• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers: Here or Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The coverage Chambers is getting from Arsenal media, and the fact that there aren't any more rumors about us being linked with young CBs, I think shows that Emery is actually impressed about the quality within the squad.

He came in allegedly knowing a lot about our squad, but I think he's finding out that many of our players are better than he thought.

I seriously can see Emery taking the squad up another level.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Do we even have a best centre-back? All our centre-backs look like those solid guys who you put up with cos they're playing next to the really great centre-back. Except there is no really great centre-back.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Do we even have a best centre-back? All our centre-backs look like those solid guys who you put up with cos they're playing next to the really great centre-back. Except there is no really great centre-back.

Our best center back last season was stil past it, near retirement Koscielny. A fact that should be worrying for everyone.

Song Billong

I don't understand the loan - which apparently Orny is now reporting.

Holding needs a loan move. Chambers looked like he was ready for a starting spot during pre-season. What are we doing?

scytheavatar

Established Member

Holding needs a loan move. Chambers looked like he was ready for a starting spot during pre-season. What are we doing?

Desperate to reduce our wage bill, Chambers is one of the few players we have that's actually good enough for other clubs to want to sign him on a loan.

IslingtonBornandbred

For me, Chambers is ahead of Holding but that might actually be why he's going on loan. If Emery sees Sokratis and Mustafi as first choice, that means Chambers won't get a game unless there is an injury or rotation. Chambers needs to play every week.

So it could make sense that he goes and does that at Fulham whilst Holding acts as a reserve alongside Mavropanos or possibly a new centre back which is being reported. I'd suggest though all three of them, Chambers, Holding and Mavropanos need to be playing first team football every week though, and for Chambers if he does go out on loan and do well at Fulham then he needs to be put in the team as a regular next season or he needs to move on.

Song Billong

For me, Chambers is ahead of Holding but that might actually be why he's going on loan. If Emery sees Sokratis and Mustafi as first choice, that means Chambers won't get a game unless there is an injury or rotation. Chambers needs to play every week.

So it could make sense that he goes and does that at Fulham whilst Holding acts as a reserve alongside Mavropanos or possibly a new centre back which is being reported. I'd suggest though all three of them, Chambers, Holding and Mavropanos need to be playing first team football every week though, and for Chambers if he does go out on loan and do well at Fulham then he needs to be put in the team as a regular next season or he needs to move on.

That doesn't make sense to me.

Which other top side would loan out their 3rd choice CB, who is challenging for a starting place, and not the younger raw 4th and 5th options?

If we cop an injury to the poor Mustafi and TBA Sokratis, then suddenly we are relying on our 4th and 5th options and it could be panic stations. It's just a ludicrous decision and completely counter-intuitive to building a strong squad, IMO. The obvious candidate for a loan is Holding.

Unless we are bringing someone in. Which is hopefully not Vida.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

That doesn't make sense to me.

Which other top side would loan out their 3rd choice CB, who is challenging for a starting place, and not the younger raw 4th and 5th options?

If we cop an injury to the poor Mustafi and TBA Sokratis, then suddenly we are relying on our 4th and 5th options and it could be panic stations. It's just a ludicrous decision and completely counter-intuitive to building a strong squad, IMO. The obvious candidate for a loan is Holding.

Unless we are bringing someone in. Which is hopefully not Vida.

Yeah think you're right , you don't loan out a bloke that is challenging for a starting position makes no sense . Either we are getting a new CB or maybe clutching at straws .... can lichsteiner play CB ?

blaze_of_glory

Yeah this is a weird one. Really looked like he was comfortably the third CB here, maybe even starting if Sokratis didn't work out. Looked very solid in preseason from what I could tell.

As others have said, we must be bringing in someone in. But will they actually be better than him?

IslingtonBornandbred

The point is exactly what has been mentioned above. Chambers may be third choice. Anything other than a starter and he will want to go on loan. I am looking at it from his point of view. It might not make the biggest sense in terms of the squad and the team however he played 22 Premier League games for Southampton in 13/14, 23 Premier League games for Arsenal in 14/15, then 12 for Arsenal in 15/16, then 24 for Middlesbrough in 16/17 and then 12 again for Arsenal in 17/18.

He might have been informed that he isn't going to starting or first choice hence the loan. He could be looking at 10-15 games again if he stays. Long term, it makes sense for his development that he's playing every week. For me he either has to be first choice and given that chance here and see how the situation unfolds, or he has to go on loan to a good team. You can't risk having him sit on the bench for 75% of the season.

If he does go, I think Emery has given him that option or more likely he's asked to go on loan because he wants to play every week. I don't begrudge that at his age.

Jae

To be honest, although we need him here, I'd prefer having him smash it up for Fulham and then come back as a nailed on starter next season rather than have him sit on the bench playing every other game or getting 10 minutes here and there.

scytheavatar

Established Member
The point is exactly what has been mentioned above. Chambers may be third choice. Anything other than a starter and he will want to go on loan. I am looking at it from his point of view. It might not make the biggest sense in terms of the squad and the team however he played 22 Premier League games for Southampton in 13/14, 23 Premier League games for Arsenal in 14/15, then 12 for Arsenal in 15/16, then 24 for Middlesbrough in 16/17 and then 12 again for Arsenal in 17/18.

He might have been informed that he isn't going to starting or first choice hence the loan. He could be looking at 10-15 games again if he stays. Long term, it makes sense for his development that he's playing every week. For me he either has to be first choice and given that chance here and see how the situation unfolds, or he has to go on loan to a good team. You can't risk having him sit on the bench for 75% of the season.

If he does go, I think Emery has given him that option or more likely he's asked to go on loan because he wants to play every week. I don't begrudge that at his age.

If Chambers is third choice then his chances of becoming first choice is pretty good. Let's not pretend he is up against stiff competition. Chambers is 23 years old, that makes him no longer that young. He should be at the age where he's eager to prove his value at the highest level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom