• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers: Here or Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslingtonBornandbred

If Chambers is third choice then his chances of becoming first choice is pretty good. Let's not pretend he is up against stiff competition. Chambers is 23 years old, that makes him no longer that young. He should be at the age where he's eager to prove his value at the highest level.

I don't know. Maybe he's not third choice. Maybe Emery told him himself, Holding and Mavropanos will be behind Mustafi and Sokratis. All I know is it will obviously be a mutual decision because it has to be, and if Chambers has got some sort of indication that his game time might be restricted to cup games, Europa League and being a back up to the two more experienced players then I can see why he may want to go on loan to another PL club and play every week.

He'll prove his value by playing week in week out as first choice at Fulham or another Premier League club. He won't prove his value sitting on the bench for us and then being called upon after five games when he's rusty and lacking minutes, makes a mistake and then drops out of the team and the cycle repeats itself.

Last I'll say on it because I'm repeating myself but he either needs to be playing as a starter at Arsenal or playing as a starter at somewhere like Fulham. Sitting on the bench with the hope of becoming first choice could lead to 10-15 Premier League appearances which is a waste of time compared to 30+ at Fulham. It's a short term loss for a long term gain, he'll come back a better player if he get's 30+ games at Fulham.

Reactions: Jae

Apollian

How can we send out most consistent center back from last season away with just 4 days of kick off to go?.
I mean seriously, how are you ever going to developer players if your not playing them. Chambers should be starting.

DVD

I was shocked last night but perhaps this is the thought process:

Emery has concluded that none of the three up and coming prospects are quite developed enough to be a significant upgrade on the established senior options at this stage, but enough for squad roles.

1st Choice

· Papastathopoulos

· Mustafi

· Koscielny

Squad Roles

· Chambers

· Holding

· Mavropanos

Chambers is the best placed of the prospects to establish himself as a key figure at a quality club, in preparation to make a major impact for next season.

Holding and Mavropanos would benefit more form staying here at this stage as they are more likely to be benchwarmers at another decent club.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
To be honest, although we need him here, I'd prefer having him smash it up for Fulham and then come back as a nailed on starter next season rather than have him sit on the bench playing every other game or getting 10 minutes here and there.
Not sure we can win this. If he has a spectacular season the big boys will fight over him and he will be less inclined to be loyal than if he is given his break here.

Axel9090

Not sure we can win this. If he has a spectacular season the big boys will fight over him and he will be less inclined to be loyal than if he is given his break here.
He signed a new contract last month. He wants to be here and if the big boys come in for him at least we have the power to say no.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
I don't know. Maybe he's not third choice. Maybe Emery told him himself, Holding and Mavropanos will be behind Mustafi and Sokratis. All I know is it will obviously be a mutual decision because it has to be, and if Chambers has got some sort of indication that his game time might be restricted to cup games, Europa League and being a back up to the two more experienced players then I can see why he may want to go on loan to another PL club and play every week.

He'll prove his value by playing week in week out as first choice at Fulham or another Premier League club. He won't prove his value sitting on the bench for us and then being called upon after five games when he's rusty and lacking minutes, makes a mistake and then drops out of the team and the cycle repeats itself.

Last I'll say on it because I'm repeating myself but he either needs to be playing as a starter at Arsenal or playing as a starter at somewhere like Fulham. Sitting on the bench with the hope of becoming first choice could lead to 10-15 Premier League appearances which is a waste of time compared to 30+ at Fulham. It's a short term loss for a long term gain, he'll come back a better player if he get's 30+ games at Fulham.
We have a new manager with a new system, it's better for him to stay here, play 1000 minutes and learn the systems rather than playing 2000 minutes at Fulham.
It seems Emery just doesn't rate him and he isn't his 3rd choice CB, simple as that.

Last edited:

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
I don't understand why Chambers is so overrated here.

I'm not saying he's a bad player but how can you say that he was the most consistent CB last season when he hasn't even played 5 games in a row since his first season .
He has some playing time mostly against weak opposition.

If Wenger AND Emery, two coaches who see him play every day at training, who are known to give their chance to youngster don't see anything special in him and were ready to let him go on loan then he can't be that good / that special.

There isn't a single club that has made a good enough offer to make us sell.

And tbf we have 3 young CB in the squad and I don't think we can develop all 3. We have to make a choice.
I don't see anything special in Chambers. His passing is good but he's always been a weak defender who is way to soft imo to play as a CB in the premiership for a club such as ours.

Even if Mustafi was playing like a donkey and Chambers has deserved more playing time, tbf Calum isn't good enough or ready yet to be the answer to our defensive mess.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
He wasn't "the most consistent CB last season" but towards the end of last season and through to pre-season his game seemed to improve significantly. Given Koscielny's long-term injury, the general doubts over Mustafi and Mertsesacker's retirement - and the fact he was given a new contract - it was reasonable to expect he had risen in the pecking order and is considered part of Emery's plans.

If Chambers goes on loan for the season it means Mustafi stays for sure.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I don't understand why Chambers is so overrated here.

I'm not saying he's a bad player but how can you say that he was the most consistent CB last season

We can because our other defenders were freaking trash? Save Mavropanos who was impressive in his few appearances?

TheArsenalis

We have a new manager with a new system, it's better for him to stay here, play 1000 minutes and learn the systems rather than playing 2000 minutes at Fulham.
It seems Emery just doesn't rate him and he isn't his 3rd choice CB, simple as that.
I dont think its the ratings perse. But he plays right side cb. Mustafi is staying, and sacratis is also right sided cb. Only holding and the other young greek guys plays left sided cb. The experienced guys are ahead of him. He is more likely to not get played so makes more sense to send him on loan, atleast the others can cover left sided cb chambers cannot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom