• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers: Here or Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Really happy for Calum. He deserved it as he was one of the few bright spots in what turned out to be a dreadfully disappointing season that began with fairly high hopes for Fulham.

As for his future at Arsenal, I like Calum and think he's a good player, but I'm not sure he's really a Top 6 level player. Coming off being named Fulham's Player of the Season, his value is probably at its peak and there should be quite a bit of interest from clubs in the bottom half of the table as well as the newly promoted clubs. It might be prudent to sell him on this summer and use the money to bring in players with more upside.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
I'm slightly leaning more towards keeping him as a squad player depending who we bring in. Selling him isn't the worse idea though, especially now he had a fairly decent season.

If we do decide to sell, we should try to get closer to the £30m mark. No point selling around £20m, that wouldn't even buy you a decent player from the Championship in this current market.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

It's actually shocking how much stock people are putting into this 'player of the season' tag for a woeful team that were relegated.

Who is putting? You mean when people say it might bring couple millions more if sold? Doesn't sound way too optimistic to me.

Great achievement for a loan player, not very usual I think. I would be happy to keep him because of his versatility. He is 24 and has contract until 2022. I think the POTY for Fulham title doesn't vanish from his history after one year.

Great loan either way, good for Arsenal.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Why are people talking about selling after having sych a good season. Torreira, Xhaka, Gunedouzi and Chambers would make for very good quartet of CM options.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Why are people talking about selling after having sych a good season. Torreira, Xhaka, Gunedouzi and Chambers would make for very good quartet of CM options.

Because we're poor and could do with the money we'd get from selling him...

Beast Incarnate

I just can't see us getting 20-30 mil for him.

He's not good enough for the teams above us, and I don't think the teams that would want him could afford that much.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If we qualify for Champs League, I think we should definitely keep him. He's definitely improved over the last couple of seasons and his ability to play CB, CM, and RB should be really helpful.

Chambers' technical ability should also help us build out of the back too.

This season he requested going on loan because he wanted consistent minutes and it paid off for him.

Ideally, we'd sell Mustafi and Elneny, and Chambers can get their minutes. I'd send Mavro on loan to some club in the Bundesliga.

Kos, Sokratis, Holding, Chambers, and maybe Saliba would be a solid group of CBs with a great mixture of youth and experience. And with Champs League football next season, all of them should be confident that they'd get enough minutes.

PoleInGoal

Player:Tomiyasu
If Liverpool can get 20m for Solanke, who has hardly played in the PL, we should be able to get that for Chambers who has shown in both his loan spells that he is a good player

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
If Liverpool can get 20m for Solanke, who has hardly played in the PL, we should be able to get that for Chambers who has shown in both his loan spells that he is a good player
am I missing something here? why this talk of selling a player who has proved himself out on loan, whilst we have a fair number of players who have regularly failed to prove themselves whilst playing for us

or is the new rule sell anyone who might fetch a few bob, and only hang on to those players no one else wants? with what aim in view?

Santi Claus

Like others have said, he isn't a top 6 level player and IMO he never will be. Sell him on and put the money elsewhere. Saying we should keep him because he can fill in multiple positions is daft since he isn't good enough in any of them. Technical ability is too poor for midfield, he's too slow for RB, and he could be decent at CB but I don't trust him not to have lapses of concentration/judgement akin to Mustafi plus I'd rather give any extra minutes to Holding once he's back.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
There are worse than him who need moving on quicker but he's a squad player at best. I'd say sell anything with a pulse that's not going to improve us dramatically. He's also played well as a regular and I'm not sure he'll be as good as a stop gap with us. Sixteen players we can trust to do a job supplemented by quality youth are what we need.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He got moved into midfield for Fulham didn’t he? Hard to see a reason for keeping him if that’s his best positions.

Far better options out there, unless his happy with the Elneny role and providing CB/RB cover.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member

We are idiots though when it comes to getting decent money for seĺling players. Nowhere near as good as liverpool. Don't know how they do it. Getting 20m for a striker who I think has 1 goal in 31 games.

PoleInGoal

Player:Tomiyasu
am I missing something here? why this talk of selling a player who has proved himself out on loan, whilst we have a fair number of players who have regularly failed to prove themselves whilst playing for us

or is the new rule sell anyone who might fetch a few bob, and only hang on to those players no one else wants? with what aim in view?

Let's say we get £20m for Chambers. Last summer this sort of fee bought us one of:

Torreira (25m)
Leno (20m)
Sokratis (18m)

Swapping a Chambers-level player for one of the above is a straightforward decision.

The fact is that we have missed out on millions in transfer fees by missing the right time to sell them, e.g. Joel Campbell, Sanchez, Ramsey. This is the right time to sell Chambers while his stock is high and several mid-table clubs would likely be interested.

VancouverCanuck

Didn't watch Fulham last season and no idea how well he did.

If Emery thinks his ceiling is only a squaddie, and if someone offers us 20-25mil, we should definitely sell.

That amount of money is more than enough to buy us someone who can fill the role as a squaddie, with some upside potential.

Don't want another Joel Campbell situation here. Total financial mismanagement.

OSBK

Established Member
He goes for 25-30mill all day long. Everton, westham, leceister all would take him and he would do ok at that level.

He has ability and on the ball he is a very good player but i do feel cl football is beyond him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom