extend Luiz's contract and bring back Saliba, Chambers and Holding will need to be the leaders of our defense.
Reading your post I think extending Luiz for another year might be in the cards. There is some logic to it and I am not a big fan of Luiz to be honest. He has too many clown moments in him and he really isn't a great defender. Hope we don't resign him, but can see how the argument would go.

Hope we keep Chambers though. Nice, solid utility player who performs pretty well every time he is asked. As long as he can stay fit. That has been his problem to be honest.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I like Chambers and wouldn't mind him staying on as a squad player. Luiz is an expensive luxury which I'm not sure merits an extension. Much rather have Saliba and Mavropanos back.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I like Chambers and wouldn't mind him staying on as a squad player. Luiz is an expensive luxury which I'm not sure merits an extension. Much rather have Saliba and Mavropanos back.
Not having a dig but this is where I feel football fans can never really understand the importance and influence of a player’s character. It doesn’t make up for a lack of ability but he’s definitely someone who helps the younger players.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Bellerin is the player we need to move on. Hope we get some offers for him in the summer. With our LB needs better to keep Chamber and Cedric as our two RB options and get another LB option in.

For me Chambers and Cedric are both decent back up RB's. I'd fear going into the season with one of them being our number one RB though.

Ideally you'd want a Tierney level player as starting RB, though that would be hard to pull off admittedly.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

C5-AF84-A4-B0-FD-459-C-AA7-C-09396-A17-AAC6.gif
Yh I love my boy TGG but I had to keep scrolling when I saw that one. 😂

It’s not that outrageous though, he’s played PL football in CM but let’s wait for him to settle first.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

One or two more good performances and he might get us £20m in the summer. We can’t afford to hoard players like Chambers, he’s never going to be first choice here and he’s too valuable for us to hold onto as backup now.

Half our rivals in the bottom ten will be interested in him.
Wouldn’t you rather sell Holding for a bigger fee and extend Calum’s audition?

Chambers has a higher ceiling, plays more positions, is better on the ball and is overall just more talented IMO. There will always be willing buyers as well so I’m not sure we lose anything from renewing him?

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Wouldn’t you rather sell Holding for a bigger fee and extend Calum’s audition?

Chambers has a higher ceiling, is better on the ball and is more talented IMO. There will always be willing buyers as well so I’m not sure we lose anything from renewing him?
You reckon we get more for the pound land Adams? Not fussed on either of them, would just rather sell if we can get £20m as I don’t see Chambers ever being a first choice player.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

You reckon we get more for the pound land Adams? Not fussed on either of them, would just rather sell if we can get £20m as I don’t see Chambers ever being a first choice player.
Yeah I feel like this season was Holding’s audition and we’ve seen that he’s PL mid table quality. Players like that can fetch you 30M, considering his age and being homegrown. Our mid table rivals wouldn’t want to risk that on Chambers as the guy has barely played.

Next season Chambers gets his audition and then we sell him if he shows a similar ceiling to Holding. One of them has to go though.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Ideally you'd want a Tierney level player as starting RB, though that would be hard to pull off admittedly.
Sure, but ideally we would want an upgrade on all our positions. Given our resources etc. and where we have bigger gaps I personally could live having Cedric and Chambers as our RB options for next season. You can throw a potentially returning AMN into that mix also.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Reading your post I think extending Luiz for another year might be in the cards. There is some logic to it and I am not a big fan of Luiz to be honest. He has too many clown moments in him and he really isn't a great defender. Hope we don't resign him, but can see how the argument would go.

Hope we keep Chambers though. Nice, solid utility player who performs pretty well every time he is asked. As long as he can stay fit. That has been his problem to be honest.
Next season our defense will have a lot of talent, but we'll need to have a leader, or leaders, if we want to compete at the highest level. Luiz is our defensive leader right now even if he might be a slight liability. If Arteta doesn't think one of our other defenders can become that leader then we may re-sign Luiz. I hope someone else can become our leader so that Saliba can get a shot.

Gunners1616

We should extend Calum's contract and let him start at right back next season with Cedric as back up. I don't see why not and i'm not sure we can get a better RB on the market without breaking the bank.

Also we already need to find a left back + other priorities.

Chambers has been really good whenever he was called upon except vs. Liverpool when the whole squad was straight up awful.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
With one year left, I'd accept offers of £15m or over. He's not starting quality over a long season. He's a nice utility player but at 26, surely he wants more. As Jeown said, players need to be able to play in multiple positions these days bit I'd rather a Sagna type who could perform two roles really well, than a complete jack of all trades with questionable fitness.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Not having a dig but this is where I feel football fans can never really understand the importance and influence of a player’s character. It doesn’t make up for a lack of ability but he’s definitely someone who helps the younger players.
At £100,000 a week and bearing in mind his frequent brainfarts you would hope for more than someone who helps younger players.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

At £100,000 a week and bearing in mind his frequent brainfarts you would hope for more than someone who helps younger players.
You’re not understanding me. My point wasn’t that all he does is help younger players. It’s that of all the things you can criticise him for, luxury isn’t one.

He actually provides something valuable luxury players don’t - professionalism, work ethic, leadership, communication. He’s competing with Holding for the right CB slot, probably starts over him when fit for many reasons including his distribution.

He’s very upgradeable but luxury? That’s his mate Willian. We had zero need to sign him.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
You’re not understanding me. My point wasn’t that all he does is help younger players. It’s that of all the things you can criticise him for, luxury isn’t one.

He actually provides something valuable luxury players don’t - professionalism, work ethic, leadership, communication. He’s competing with Holding for the right CB slot, probably starts over him when fit for many reasons including his distribution.

He’s very upgradeable but luxury? That’s his mate Willian. We had zero need to sign him.
Willian isn't a luxury, he's a liability. Luiz has had his moments but not enough positives for me to keep him rather than bring the other two back. He isn't going to get better and it is imperative we find out soonest if either of those two can be a long-term prospect. Pablo Mari, Holding and Gabriel are all ok but none of them is great, if these two younger CBs don't cut it we'll need to buy. Holding (pun unintentional) on to Luiz for another season merely delays the inevitable.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Willian isn't a luxury, he's a liability. Luiz has had his moments but not enough positives for me to keep him rather than bring the other two back. He isn't going to get better and it is imperative we find out soonest if either of those two can be a long-term prospect. Pablo Mari, Holding and Gabriel are all ok but none of them is great, if these two younger CBs don't cut it we'll need to buy. Holding (pun unintentional) on to Luiz for another season merely delays the inevitable.
Luxury in the sense that we had enough players already in his position. Liability in the sense that he’s not good enough.

But back to Luiz - I’m not married to the idea of keeping him, I just don’t think he’s been our problem this season. Defensively we’ve been ok. Offensively we’ve been absolutely abysmal.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
So much better than Holding, it's odd how little game time Chambers gets.

For the record, I would sell both Holding and Chambers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom