• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers: Here or Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobP

Memri Fan
I'm guessing Emery is looking for his Motta and may be unconvinced by Xhaka. That's perhaps why we've heard of offers for N'Zonzi, and why Chambers is being tried there.

Yet another poster who seeks to wish Xhaka away.

He's only just signed a new contract. He's here to stay. Get used to it.

On Chambers:

Some are reading too much into him playing as a DM. In his time at both Valencia and Sevilla, Emery would frequently switch the likes of Marchena and Maduro between midfield and defense. It's just him trying to remain tactically flexible.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
In my opinion the last thing Chambers needs right now is to be told to re-adjust and learn another position. He's had too much of that already. He's a centre-half, maybe at times he can do a job elsewhere, but he's a centre-half. You have to know what you are.

Agree with this and was just about to post similar. The end of season performances felt like chambers finally taking one step forward so hopefully this doesn't put him back.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
I don't think Emery sees Xhaka as a DM at all. I'm guessing he intends to play him alongside Torreira, with Chambers as backup for that DM position.

I was actually a bit amused Wenger didn't try this. Chambers isn't a good passer, but his positioning and his defensive ability make him a much better attempted DM than Xhaka.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
In his first season when the Koscielny/Mertesacker was clicking Chambers played mainly RB but also a few games DM & CB.
Where he did well, but when Xhaka arrived, we never tried that idea again. Considering how Coquelin managed to make our midfield solid, despite being arguably even more limited than Chambers, him alongside Xhaka/Wilshere/Ramsey could and should have been tried.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I like Chambers and he's a steady player but not good enough to be a starting CB. I think Emery feels the same and is giving him a chance elsewhere before deciding if he has a future with us. Also with Lichsteiners arrival our RB position is sorted, and Chambers is not fast enough in that position anyway.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I don't think Emery sees Xhaka as a DM at all. I'm guessing he intends to play him alongside Torreira, with Chambers as backup for that DM position.

I was actually a bit amused Wenger didn't try this. Chambers isn't a good passer, but his positioning and his defensive ability make him a much better attempted DM than Xhaka.

He definitely isn't and DM is completely different to a CB. Chambers has played DM for us ... he isn't a patch on Xhaka.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
I have been calling for this for a few years, I have always thought it could suit him.
He played in midfield for England under age teams and some of their highly respected coaches have said that is where they see him long term.
He'll be the English Busquets.

I am really liking Emery atm

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I have been calling for this for a few years, I have always thought it could suit him.
He played in midfield for England under age teams and some of their highly respected coaches have said that is where they see him long term.
He'll be the English Busquets.

I am really liking Emery atm
Can't remember which game it was but pretty sure it was against a big side like Chelsea or Pool and Calum really impressed me at DM there. Thought we'd see more of it but Arsène just never put him there again. I remember the forum the next day was awash with praise for Chambers 'the new DM solution'

He definitely isn't and DM is completely different to a CB. Chambers has played DM for us ... he isn't a patch on Xhaka.
Not sure if this is a compliment or an insult.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
He's not a midfielder, but he can be a much better DM than Xhaka. Xhaka is not a DM, any effort to play him there has failed. His best form came when we played 3 in the middle, making him one of 3, instead of a sole DM

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Yet another poster who seeks to wish Xhaka away.

He's only just signed a new contract. He's here to stay. Get used to it.

On Chambers:

Some are reading too much into him playing as a DM. In his time at both Valencia and Sevilla, Emery would frequently switch the likes of Marchena and Maduro between midfield and defense. It's just him trying to remain tactically flexible.

Funny how people just gloss over this fact. Chambers may have games at DM, but he will primarily be a CB. In a 3 he would be used as hybrid DM/CB. But Xhaka is our main DLP/DM.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
He's not a midfielder, but he can be a much better DM than Xhaka. Xhaka is not a DM, any effort to play him there has failed. His best form came when we played 3 in the middle, making him one of 3, instead of a sole DM
Xhaka is a DM... And Chambers is not a better defensive midfielder than Xhaka. A CB does not equate an automatically competent DM.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Chambers as a DM is a backwards step to the Coquelin days. Fine if injuries call for it but not exactly the midfield of a title contender.

Wryer

Don't mind me, but I find it quite amusing that there is always a suggestion to "try" a defender in midfield just because he can, defend?

Bit oversimplified. It's a totally different scope of view. A Aey prerequisite to make that transition is spatial awareness, and second, distribution. Based on what we've seen about Chambers, he doesn't have both in abundance. In midfield a lot of defending is 360 degrees, as opposed to a central defender which is narrower most of the time. You also don't have time on the ball.

Gilberto, Busquets, Mascherano all have those qualities (even before they made the transition) and that's why they were successful.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Don't mind me, but I find it quite amusing that there is always a suggestion to "try" a defender in midfield just because he can, defend?

Bit oversimplified. It's a totally different scope of view. A Aey prerequisite to make that transition is spatial awareness, and second, distribution. Based on what we've seen about Chambers, he doesn't have both in abundance. In midfield a lot of defending is 360 degrees, as opposed to a central defender which is narrower most of the time. You also don't have time on the ball.

Gilberto, Busquets, Mascherano all have those qualities (even before they made the transition) and that's why they were successful.

Great post

People bring their Xhaka hate everywhere nowadays.

True. Same with Ramsey, Özil and Lacazette.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
It kind of suggests all these renewed players are not exactly key to Emerys plans or a signal some great admiration of the player. Just protecting assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom