• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Calum Chambers: Here or Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

You can see why a lot of Saints fans are saying he's a better prospect than Shaw, reminds me so much of Gary Cahill but he'll be even better if he keeps improving, bargain at £16M.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I really like his performances in Emirates Cup very good defender and tackler too. if he keep improving i can see him starting ahead of Debuchy as right back.

blaze_of_glory

Yeah I think he was arguably our most solid performer over the two games. Though Campbell and Sanogo didn't get a chance again today.

Very promising stuff from Chambers, looks a really good buy.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
GDeep said:
Serious serious talent. If only he was a few inches taller.

I wouldn't be to worried. He's very strong for his age and seems good in the air. I don't think John Terry, Phil Jagielka and Phil Jones are giants either, all around 6' or 6'1. All very strong in the air though.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Looks a talent. Too early to talk about bargains though, serious outlay for a lad with his profile.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
People are going a bit mad on this one though. 2 good friendly performances and he's already going to be our saviour/future captain/the next Pope. We've had many an overhyped player go down the gutter, although Calum does seem very promising.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Can see why Wenger bought him.

Good passing range and composure on the ball, intelligent reading of the game. Calm influence really - you could see him potentially being a leader-like character at some point in his career but very early days and he hasn't really been tested. A blunt Benfica attack and an unfit Falcao in an exhibition tournament (albeit Falcao did score).

Very promising, and he doesn't seem fazed at all. Bodes well.

darkgunner

He has been very good in the 2 games he has played, but he has made a few errors mainly positional. But it's to be expected of someone who has not had much first team experience. Hopefully with the likes of Mertesacker and Koscielny around to learn from, he will be able to advance his game and cut out those errors.

If he performs when called upon this season, he should definitely get into the England setup with the RB and CB positions being so weak currently. He can definitely crush Glen Johnson's hopes of playing another game for England, although that may be difficult with no-brain Hodgson in charge.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
Matt Law @Matt_Law_DT · 38m

Wenger made it clear after Arsenal game that he has signed Calum Chambers as a centre back or central midfielder - not really a right back

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
SiMamu said:
Matt Law @Matt_Law_DT · 38m

Wenger made it clear after Arsenal game that he has signed Calum Chambers as a centre back or central midfielder - not really a right back

Just as I thought.

Bellerin has obviously been promoted over Jenkinson.

Chambers will fill both positions if we're hit with injuries.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
blaze_of_glory said:
Guess that means Bellerin will be staying as part of the senior team..?

Looks that way!

Great opportunity but still a little worried about him defensively, but this is positive news as far as I'm concerned.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
on Calum Chambers’ composure…
He’s one of the players over the two games who played very well. He’s 19 years old and he came here without talking, he plays two good games and is not phased by the quality of the games and the opponents at his first time at the Emirates at 19. He’s one of the satisfactions of the weekend.

on whether his future is at centre back…
He can play as well central midfield because he’s got good technique, good mobility and is a great distance runner. At the moment it’s where I can have a look at him. But I think he can also play central midfield.

Yeah, looking like CB/CM for the young buck. Very impressed with him.

Iceman10

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/03/calum-chambers-destined-for-arsenal-midfield-role-hints-Arsène-wenger-4820128/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/03/calum-cha ... r-4820128/</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

‘He can play as well central midfield because he’s got good technique, good mobility and is a great distance runner,’ said the Frenchman.
At the end of the season he didn’t play too much at Southampton. But I made my mind up to buy him after I saw him against us.

‘He’s one of the players over the two games who played very well.
‘He’s 19 years old and he came here without talking, he plays two good games and is not phased by the quality of the games and the opponents at his first time at the Emirates at 19. He’s one of the satisfactions of the weekend.’

"Came here without talking" is an interesting phrase, not sure if it relates to prior to the transfer or after the transfer.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
MutableEarth said:
blaze_of_glory said:
Guess that means Bellerin will be staying as part of the senior team..?

Looks that way!

Great opportunity but still a little worried about him defensively, but this is positive news as far as I'm concerned.

He cant be worse than Jenkinson was defensively, and he's a ****load better offensively.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Really like the look of chambers but no way he's here as 4th choice CB and 5th choice (at best) CM surely his principle position will be second choice right back?

cannonade

Established Member
Well he's going to get a lot of games as BFG rounds into shape, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him at DM as a backup. We were concerned about depth/fatigue at CB last season and now we don't have to be. CC is the real deal for me. Going to be a great one for Arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom