• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers: Here or Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
He’s not good enough to start for us in defense or midfield so why keep him? Why leave £20m sitting in the stands when you can put it towards a CB for the first XI or a backup right back? People moan year after year about not getting good fees for our players and now you’d rather have one sit on the bench and diminish in value.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

He’s not good enough to start for us in defense or midfield so why keep him? Why leave £20m sitting in the stands when you can put it towards a CB for the first XI or a backup right back? People moan year after year about not getting good fees for our players and now you’d rather have one sit on the bench and diminish in value.

It just depends how much you could get for him imo. You never know with injuries especially, we could of done with him this year but if someone offers 20m you take it, however I'd be surprised if we get near that.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
If we bring back Bielik and he is happy enough to play a rotation role helping our ageing defence and rotate with Torreira than I'm happy to sell Chambers for 25-30m and invest that money in something bigger.
Even if we decide to keep Chambers and get rid of Mustafi and Elneny, it would be a huge improvement for us.

Tom349

I would rather Chambers as third string right back to Jenkinson/Lichensteiner, third string holding mid than El Neny and a first choice centreback to Mustafi in a back three and a back up in a back four. All three of those guys should go before deciding what to do with Chambers.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I suspect there's going to be a dog fight this summer for decent defenders, as we're by no means the only club with a dodgy and ageing defence, so any young players we already have and who might improve with intensive coaching should, imo , be kept. Otherwise we may find ourselves selling young and promising and replacing with old and declining

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I am who often complains that we hold onto players for far too long and allow their value to drop. Chambers was one of those players but I think he has shown enough on loan to be brought back and given a shot. Iwobi is the one we should be looking to move on as he has had more than enough opportunities to cement his place in the team.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I never doubted Chambers but been saying it almost ever since he arrived: he is a late bloomer. needs that experience under his belt for everything to click and become top player.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I am who often complains that we hold onto players for far too long and allow their value to drop. Chambers was one of those players but I think he has shown enough on loan to be brought back and given a shot. Iwobi is the one we should be looking to move on as he has had more than enough opportunities to cement his place in the team.
Certainly better than Mustafi. I say bring him back to replace Mustafi unless we are dipping into the market for a CB

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
I would rather Chambers as third string right back to Jenkinson/Lichensteiner, third string holding mid than El Neny and a first choice centreback to Mustafi in a back three and a back up in a back four. All three of those guys should go before deciding what to do with Chambers.

Or to put it another way you want a £15-£20m third choice right back or third choice CDM. Yeah, stupid.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
unless we are dipping into the market for a CB

Think that'll be the crunch line here. Despite Holding's great form pre injury I think with the age of Koscielny Arsenal should definitely look for another CB of starting quality. So down the line it's Sokratis, X, Holding.

But just for next season, even if Emery holds onto the back three, Sokratis, X, Kos, Holding, Chambers and potentially Mavropanos or another youngster is a bit much. Imo, if we can get a decent fee for Chambers sell and reinvest.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Think that'll be the crunch line here. Despite Holding's great form pre injury I think with the age of Koscielny Arsenal should definitely look for another CB of starting quality. So down the line it's Sokratis, X, Holding.

But just for next season, even if Emery holds onto the back three, Sokratis, X, Kos, Holding, Chambers and potentially Mavropanos or another youngster is a bit much. Imo, if we can get a decent fee for Chambers sell and reinvest.
See, proper Technical Director thinking there. :lol:

Those 3 will go anyway, Lich will be out of contract! My issue with Chambers is not that I think he's a bad player, I just don't think he's good enough for us if we want to win things, whether its CB or DM he will never be top level.
No but you can say that about 80% of our squad. i dont think there will be a massive turn over in players, and i believe theres plenty ahead of chambers i would want to see leave first but i do feel like its going to be maybe 4 or 5 out and 2 or 3 in, In the grand scheme Chambers isnt much of a problem, If we end up in the europa league then he will get his fair share of games in cup competitions. I just feel Emery might want to work with chambers as his got potential to do a job well, He clearly doesnt want people like Elneny and he will be mindful he doesnt want a squad thats to small so the dead wood will be shifted out over a few windows rather then all in the summer.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
No but you can say that about 80% of our squad. i dont think there will be a massive turn over in players, and i believe theres plenty ahead of chambers i would want to see leave first but i do feel like its going to be maybe 4 or 5 out and 2 or 3 in, In the grand scheme Chambers isnt much of a problem, If we end up in the europa league then he will get his fair share of games in cup competitions. I just feel Emery might want to work with chambers as his got potential to do a job well, He clearly doesnt want people like Elneny and he will be mindful he doesnt want a squad thats to small so the dead wood will be shifted out over a few windows rather then all in the summer.

Well for a start we have Ramsey, Cech, Lichtsteiner, Welbeck and Jenks all at the end of their contacts. Then we have Elneny, Mustafi likely to be sold, that's a total of 7 already.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent

Not forgetting monreal as well mate.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Not forgetting monreal as well mate.

Didn't forget him, but left him out due to question marks over his future. It's been speculated about a return to Spain and Arsenal has been linked to leftbacks recently as well.

Tbh I'd rather keep him as an backup option for CB in a back three than not sell Chambers. Chambers has looked good at times and I think he has the level to be 4th choice CB or something similar at Arsenal, but he's definitely looking for regular game time. Monreal is experienced, can play at LB and CB and probably wouldn't be too unhappy about dropping down the pecking order at his age. He's been a standout pro and I doubt he'd make a fuzz. Also, I'm not a big fan of too aggressive squad overhauls and a long standing, super professional member of the squad like Monreal surely is an integral part to team harmony.

Sokratis, Mr. X, Holding, Koscielny, Monreal and one of the youngsters like Mavropanos while selling Chambers seems like a reasonable choice of CBs in terms of quality, age, experience, game time and squad harmony - if the back three will still be a regular go to option next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom